Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    Exciting time for DIII women's hockey. The NCAA Championships Committee has approved a bracket increase for the 2017-18 season to 9 teams. Four new programs (Aurora, King's, Trine and Wilkes) will increase sport sponsorship to 63 teams (giving an access ratio of 9.69) and the potential to apply for an increase to 10 teams for the 2018-19 championship.
    Very exciting, indeed! The increase to 9 teams is great, 10 will be better. It will be very interesting to see how this impacts the distribution of talent, though. I do worry that the number of teams at the college level may be growing faster than the available player pool, but I also believe that the player pool will eventually catch up to that growth. Any "dilution of talent" is (hopefully) only a temporary situation.
    On a personal note I need thank Brian Riley, Joe Bertagna, Bruce Delvanthal, the AHCA staff and nominating committee and especially the coaches for the honor of the 2017 Joe Burke Award. Thank you all for the experience of a lifetime!
    Well deserved, George! It's always a pleasure seeing you around the rinks in the Northeast!
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Exciting time for DIII women's hockey. The NCAA Championships Committee has approved a bracket increase for the 2017-18 season to 9 teams. Four new programs (Aurora, King's, Trine and Wilkes) will increase sport sponsorship to 63 teams (giving an access ratio of 9.69) and the potential to apply for an increase to 10 teams for the 2018-19 championship.
      On a personal note I need thank Brian Riley, Joe Bertagna, Bruce Delvanthal, the AHCA staff and nominating committee and especially the coaches for the honor of the 2017 Joe Burke Award. Thank you all for the experience of a lifetime!
      Congratulations. It's folks like you that make parents like myself breathe a little easier when our daughters are far from home. Your involvement and the sense of community that it creates is truly appreciated

Comment

Two great pieces of news! Glad to hear there will be another bid to the 2017-18 championship tourney. And congratulations on the Joe Burke award, it's very well deserved.

Comment

Very exciting, indeed! The increase to 9 teams is great, 10 will be better. It will be very interesting to see how this impacts the distribution of talent, though. I do worry that the number of teams at the college level may be growing faster than the available player pool, but I also believe that the player pool will eventually catch up to that growth. Any "dilution of talent" is (hopefully) only a temporary situation.
          I think it's already been a shallow player pool for years. Just look at the large difference between the top half and bottom half of D3 teams and it's easy to see how so many programs have struggled for years. Look at some of the boxscores from the past couple of years and you'll see how ridiculously small some rosters are and how incredibly imbalanced the shots on goal are. A lot more Tier 2 girls are going to get a chance to play college hockey than ever before ans teams that have Tier 1 recruits are going to stay above teams that have Tier 2 recruits. The numbers don't lie. It's a simple case of supply and demand.
          Last edited by shelfit; 04-30-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing the 8/9 (500 mile rule nonwithstanding) game will be midweek?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I'm guessing the 8/9 (500 mile rule nonwithstanding) game will be midweek?
              So who would have played the game this year? Endicott @ Elmira? or would they have "protected" Elmira to ensure only one flight in the QF and made Endicott play @ Norwich?
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                So who would have played the game this year? Endicott @ Elmira? or would they have "protected" Elmira to ensure only one flight in the QF and made Endicott play @ Norwich?
                UW-EC had SOS and RNK over Endicott and only 91 miles from 8 seed St. Thomas...

Comment

Expect some coaching announcements this week. I know final interviews were going on last week at one school for sure. My guess is more than one!

Comment

Here's the first:

http://www.uscho.com/2017/05/04/form...ch-at-nichols/

Hearing Castleton also made a decision, expect an announcement soon.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      Here's the first:

http://www.uscho.com/2017/05/04/form...ch-at-nichols/

Hearing Castleton also made a decision, expect an announcement soon.
                      Just announced: Ashley Salerno at Castleton

Comment

Just announced: Ashley Salerno at Castleton
                        Just to be clear folks, that's a DIFFERENT Ashley Salerno from the LFL Ashley Salerno! Spartans picked up a good coach there.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                          Just to be clear folks, that's a DIFFERENT Ashley Salerno from the LFL Ashley Salerno! Spartans picked up a good coach there.

Yes, this Ashley Salerno was at UVM and Middlebury before that.

Comment

Yes, this Ashley Salerno was at UVM and Middlebury before that.
                            Nice choice but the truth is it wouldn't have been too hard to improve over the big mistake they made last time.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Nice choice but the truth is it wouldn't have been too hard to improve over the big mistake they made last time.

Remember they had limited choices. Moberg left in late August.

Comment

Congratulations Coach Salerno and Castleton women's hockey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X