Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 279

Thread: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

  1. #141

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,210

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    UNE and Salve are moving to Colonial in 2018-19. Manhattanville left NEHC for UCHC starting in 2017-18.

    NEHC is a 9-team conference starting in 2018-19.

    Norwich
    Castleton
    New England College
    Southern Maine
    Plymouth State
    UMass Boston
    Suffolk
    Johnson & Wales
    Salem State
    Take the 5 team SUNYAC and you have 14.
    West - SUNYAC + Norwich & Castleton
    East - NEC, USM, PSU, UMB, SUF, JWU, SSU

    play your division 2x and 1x against the other for a total of 19 games.

    Playoffs 1W v 4E, 2W v 3E, 1E v 4W, 2E v 3W.
    Championship at QF survivor with most points
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    711

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Take the 5 team SUNYAC and you have 14.
    West - SUNYAC + Norwich & Castleton
    East - NEC, USM, PSU, UMB, SUF, JWU, SSU

    play your division 2x and 1x against the other for a total of 19 games.

    Playoffs 1W v 4E, 2W v 3E, 1E v 4W, 2E v 3W.
    Championship at QF survivor with most points
    Based on Potsdam's 2017-18 schedule, it looks like the SUNYACs are forming something designated as the NEWHL, unless that's some sort of interim thing for this year prior to joining the NEHC under your theory. But why would they have an interim conference and not continue as the ECAC West one last year if they intend to join a pre-established conference?
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  3. #143
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    15,792
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Take the 5 team SUNYAC and you have 14.
    West - SUNYAC + Norwich & Castleton
    East - NEC, USM, PSU, UMB, SUF, JWU, SSU

    play your division 2x and 1x against the other for a total of 19 games.

    Playoffs 1W v 4E, 2W v 3E, 1E v 4W, 2E v 3W.
    Championship at QF survivor with most points
    Nice theory but I think Morrisville and Canton to the SUNY league is much more probable.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    193

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Nice theory but I think Morrisville and Canton to the SUNY league is much more probable.
    NEHC had 14 teams the last couple of seasons, leads to an unbalanced schedule: play some teams once, others twice. That throws a wrench into the system for playoff seedings. 9 teams is actually almost perfect: get a home and away with every other team with enough non-conference games to fill the schedule. Also keeps the conference healthy enough that losing the AQ isn't a concern.

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    711

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Missed this one in April. LVC has named Matt Yingst, who was previously director of operations for the Hershey Jr. Bears as well as previously worked with the men's program from 1999-2007, as the new women's head coach. Release here.

    Unless I'm forgetting someone, it looks like Buff State is the only opening...Buff State had three assistants last year they may not look very far...
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 06-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Missed this one in April. LVC has named Matt Yingst, who was previously director of operations for the Hershey Jr. Bears as well as previously worked with the men's program from 1999-2007, as the new women's head coach. Release here.

    Unless I'm forgetting someone, it looks like Buff State is the only opening...Buff State had three assistants last year they may not look very far...

    We can't possibly be done this early in the offseason...can we? Last year there were a few last minute surprises in August!
    Last edited by GTOWN; 06-14-2017 at 02:12 PM.

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,474

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Potsdam's Jordan Ott signs with the Buffalo Beauts:

    http://www.potsdambears.com/news/201...uts061417.aspx

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    376
    Where did the Buffalo State coach go? Did she move on to another position? Was she let go or did she leave on her own? Seems like she had the program heading in the right direction.

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    711

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Where did the Buffalo State coach go? Did she move on to another position? Was she let go or did she leave on her own? Seems like she had the program heading in the right direction.
    My understanding is she left and moved back home to Ontario.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    193

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    My understanding is she left and moved back home to Ontario.

    that would be a shame if that's the reason. She was only about 90 minutes from home in Buffalo.

  11. #151
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    15,792

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    The Northeast Women's Hockey League is now official. (Remaining SUNY schools from the old ECAC West)

    http://oswegolakers.com/news/2017/6/...ed-league.aspx

    No mention of league's future plans for getting up to the needed seven teams for 2019-20 season to keep an AQ. They still keep the AQ for two years, while the UCHC doesn't have one.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  12. #152

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,210
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    The Northeast Women's Hockey League is now official. (Remaining SUNY schools from the old ECAC West)

    http://oswegolakers.com/news/2017/6/...ed-league.aspx

    No mention of league's future plans for getting up to the needed seven teams for 2019-20 season to keep an AQ. They still keep the AQ for two years, while the UCHC doesn't have one.
    Can't both the UCHC and the NEWHL claim 5 core member AQ status??

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    193

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Can't both the UCHC and the NEWHL claim 5 core member AQ status??
    Certainly looks like Canton and Morrisville will eventually be headed to this new conference. That puts the CHC in jeopardy and would make Endicott the perennial favourite in that conference.

    If those two schools move over it almost feels like CHC and UCHC would have to work something out to make 2 viable conferences out of that group.

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    711

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Certainly looks like Canton and Morrisville will eventually be headed to this new conference. That puts the CHC in jeopardy and would make Endicott the perennial favourite in that conference.

    If those two schools move over it almost feels like CHC and UCHC would have to work something out to make 2 viable conferences out of that group.
    If Canton and Morrisville join as everyone is predicting will they drop the NEWHL brand and just become the SUNYAC? NEWHL isn't very unique in terms of initials, lots of chance for confusion and the good URLs are taken by other hockey organizations using it. It's also likely an added expense to maintain a separate conference instead of folding it into a larger one.

