Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

No St. Thomas in the MIAC Playoffs this year...one year, self imposed violation upheld by the NCAA???

Post season could look like - Gustavus, Concordia, Hamline, Augsburg, Bethel in no particular order of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 123kidd View Post
    No St. Thomas in the MIAC Playoffs this year...one year, self imposed violation upheld by the NCAA???

Post season could look like - Gustavus, Concordia, Hamline, Augsburg, Bethel in no particular order of course.
    I hadn't heard about this ban. Any link to read more? Tried Google/Twitter and turned up nothing...
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Explains the exodus to Hamline.

Would like to see who's left at St. Thomas now. Anyone besides Zarembinski and Schwartzman leave? Their returning defense was probably the best in the league.

Castleton schedule is now out:

http://www.castletonsports.com/sports/wice/2017-18/schedule

A little easier schedule than last year. Hopefully gives the team a little wiggle room to put some W's on the board and slowly climb up the rankings over the next couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Castleton schedule is now out:

http://www.castletonsports.com/sport...17-18/schedule

A little easier schedule than last year. Hopefully gives the team a little wiggle room to put some W's on the board and slowly climb up the rankings over the next couple of seasons.
    I see they're not taking advantage of the second exhibition.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    I hadn't heard about this ban. Any link to read more? Tried Google/Twitter and turned up nothing...
    Yes, St.Thomas received an infraction after playoffs last year. Banned from post season play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JPtraveler View Post
    Yes, St.Thomas received an infraction after playoffs last year. Banned from post season play.

St. Thomas women's hockey coach Tom Palkowski has added two assistant coaches with impressive playing and coaching resumes -- Marty Sertich and Alexandra Zebro Kleinhuizen.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtraveler View Post

If St. Thomas can't play in the post season, how would this affect the NCAA rankings at the end of the year for teams that have either beaten them or tied them? Will they be counted in the standings, or would they basically be considered an exhibition game to teams?

Quote Originally Posted by pucko View Post
    If St. Thomas can't play in the post season, how would this affect the NCAA rankings at the end of the year for teams that have either beaten them or tied them? Will they be counted in the standings, or would they basically be considered an exhibition game to teams?
    I'm going to assume that nothing changes and if they were to get a spot based on their ranking it would simply fall to the next team down the list. That sounds reasonable....which probably means it's wrong :-)

I just wish these teams would publish their rosters to see who's left at St. Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by MND3Dad View Post
    I just wish these teams would publish their rosters to see who's left at St. Thomas.
    probably won't see rosters until the week after next. Coaches can't go on the ice until the 16th so I'm guessing no final roster decisions until then, or very few.

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

I'm going to assume that nothing changes and if they were to get a spot based on their ranking it would simply fall to the next team down the list. That sounds reasonable....which probably means it's wrong :-)
    I believe that they won't be ranked or considered for a ranking by the NCAA. They'll essentially be ignored. Games against them will count in overall NCAA record, but that's about all.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    I believe that they won't be ranked or considered for a ranking by the NCAA. They'll essentially be ignored. Games against them will count in overall NCAA record, but that's about all.
    Given the rumored transfers I'd be surprised if they'd be good enough for a ranking.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by pucko View Post
    All the games count. St. Thomas is just not going to compete in the playoffs.

Same thing happened in the SUNYAC men back when a few schools got into trouble with handing out aid to Canadian players. They finished where they finished, and then were not considered when the playoffs started, moving everyone up one.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    All the games count. St. Thomas is just not going to compete in the playoffs.

Same thing happened in the SUNYAC men back when a few schools got into trouble with handing out aid to Canadian players. They finished where they finished, and then were not considered when the playoffs started, moving everyone up one.
    I think we're talking about the NCAA rankings. Will the NCAA rank them and then ignore them come selection day or do they ignore them before doing the rankings?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

I think we're talking about the NCAA rankings. Will the NCAA rank them and then ignore them come selection day or do they ignore them before doing the rankings?
    The last time this happened when I cared (with Geneseo, Buffalo State, and Potsdam), they didn't have these regional rankings to help determine the selection. So, good question...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    The last time this happened when I cared (with Geneseo, Buffalo State, and Potsdam), they didn't have these regional rankings to help determine the selection. So, good question...
    Either way the result / impact is the same isn't it? Their games count for other teams but when it comes time to selecting teams for nationals either they're don't show up in the rankings....or the NCAA adds salt to the wound by showing their ranking (assuming they do well) and then just bypasses them.

Either way the result / impact is the same isn't it? Their games count for other teams but when it comes time to selecting teams for nationals either they're don't show up in the rankings....or the NCAA adds salt to the wound by showing their ranking (assuming they do well) and then just bypasses them.
    No, it does matter. Say St. Thomas is ranked, but then can't be given a bid. Wins and losses against them would count in the record against ranked teams criteria. If they don't rank them at all, they wouldn't matter other than as part of a team's overall record. There is potential for them to impact the selections if they are a ranked team, even if they can't be selected.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

No, it does matter. Say St. Thomas is ranked, but then can't be given a bid. Wins and losses against them would count in the record against ranked teams criteria. If they don't rank them at all, they wouldn't matter other than as part of a team's overall record. There is potential for them to impact the selections if they are a ranked team, even if they can't be selected.
    thanks for that clarification. I just assumed that the results of the games against St. Thomas would be considered equally for rankings regardless of how they were specifically treated.

Thread Information