Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    ...in the 2018-19 season, that is if they're smart and want to do things right by giving the new coach the 2017-18 season to recruit a team. If their plan is to start next season they would be setting themselves up for a very tough start to the program because that wouldn't be enough time to recruit enough quality players since so many will already have made commitments by the time a coach gets hired.
    I don't think there's any chance of 2017-18 season for a Nazareth women's program. I'd put money on 2019-20 before I'd think they would make an attempt at playing this year.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    I don't think there's any chance of 2017-18 season for a Nazareth women's program. I'd put money on 2019-20 before I'd think they would make an attempt at playing this year.
    Why did you completely skip 2018-19? That's the year my money is on. A D3 school isn't going to put out 2 years of a coach's salary before the program starts playing.
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-26-2017 at 07:32 PM.

The SUNYAC has already rejected SUNY Canton's application to join the conference as a full sports member.

Why did you completely skip 2018-19? That's the year my money is on. A D3 school isn't going to put out 2 years of a coach's salary before the program starts playing.
    I was being in rhetorical that as unlikely as it would be to have 2 years of preparation (though LVC did about 18 months albeit with one coach for both genders), that would be more likely than trying to put something together for this coming fall. I agree that if this is what it looks like, Naz would be starting in 2018.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

I was being in rhetorical that as unlikely as it would be to have 2 years of preparation (though LVC did about 18 months albeit with one coach for both genders), that would be more likely than trying to put something together for this coming fall. I agree that if this is what it looks like, Naz would be starting in 2018.
    What LVC did was a complete joke and an insult to the women's game thinking a guy with zero experience in women's hockey could actually recruit and field a half decent team. This season's results prove that. The players he recruited were so bad the coach left after just one season. Now they are worse off than starting from scratch because they now have a crappy reputation. Guess who's probably doing the recruiting again now while they search for a new coach?! Brutal situation!

I've heard the WIAC schools are close to working something out with a current conference that would also include 3-4 other institutions. Meaning, those 3-4 institutions would be leaving their current conference. Nothing would change until the 2018-19' season though. It's just a matter of time before the west has a major realignment.

"Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, 9/11/01

Post Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Summary of Stories To Watch:

Coaching Vacancies:
    Elmira*

*Included because HC still has an interim tag.
    Strike Elmira from the list of Coaching Vacancies... announced today that Tim Crowley has been named as Head Coach, no longer 'interim'... <link to story>

Cheers!!!
    ~TTF
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Looks like NEC is looking for a coach. Anyone hear what happened to Kehoe? the posting is on the AHCA website but no news release on their website....yet.

So if I've got it all figured out correctly we're looking at 63 total D3 teams in 2017-18, so 9 teams for the NCAA tournament, and then in 2018-19 the total goes up to 65 with the addition of Suffolk and Nazareth for a 10 team tournament field. This is what I have for next season:

2017-18

CHC
    1 Becker
    2 Canton
    3 Endicott
    4 Johnson and Wales (moving to NEHC in 18-19)
    5 Morrisville
    6 Nichols
    7 Salem State (moving to NEHC in 18-19)

ECAC West
    1 Buffalo
    2 Cortland
    3 Oswego
    4 Plattsburgh
    5 Potsdam

MIAC
    1 Augsburg
    2 Bethel
    3 Concordia (MN)
    4 Gustavus
    5 Hamline
    6 St. Benedict
    7 St. Catherine
    8 St. Mary's
    9 St. Olaf
    10 St. Thomas

NCHA
    1 Adrian
    2 Aurora
    3 Concordia (WI)
    4 Finlandia
    5 Lake Forest
    6 Marian
    7 Northland
    8 St. Norbert
    9 St. Scholastica
    10 Trine

NEHC
    1 Castleton
    2 New England College
    3 Norwich
    4 Plymouth State
    5 Salve Regina (moving to CHC in 18-19)
    6 Southern Maine
    7 UMass-Boston
    8 University of New England (moving to CHC in 18-19)
    (Suffolk will be new and will join in 18-19)