    As obvious as Canton and Morrisville joining the other SUNYs seem, I have doubts because it seems like if that's what they plan on doing there was plenty of time to have that done and announce them as members with the launch announcement. Unless them joining is on the NEWHL wish list, but those two haven't agreed (or contractually can't agree?) yet...

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Can't both the UCHC and the NEWHL claim 5 core member AQ status??
    I don't know the criteria for 5 core member status but could the fact that the UCHC has a fairly new program in William Smith compared to the older SUNY programs left in the NEWHL be the reason? Or could it be because the UCHC were the one's to jump ship?
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    193

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    If Canton and Morrisville join as everyone is predicting will they drop the NEWHL brand and just become the SUNYAC? NEWHL isn't very unique in terms of initials, lots of chance for confusion and the good URLs are taken by other hockey organizations using it. It's also likely an added expense to maintain a separate conference instead of folding it into a larger one.

    As obvious as Canton and Morrisville joining the other SUNYs seem, I have doubts because it seems like if that's what they plan on doing there was plenty of time to have that done and announce them as members with the launch announcement. Unless them joining is on the NEWHL wish list, but those two haven't agreed (or contractually can't agree?) yet...



    I don't know the criteria for 5 core member status but could the fact that the UCHC has a fairly new program in William Smith compared to the older SUNY programs left in the NEWHL be the reason? Or could it be because the UCHC were the one's to jump ship?
    I always thought you needed 7 teams to keep your AQ?

    To your point about the odd name, it makes it easier to accept other teams that aren't SUNY schools, and you certainly have a point about Canton / Morrisville. If those two can't /won't join then all the more reason to use NEWHL as the conference name.....

  16. #156
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    15,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Or could it be because the UCHC were the one's to jump ship?
    As far as I know, it's this. The UCHC does not have an automatic bid until 2019-20. NEWHL does and maintains it for 2 years getting a chance to get its membership back up to 7 to keep the AQ.

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    711

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    I always thought you needed 7 teams to keep your AQ?
    They do. But there's a grace period for autobid conferences that break up and fall below 7 teams so that they don't lose it right away, and the question was why the UCHC couldn't claim it instead of the NEWHL

    Applicable NCAA bylaw:

    31.3.3.1.3 Grace Period.

    A period for two consecutive academic years after the date the conference falls
    below the seven required institutions but maintains at least four institutions (they must be core institutions
    for multisport conferences), in the particular sport. Continued automatic-qualification eligibility shall be as
    follows: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, Revised: 4/19/06, 5/5/06, 4/13/10)

    (a) A conference shall remain eligible for automatic qualification in the particular sport if, by the expiration
    of the grace period, the conference has a minimum of seven institutions (for multisport conferences,
    at least four shall be core institutions) that sponsor the sport on a varsity intercollegiate basis
    and that are eligible for the NCAA Division III championship.

    (b) A conference that fails to satisfy Bylaw 31.3.3.1.3-(a) by the expiration of the grace period shall
    no longer be eligible for automatic qualification in the particular sport until it again satisfies all
    requirements for automatic qualification, including the two-year waiting period set forth in Bylaws
    31.3.3.1.1-(a) and 31.3.3.1.1.1-(b).

    31.3.3.1.4 Core Institution.

    For purposes of Bylaw 31, a core institution is an active NCAA Division
    III member institution that is a member of an NCAA Division III conference and participates in that conference
    in more than one conference-sponsored sport. An institution may be a core institution in only one
    multisport conference. An institution that was considered a core institution in more than one multisport
    conference prior to September 1, 2011, may continue as a core institution in those conferences until it is no
    longer an active member of the particular conference. (Adopted: 4/13/10, Revised: 1/14/12 effective 8/1/12
    for the 2012-13 academic year)
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 06-15-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    If Canton and Morrisville join as everyone is predicting will they drop the NEWHL brand and just become the SUNYAC?
    It's a lot more complicated than that simple assumption.

    Let's put it this way. Canton already tried to join the SUNYAC as an all sports member. They were rejected. Despite Morrisville's affiliate status in men's ice hockey and field hockey, the SUNYAC doesn't want affiliate members.

    Like I said. It's complicated...

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    193

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    It's a lot more complicated than that simple assumption.

    Let's put it this way. Canton already tried to join the SUNYAC as an all sports member. They were rejected. Despite Morrisville's affiliate status in men's ice hockey and field hockey, the SUNYAC doesn't want affiliate members.

    Like I said. It's complicated...

    Which then explains why they called it the NEWHL....they're going to need more teams to keep the AQ and it seems like it won't necessarily be Canton or Morrisville.....

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    711

    Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    It's a lot more complicated than that simple assumption.

    Let's put it this way. Canton already tried to join the SUNYAC as an all sports member. They were rejected. Despite Morrisville's affiliate status in men's ice hockey and field hockey, the SUNYAC doesn't want affiliate members.

    Like I said. It's complicated...
    I'm aware Canton was rejected as a full SUNYAC member and it's one of the reasons I'm skeptical about Canton and Morrisville being a part of the new conference. Though it would be funny if setting up the NEWHL is just the SUNY women's teams working out a way to have Canton and Morrisville join the conference without those within the SUNYAC who are averse to associate members blocking it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •