Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Where did the Buffalo State coach go? Did she move on to another position? Was she let go or did she leave on her own? Seems like she had the program heading in the right direction.
    My understanding is she left and moved back home to Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      My understanding is she left and moved back home to Ontario.

that would be a shame if that's the reason. She was only about 90 minutes from home in Buffalo.

Comment

The Northeast Women's Hockey League is now official. (Remaining SUNY schools from the old ECAC West)

http://oswegolakers.com/news/2017/6/...ed-league.aspx

No mention of league's future plans for getting up to the needed seven teams for 2019-20 season to keep an AQ. They still keep the AQ for two years, while the UCHC doesn't have one.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          The Northeast Women's Hockey League is now official. (Remaining SUNY schools from the old ECAC West)

http://oswegolakers.com/news/2017/6/...ed-league.aspx

No mention of league's future plans for getting up to the needed seven teams for 2019-20 season to keep an AQ. They still keep the AQ for two years, while the UCHC doesn't have one.
          Can't both the UCHC and the NEWHL claim 5 core member AQ status??
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Certainly looks like Canton and Morrisville will eventually be headed to this new conference. That puts the CHC in jeopardy and would make Endicott the perennial favourite in that conference.

If those two schools move over it almost feels like CHC and UCHC would have to work something out to make 2 viable conferences out of that group.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
              Certainly looks like Canton and Morrisville will eventually be headed to this new conference. That puts the CHC in jeopardy and would make Endicott the perennial favourite in that conference.

If those two schools move over it almost feels like CHC and UCHC would have to work something out to make 2 viable conferences out of that group.
              If Canton and Morrisville join as everyone is predicting will they drop the NEWHL brand and just become the SUNYAC? NEWHL isn't very unique in terms of initials, lots of chance for confusion and the good URLs are taken by other hockey organizations using it. It's also likely an added expense to maintain a separate conference instead of folding it into a larger one.

As obvious as Canton and Morrisville joining the other SUNYs seem, I have doubts because it seems like if that's what they plan on doing there was plenty of time to have that done and announce them as members with the launch announcement. Unless them joining is on the NEWHL wish list, but those two haven't agreed (or contractually can't agree?) yet...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I don't know the criteria for 5 core member status but could the fact that the UCHC has a fairly new program in William Smith compared to the older SUNY programs left in the NEWHL be the reason? Or could it be because the UCHC were the one's to jump ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                If Canton and Morrisville join as everyone is predicting will they drop the NEWHL brand and just become the SUNYAC? NEWHL isn't very unique in terms of initials, lots of chance for confusion and the good URLs are taken by other hockey organizations using it. It's also likely an added expense to maintain a separate conference instead of folding it into a larger one.

As obvious as Canton and Morrisville joining the other SUNYs seem, I have doubts because it seems like if that's what they plan on doing there was plenty of time to have that done and announce them as members with the launch announcement. Unless them joining is on the NEWHL wish list, but those two haven't agreed (or contractually can't agree?) yet...

I don't know the criteria for 5 core member status but could the fact that the UCHC has a fairly new program in William Smith compared to the older SUNY programs left in the NEWHL be the reason? Or could it be because the UCHC were the one's to jump ship?
                I always thought you needed 7 teams to keep your AQ?

To your point about the odd name, it makes it easier to accept other teams that aren't SUNY schools, and you certainly have a point about Canton / Morrisville. If those two can't /won't join then all the more reason to use NEWHL as the conference name.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                  Or could it be because the UCHC were the one's to jump ship?
                  As far as I know, it's this. The UCHC does not have an automatic bid until 2019-20. NEWHL does and maintains it for 2 years getting a chance to get its membership back up to 7 to keep the AQ.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                    I always thought you needed 7 teams to keep your AQ?
                    They do. But there's a grace period for autobid conferences that break up and fall below 7 teams so that they don't lose it right away, and the question was why the UCHC couldn't claim it instead of the NEWHL

Applicable NCAA bylaw:

31.3.3.1.3 Grace Period.

A period for two consecutive academic years after the date the conference falls
                    below the seven required institutions but maintains at least four institutions (they must be core institutions
                    for multisport conferences), in the particular sport. Continued automatic-qualification eligibility shall be as
                    follows: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, Revised: 4/19/06, 5/5/06, 4/13/10)

(a) A conference shall remain eligible for automatic qualification in the particular sport if, by the expiration
                    of the grace period, the conference has a minimum of seven institutions (for multisport conferences,
                    at least four shall be core institutions) that sponsor the sport on a varsity intercollegiate basis
                    and that are eligible for the NCAA Division III championship.

(b) A conference that fails to satisfy Bylaw 31.3.3.1.3-(a) by the expiration of the grace period shall
                    no longer be eligible for automatic qualification in the particular sport until it again satisfies all
                    requirements for automatic qualification, including the two-year waiting period set forth in Bylaws
                    31.3.3.1.1-(a) and 31.3.3.1.1.1-(b).

31.3.3.1.4 Core Institution.

For purposes of Bylaw 31, a core institution is an active NCAA Division
                    III member institution that is a member of an NCAA Division III conference and participates in that conference
                    in more than one conference-sponsored sport. An institution may be a core institution in only one
                    multisport conference. An institution that was considered a core institution in more than one multisport
                    conference prior to September 1, 2011, may continue as a core institution in those conferences until it is no
                    longer an active member of the particular conference. (Adopted: 4/13/10, Revised: 1/14/12 effective 8/1/12
                    for the 2012-13 academic year)
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 06-15-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

If Canton and Morrisville join as everyone is predicting will they drop the NEWHL brand and just become the SUNYAC?
                      It's a lot more complicated than that simple assumption.

Let's put it this way. Canton already tried to join the SUNYAC as an all sports member. They were rejected. Despite Morrisville's affiliate status in men's ice hockey and field hockey, the SUNYAC doesn't want affiliate members.

Like I said. It's complicated...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Let's put it this way. Canton already tried to join the SUNYAC as an all sports member. They were rejected. Despite Morrisville's affiliate status in men's ice hockey and field hockey, the SUNYAC doesn't want affiliate members.

Which then explains why they called it the NEWHL....they're going to need more teams to keep the AQ and it seems like it won't necessarily be Canton or Morrisville.....

Comment

I'm aware Canton was rejected as a full SUNYAC member and it's one of the reasons I'm skeptical about Canton and Morrisville being a part of the new conference. Though it would be funny if setting up the NEWHL is just the SUNY women's teams working out a way to have Canton and Morrisville join the conference without those within the SUNYAC who are averse to associate members blocking it.

Comment

I'm aware Canton was rejected as a full SUNYAC member and it's one of the reasons I'm skeptical about Canton and Morrisville being a part of the new conference. Though it would be funny if setting up the NEWHL is just the SUNY women's teams working out a way to have Canton and Morrisville join the conference without those within the SUNYAC who are averse to associate members blocking it.
                            That's a good point. I'm definitely skeptical as well, but I haven't heard any rumbling of any better plans.
                            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

That certainly would be an interesting irony, wouldn't it. :-)

I can tell you that they are actively looking for two more members, but I have no idea who they are pursuing.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

That certainly would be an interesting irony, wouldn't it. :-)

I can tell you that they are actively looking for two more members, but I have no idea who they are pursuing.
                                Well they have to be looking or the AQ is gone in two years. It still perplexes me why Brockport/Geneseo/Fredonia haven't started women's hockey.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X