NESCAC
    1 Amherst
    2 Bowdoin
    3 Colby
    4 Connecticut College
    5 Hamilton
    6 Middlebury
    7 Trinity
    8 Wesleyan
    9 Williams

UCHC
    1 Chatham
    2 Elmira
    3 Kings
    4 Lebanon Valley
    5 Manhattanville
    6 Neumann
    7 Stevenson
    8 Utica
    9 Wilkes
    10 William Smith

WIAC
    1 Wisconsin-Eau Claire
    2 Wisconsin-River Falls
    3 Wisconsin-Stevens Point
    4 Wisconsin-Superior

63 TOTAL D-III TEAMS

For 2018-19:
    including Suffolk (NEHC) and Nazareth (ECAC West?)

So if I've got it all figured out correctly we're looking at 63 total D3 teams in 2017-18, so 9 teams for the NCAA tournament, and then in 2018-19 the total goes up to 65 with the addition of Suffolk and Nazareth for a 10 team tournament field. This is what I have for next season:

2017-18

CHC
    1 Becker
    2 Canton
    3 Endicott
    4 Johnson and Wales (moving to NEHC in 18-19)
    5 Morrisville
    6 Nichols
    7 Salem State (moving to NEHC in 18-19)

ECAC West
    1 Buffalo
    2 Cortland
    3 Oswego
    4 Plattsburgh
    5 Potsdam

MIAC
    1 Augsburg
    2 Bethel
    3 Concordia (MN)
    4 Gustavus
    5 Hamline
    6 St. Benedict
    7 St. Catherine
    8 St. Mary's
    9 St. Olaf
    10 St. Thomas

NCHA
    1 Adrian
    2 Aurora
    3 Concordia (WI)
    4 Finlandia
    5 Lake Forest
    6 Marian
    7 Northland
    8 St. Norbert
    9 St. Scholastica
    10 Trine

NEHC
    1 Castleton
    2 New England College
    3 Norwich
    4 Plymouth State
    5 Salve Regina (moving to CHC in 18-19)
    6 Southern Maine
    7 UMass-Boston
    8 University of New England (moving to CHC in 18-19)
    (Suffolk will be new and will join in 18-19)

NESCAC
    1 Amherst
    2 Bowdoin
    3 Colby
    4 Connecticut College
    5 Hamilton
    6 Middlebury
    7 Trinity
    8 Wesleyan
    9 Williams

UCHC
    1 Chatham
    2 Elmira
    3 Kings
    4 Lebanon Valley
    5 Manhattanville
    6 Neumann
    7 Stevenson
    8 Utica
    9 Wilkes
    10 William Smith

WIAC
    1 Wisconsin-Eau Claire
    2 Wisconsin-River Falls
    3 Wisconsin-Stevens Point
    4 Wisconsin-Superior

63 TOTAL D-III TEAMS

For 2018-19:

Nice recap!
    The only fly in the ointment is that Nationals don't automatically go up to 10 teams, they have to put a proposal forward and vote on it. Which I'm guessing means no sooner than 2019-2020 for the 10th team.

For 2018-19:
    Nazareth Men are following the rest of the ECAC West into the UCHC. My guess is the women follow suit, though that would make for 11 teams unless someone folds or moves. I'm guessing the non-MAC schools wouldn't mind squeezing them as it would be a 6-5 MAC vs Non-MAC split and serves as it's insurance should enough MAC schools have a women's team for them to break away...It would leave Chatham, Neumann, Naz, Utica, Elmira and William Smith needing just one to keep an autobid if they stand together.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

"Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, 9/11/01

Question Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Has there been any "talk" about Bryn Athyn putting a Women's team on the ice? The Men's side is transitioning from ACHA to NCAA starting next year, although I could not identify which conference they will be targeting.

The population of that school is rather small at ~260 undergrads, but there does appear to be a disproportionate number of male athletes to female athletes, coming in at 89:60 (74:43 unduplicated)... this extracted from the data available in the link posted in the North Dakota thread (link). That data did not include Men's Hockey, or the Field Hockey team that is starting-up with the 2017-2018 season.

Just one more to speculate about...

