Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Wilkes has announced they've delayed the start of the women's program due to "lower than anticipated roster size."

This does mean they will start the same year as the men, who previously pushed back their launch. In October 2016 they hired former Plymouth State player and Daniel Webster coach Stephanie Newmark, but they now list it as TBA. Does anyone know if she left or was let go?

Based on their schedule the following games were cancelled (possibly forfeited?):

@ King's on 10/27 and 10/28
    @ William Smith on 11/4 and 11/5
    @ LVC 11/11 and 11/12
    @ Manhattanville on 11/18
    vs King's 11/21
    @Utica 12/2 and 12/3
    @ SUNY Cortland 12/8 and 12/9
    @Stevenson 1/6
    vs Post on 1/9
    vs Trine 1/12 and 1/13
    @ Nichols 1/20 and 1/21
    @ Neumann on 2/2
    vs Neumann on 2/3
    vs Chatham 2/9 and 2/10
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 08-03-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Wilkes has announced they've delayed the start of the women's program due to "lower than anticipated roster size."

This does mean they will start the same year as the men, who previously pushed back their launch. In October 2016 they hired former Plymouth State player and Daniel Webster coach Stephanie Newmark, but they now list it as TBA. Does anyone know if she left or was let go?

Based on their schedule the following games were cancelled (possibly forfeited?):

@ King's on 10/27 and 10/28
    @ William Smith on 11/4 and 11/5
    @ LVC 11/11 and 11/12
    @ Manhattanville on 11/18
    vs King's 11/21
    @Utica 12/2 and 12/3
    @ SUNY Cortland 12/8 and 12/9
    @Stevenson 1/6
    vs Post on 1/9
    vs Trine 1/12 and 1/13
    @ Nichols 1/20 and 1/21
    @ Neumann on 2/2
    vs Neumann on 2/3
    vs Chatham 2/9 and 2/10

I guess its better than going ahead like DW did a few years ago.... they were playing games with 1 goalie a 6-7 skaters.

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    I guess its better than going ahead like DW did a few years ago.... they were playing games with 1 goalie a 6-7 skaters.
    Agreed. Build your roster, play when it makes sense. That does mean you need players who are willing to wait, but those players do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Agreed. Build your roster, play when it makes sense. That does mean you need players who are willing to wait, but those players do exist.
    I feel for the teams who will have to scramble for replacement or be short games...unless they had last minute defections they had to have known sooner than this they wouldn't be able to field a viable team...I wonder if Newmark's experience at DW being allowed to play so shorthanded contributed to it going as far as it did?
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    I feel for the teams who will have to scramble for replacement or be short games...unless they had last minute defections they had to have known sooner than this they wouldn't be able to field a viable team...I wonder if Newmark's experience at DW being allowed to play so shorthanded contributed to it going as far as it did?
    Don't forget that the Beantown tournament was this past weekend. I'll bet she was there trying to gauge if she could pick up enough players to make a go of it.

I manage a girls team and we got an email from a school asking if we knew of any uncommitted 2017 grads because a spot had just opened up (not D3.....ACHA) but that can't be the only school looking to firm up their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Don't forget that the Beantown tournament was this past weekend. I'll bet she was there trying to gauge if she could pick up enough players to make a go of it.

I manage a girls team and we got an email from a school asking if we knew of any uncommitted 2017 grads because a spot had just opened up (not D3.....ACHA) but that can't be the only school looking to firm up their roster.
    Are you telling me that ACHA club teams actively recruit players??!! And that girls make their college decisions based largely on that??!! The world has definitely gone insane...

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Are you telling me that ACHA club teams actively recruit players??!! And that girls make their college decisions based largely on that??!! The world has definitely gone insane...
    I don't know about insane, maybe just a little wacky!! D1 ACHA teams have some pretty attractive financial packages, Better than D3 many times. If a girl is a borderline D3 player it can be enticing.

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    When I was team manager for an ACHA Men's D2 team, we definitely had recruits visiting campus from time to time.

My daughter was actively recruited by some D3 and ACHA teams. She decided to go to the ACHA D1 college purely because it was the best school.

Based on the staff directory it appears Salem State hired veteran girls hockey coach and Salem State alumn Malcolm Spurling (most recently at Weston, MA prep The Rivers School). He has two daughters who played NCAA hockey: one played forward for Harvard while his other played on the blue line for St. Anselm so he is at least familiar with the college level as a parent and a prep coach.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Holy cow, has Hamline flipped the MIAC on it's head...

Two D1 transfers, two top 6 F's coming over from St. Thomas.

Should move Hamline into the favorite role (along with Gustavus), and probably puts the Tommies on a playoff bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by MND3Dad View Post

Should move Hamline into the favorite role (along with Gustavus), and probably puts the Tommies on a playoff bubble.
    And I'm sure no rules were broken for all that to coincidentally happen in the same off-season.

Who are the transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by Call It View Post
    Who are the transfers?
    Any thoughts on the NCAA requiring athletes transferring DI to DIII to red shirt for a season or are those regulations conference based?

Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Any thoughts on the NCAA requiring athletes transferring DI to DIII to red shirt for a season?
    That used to be the requirement in all sports, but they abandoned that a long time ago. (Way back, my brother was at SUNY Oneonta for soccer, which was D1 at the time, and transferred to Stony Brook, which was D3 at the time. He had to sit out a year.)
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Who are the transfers?
    Their Twitter feed reports these transfers (and I was wrong, it's 3 D-1 Transfers, I only recognized the MN players)

The Lindenwood to Hamline pipeline:

Xilly Lang
    Sarah Bobrowski
    Kaitlyn Davidson

and the 3 mile jog north from St. Thomas:

Leah Schwartzmann
    Becca Zarembinski

they also pulled another D3 transfer from Southern Maine

They now have two extremely solid lines. They have to figure out everything behind that, but I make them at least a co-favorite with Gustavus.

Their Twitter feed reports these transfers (and I was wrong, it's 3 D-1 Transfers, I only recognized the MN players)

The Lindenwood to Hamline pipeline:

Xilly Lang
    Sarah Bobrowski
    Kaitlyn Davidson

and the 3 mile jog north from St. Thomas:

Leah Schwartzmann
    Becca Zarembinski

they also pulled another D3 transfer from Southern Maine

They now have two extremely solid lines. They have to figure out everything behind that, but I make them at least a co-favorite with Gustavus.
    Improved? Yes but don't get to excited just yet.

What is going on down at LU?

Improved? Yes but don't get to excited just yet.

What is going on down at LU?
    It's in St Louis, they lose a lot, they have mediocre facilities, and it is a 1 day trip to everywhere..... what more do you need to know? Anyone who thought this was a long term winning proposition was crazy.....

It's in St Louis, they lose a lot, they have mediocre facilities, and it is a 1 day trip to everywhere..... what more do you need to know? Anyone who thought this was a long term winning proposition was crazy.....
    Having to drive 25 minutes from campus to practice everyday and for games is not great. Let's put the transfers in perspective; LU lost 7 players to graduation and transfer, yet only lost five goals worth of scoring.

Looking at the stats and the roles of the D1 players on the LU team, you could argue that the D3 transfers from St Thomas will play a larger role than the D1 transfers.

Schwartzmann had 15G & 17 A last year while Zarembinski was at 6G 10A. Of the D1 transfers, only Bobrowski really contributed: 4G 5A in 32 games so expect her to do well. Lang only played 20 games and Davidson played 7....on a team that was 6-25-2.

Thread Information