Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Originally posted by pucko View Post
    Hamline getting those D1 transfers is probably Darwitz's connection (or her dad's) to the MN players. Yes, it's odd to have that many D1 transfers come in, but I think Hamline already has some LU transfer(s) so they probably talked with their friends, etc, etc, etc. What is the head scratcher, though, is that Schwartzmann and Zarembinski would BOTH leave UST at that the same time. Now how does that happen? I've seen programs lose a top kid to another school (Bethel lost Larson to UST), but to lose TWO top players, in the same off-season? That is very fishy. It either says a lot about Darwitz and how she recruits, or it says a lot about Palkowski at UST and how he coaches. I think a lot of D3 coaches fly under the radar with questionable recruiting tactics and it's never talked about because it's D3 and it's not on the national scope like D1 is. But you have some schools (cough, cough, River Falls) who tell girls they have a week to decide or their spot is gone/being replaced by someone else when in fact, they are still taking recruits in (if they're good enough) all year round. I suppose at some point, a coach must decide how much he/she wants to sell their soul to win a national championship or come close to doing so.
    Cough cough - know someone who was approached by Concordia and told the same thing a couple of weeks ago: only has so many spots and made offers to more girls than there are spots available - first girls to commit get the spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
      Cough cough - know someone who was approached by Concordia and told the same thing a couple of weeks ago: only has so many spots and made offers to more girls than there are spots available - first girls to commit get the spot.
      MC at GAC is famous for over-recruiting and talking with players during tournaments when he wasn't supposed to. Nobody watches D3 coaches though so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Comment

When does the D3 pre-season poll get published?

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
          lol...sounds exactly like a certain fellow who coaches D3inVT, cough, Midd, cough, cough...you're on the clock kid, cough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Call It View Post
            When does the D3 pre-season poll get published?
            Not until late October if memory serves.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
              lol...sounds exactly like a certain fellow who coaches D3inVT, cough, Midd, cough, cough...you're on the clock kid, cough.
              The crybaby can't rely on refs to help him win recruiting battles so he tells prospects they have a timeline?! What an idiot. Does he still tell recruits that his team can beat D1 teams? Lol. That's the funniest story I heard about him.

Comment

Coach Mandigo hardly needs me to defend him. I never had my daughters recruited by him, but we have become friends over the years. I am sure we are all sorry your contact with Coach Mandigo was so negative as to create the venal attitude you display in your posts. Many consider his career at Middlebury, both on (541 wins) and off the ice (community involvement, FoPH, etc), as major contribution toward women's hockey as we know it in 2017.
                Last edited by obserbear; 08-20-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  Coach Mandigo hardly needs me to defend him. I never had my daughters recruited by him, but we have become friends over the years. I am sure we are all sorry your contact with Coach Mandigo was so negative as to create the venal attitude you display in your posts. Many consider his career at Middlebury, both on (541 wins) and off the ice (community involvement, FoPH, etc), as major contribution toward women's hockey as we know it in 2017.
                  Well said! I hope your summer is going well, and I hope to catch up with you at a game or two this Fall!
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    Well said! I hope your summer is going well, and I hope to catch up with you at a game or two this Fall!
                    I hope the first game is the exhibition against Castleton on 10/21!

Comment

Next weekend is the NAHA Tournament and kicks off the schedule for the women's hockey season at the 19U level. I specifically chose 19U as my point of reference because I'm aware of the importance of this for NCAA teams looking to fill gaps, as time is getting thin. Any opinions on how the top end 19U teams would fare against a D3 opponent? In this order only for alphabetical reasons, Belle Tire, Boston Jr. Eagles, California Wave, Chicago Mission, East Coast Wizards, Shattuck (I'm sure I left a few out)....all really good programs with several girls committed to play in the NCAA next season.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                        Next weekend is the NAHA Tournament and kicks off the schedule for the women's hockey season at the 19U level. I specifically chose 19U as my point of reference because I'm aware of the importance of this for NCAA teams looking to fill gaps, as time is getting thin. Any opinions on how the top end 19U teams would fare against a D3 opponent? In this order only for alphabetical reasons, Belle Tire, Boston Jr. Eagles, California Wave, Chicago Mission, East Coast Wizards, Shattuck (I'm sure I left a few out)....all really good programs with several girls committed to play in the NCAA next season.
                        I think it would be a good game but still think a solid D3 team would win. My daughter played in the JWHL her last year of high school and according to her, D3 was a half step faster than that.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          I think it would be a good game but still think a solid D3 team would win. My daughter played in the JWHL her last year of high school and according to her, D3 was a half step faster than that.
                          It probably depends on the D3 program as well as some barely if at all recruit and just take what they get.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            It probably depends on the D3 program as well as some barely if at all recruit and just take what they get.
                            Absolutely! That's why I said a 'solid' D3 program. There are some out there (no need to name them) that would have trouble with U17 teams.

Comment

I'm sure they will draw some qualified candidates with a Master's degree for what amounts to $9-$10/hour! SMH...

SUNY- Buffalo State College - NCAA Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach/ Rink Assistant

Salary: $14,500/ 10-month position/ *Benefits Eligible

The State University of New York at Buffalo State is looking for a qualified and energetic assistant coach to join the staff of their prestige women's ice hockey program. Formerly a member of the ECAC-West, Buffalo State will proudly participate in the newly formed Northeast Women's Hockey League. Under the direction of the Head Coach, candidate will be responsible for recruitment of potential student athletes, video breakdown and administrative duties. For a full list of responsibilities see below:

Position Summary:

- Candidate will assist in the planning, implementing and organization of all aspects of the program including travel arrangements, strength and conditioning sessions and game management duties.
                              - Candidate will be required to attend all scheduled practices, games, and team functions including fundraising and community service opportunities.
                              - Candidate will aid in creating a positive, safe and competitive experience for the student athletes as well as establish team rules and enforce them.
                              - Candidate will be responsible for editing and uploading game film to HUDL and other resources for player and staff access.
                              - Candidate will be required to travel and attend recruiting events and tournaments with Head Coach. Candidate also may be requested to act on behalf of the program as a representative at said events alone.
                              - Candidate will be responsible for assisting in the organization of PSA's official and un-official campus visits, campus tours and meetings.
                              - Candidate will assist in the academic monitoring of current student athletes as well as any other administrative duty assigned by the Head Coach.
                              - Candidate will have secondary role of assisting in rink management. Tasks not limited to; Zamboni driving, supervision of rink and public skate sessions and Zamboni maintenance.

Position Requirements:

- In depth knowledge of hockey, recruitment demographics and NCAA D3 compliance rules.
                              - Prior experience working with, training or coaching female student athletes.
                              - 2+ years of coaching experience at the High School, Prep, ACHA, or NCAA level.
                              - Bachelor's Degree for an accredited college, Master's preferred.
                              - USA Hockey CEP Level 2 or Higher or Canadian NCCP equivalent.
                              - Proven successful record of recruiting highly skilled student athletes.
                              - Strong attention to detail, positive outlook, hardworking and takes direction well.
                              - Capable of being a positive representation of SUNY-Buffalo State core principles, ethics and mission statement on and off campus.
                              - Zamboni driving experience a +++

APPROX START: September 11th, 2017

Please forward cover letter, resume and contact information for 2 references to Head Women's Ice Hockey Coach: Jennifer Wilson at wilsonje@buffalostate.edu.

Posted on 08/22/2017 (List until 10/01/2017)

Comment

This is laughable. My favorite is the whole Zamboni maintenance thing. So they want a coach, academic coordinator, recruiter and auto mechanic all for the low low price of $14,500? That's absurd.

Comment

Working...
                                X