Cheers!!!
    ~TTF
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Quote Originally Posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
    Has there been any "talk" about Bryn Athyn putting a Women's team on the ice? The Men's side is transitioning from ACHA to NCAA starting next year, although I could not identify which conference they will be targeting.

The population of that school is rather small at ~260 undergrads, but there does appear to be a disproportionate number of male athletes to female athletes, coming in at 89:60 (74:43 unduplicated)... this extracted from the data available in the link posted in the North Dakota thread (link). That data did not include Men's Hockey, or the Field Hockey team that is starting-up with the 2017-2018 season.

Just one more to speculate about...

Cheers!!!
    ~TTF
    According to the other site, Bryn Athyn men will be joining the UCHC
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Wow. DIII has really become watered down with all these new, obscure entries. The handful of competitive teams will have a hard time finding REAL competition among the 57 or so cannon fodder teams that make up the rest of the league. ECAC West, and this UCHC, for example are just laughable now. It's kind of sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    Wow. DIII has really become watered down with all these new, obscure entries. The handful of competitive teams will have a hard time finding REAL competition among the 57 or so cannon fodder teams that make up the rest of the league. ECAC West, and this UCHC, for example are just laughable now. It's kind of sad really.
    Are you suggesting that unless someone is playing at one of your designated "top 8" programs that everyone else is cannon fodder? That's a little harsh isn't it? No doubt it takes time for new teams to get entrenched, but to imply that there are only 8 teams that have a worthwhile program might be a little excessive....

Summary of Stories To Watch:

Coaching Vacancies:
    Colby*
    Chatham
    Nichols
    Lebanon Valley
    Castleton
    Salem State
    Elmira*

*Included because HC still has an interim tag.

New Programs for 2017:

Aurora - Aurora, IL
    Trine - Angola, IN
    King's College - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Wilkes University - Wilkes-Barre, PA

(Anyone I'm forgetting? Suffolk starts in 2018 from what I've read.)

Conference Alignment
    The ECAC West is down to five SUNY schools (Plattsburgh, Oswego, Potsdam, Cortland and Buffalo State). They have 2 seasons to get back to at least 7 to keep their Pool A bid to the NCAA tournament. There are two SUNY women's programs playing in the Colonial Hockey Conference: SUNY Canton and Morrisville State. There could be a defection of them to form a SUNYAC Women's League with the 5 ECAC West teams. Or they could find new programs or poach existing programs to join the ECAC West, leaving it the only ECAC conference left in Division III. Or they could do nothing and compete with the WIAC for a Pool B bid.

Anyone else have stories to watch for? And of course there will always be surprises...

apparently Chatham is off the market. Just hired Jessica Newstrom according to D3hockey

Terry Mannor is leaving St. Mary's (MN) so they'll need a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Are you suggesting that unless someone is playing at one of your designated "top 8" programs that everyone else is cannon fodder? That's a little harsh isn't it? No doubt it takes time for new teams to get entrenched, but to imply that there are only 8 teams that have a worthwhile program might be a little excessive....
    Not criticizing the "programs" per se, just the "watering down" effect of talent. And then subtract the lack of Canadian students being recruited, and it only compounds the situation. Powerhouse programs like Plattsburgh, Elmira, Middlebury, etc should rack up the National titles over the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    Not criticizing the "programs" per se, just the "watering down" effect of talent. And then subtract the lack of Canadian students being recruited, and it only compounds the situation. Powerhouse programs like Plattsburgh, Elmira, Middlebury, etc should rack up the National titles over the next 5-10 years.
    I'm not sure if Middlebury is even going to be able to rack up too many NESCAC championships over the next 5-10 years. The parity in that league is growing. Conn basically and predictably choked when it counted and several other teams are right there battling for the top in that league. Plattsburgh, obviously, with or without more Canadians. Elmira, in theory, yes. River Falls should play into the equation, as should Adrian, Norwich, and maybe a few others, at least until some other programs have a breakthrough into that group.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    apparently Chatham is off the market. Just hired Jessica Newstrom according to D3hockey
    Salem State? The head coach is still listed.

Thread Information