Clear All

Re: NC$$ Title: Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    That was a dumb play by Clark!
    If we're talking about the same play, I agree

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      They did that at the WCHA tourney too. Just sat there. Waste of time & money

It was definitely a pep band from UW, and they played whenever it was their turn. I could give you a list of the songs I heard them play, if you'd like.

--------------

Some days the puck just refuses to go into the net. Extremely disappointing, especially for UW seniors, three WCHA tourney champs, twice regular season, but no national championship. Extremely disappointing.
      Last edited by robertearle; 03-19-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        It was definitely a pep band from UW, and they played whenever it was their turn. I could give you a list of the songs I heard them play, if you'd like.

--------------

Some days the puck just refuses to go into the net. Extremely disappointing, especially for UW seniors, three WCHA tourney champs, twice regular season, but no national championship. Extremely disappointing.
        sure, whatever. I was basing this on eeyore's comment & my personal experience from the WCHA weekend. Both ND and UMD bands played between periods & UW did not. It was disappointing because they have one of the best small pep bands & I look forward to having them at game.

Comment

One loves how much USCHO pays attention to the women
          Shea Tiley made 41 saves, and Cayler Mercer scored twice as Cornell knocked off Wisconsin to win its second national championship

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/d1women/#ixzz4boSvWnR4
          Who is Cayler?

And the link does nothing.

And Cornell!?!!?!?!?
          Last edited by joecct; 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Who is Cayler?

And the link does nothing.

And Cornell!?!!?!?!?
            If that ain't a slap in the face. BOOOO USCHO
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Congratulations to Clarkson. Nice to see.

However, I gotta say that some of the post game commentary was nothing but hollow/empty hype trying to convince the viewers that something happened other than what they saw with their own eyes.

The colour commentator, whoever she is, (and it seems like no one else knows who she is either), called Tiley's play "sensational". With all due respect to Tiley her play was less than ordinary today. Why? Firstly, because she was not tested even with UW having a huge advantage in the SOG department. Even if you stop 50 - 60 shots during a game if they are all into your stomach there was nothing "sensational" about your performance...a cardboard cutout of a goaltender would accomplish the same thing. Secondly, she seemed totally unable to trap and control the puck on the ice in front of her on multiple occasions...you thought she had it but it always came squirting out long after she should have had control and should have been properly defending that control...poor technique...terrible actually at this level. She and her team mates are just fortunate that UW was not able to take advantage of any of those gaffs.

Reminds me of some of the UMD post game recaps of past years that was often so full of wild hyperbole that you knew that the person who wrote it never saw the game that they were attempting to describe to their readers. I understand that they are trying to generate interest but don't BS people.

And while I was glad to initially see that there was a colour commentator I think her inability to know when to stop talking started detracting from the game early on. A colour commentator should be knowledgeable, which I think she was judging from her commentary (and she later also alluded to having played the game) but her job is to compliment the play by play guy...not take over and dominate the show. I think she spoke way more than the play by play guy did.

And lots of unforced errors made by CU during the game (I was paying more attention to CU than to UW).

So, Congratulations to Clarkson on the win and to UW on the great season but I thought that the two semi final games much were better than this one.

And I also think that including last weekend the best playoff game, by far, was UM vs UMD...just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                If that ain't a slap in the face. BOOOO USCHO
                Vic - fix this signature, too.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Congratulations to Clarkson. Nice to see.

However, I gotta say that some of the post game commentary was nothing but hollow/empty hype trying to convince the viewers that something happened other than what they saw with their own eyes.

The colour commentator, whoever she is, (and it seems like no one else knows who she is either), called Tiley's play "sensational". With all due respect to Tiley her play was less than ordinary today. Why? Firstly, because she was not tested even with UW having a huge advantage in the SOG department. Even if you stop 50 - 60 shots during a game if they are all into your stomach there was nothing "sensational" about your performance...a cardboard cutout of a goaltender would accomplish the same thing. Secondly, she seemed totally unable to trap and control the puck on the ice in front of her on multiple occasions...you thought she had it but it always came squirting out long after she should have had control and should have been properly defending that control...poor technique...terrible actually at this level. She and her team mates are just fortunate that UW was not able to take advantage of any of those gaffs.

Reminds me of some of the UMD post game recaps of past years that was often so full of wild hyperbole that you knew that the person who wrote it never saw the game that they were attempting to describe to their readers. I understand that they are trying to generate interest but don't BS people.

And while I was glad to initially see that there was a colour commentator I think her inability to know when to stop talking started detracting from the game early on. A colour commentator should be knowledgeable, which I think she was judging from her commentary (and she later also alluded to having played the game) but her job is to compliment the play by play guy...not take over and dominate the show. I think she spoke way more than the play by play guy did.

And lots of unforced errors made by CU during the game (I was paying more attention to CU than to UW).

So, Congratulations to Clarkson on the win and to UW on the great season but I thought that the two semi final games much were better than this one.

And I also think that including last weekend the best playoff game, by far, was UM vs UMD...just sayin'.
                  Actually, the best playoff game by far was Adrian vs Plattsburgh.

Oh, nice comments about Tiley....you're a real treat....she's got a national championship now based on her performance this weekend and all year so I'd say she gets the last laugh...at you!
                  Last edited by shelfit; 03-19-2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Who is Cayler?
                    I just typed "Cayler" in an email a few minutes ago, and I have no idea as to why my fingers do that. I always have to struggle with myself to not type Carley because of her sister, and it is almost like that "r" is still stuck in my mind waiting to come out and it does on the second syllable. Sometimes I have caught it over the years, and at other times, I think it has slipped through. I don't post links for USCHO, but I definitely care about women's hockey, and an error like "Cayler" is one that I could still make.

So my apologies to the younger Ms. Mercer, even though neither you nor she will ever see the error that I made. My guess is that she wouldn't care what I called her, given that I'd also call her a two-time NCAA Champion.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      If we're talking about the same play, I agree
                      The play was when they caught Clarkson on a line change and really had an opportunity for a 3 on 0 break. Clark, instead of moving the puck to the middle, decides to shoot from a bad angle.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The play was when they caught Clarkson on a line change and really had an opportunity for a 3 on 0 break. Clark, instead of moving the puck to the middle, decides to shoot from a bad angle.
                        When you are pressing trying to make something happen you sometimes make bad decisions. That was certainly one. I saw the 3 on 0 developing and nearly fell out of my seat when she shot the puck right into Tiley's mid section.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I just typed "Cayler" in an email a few minutes ago, and I have no idea as to why my fingers do that. I always have to struggle with myself to not type Carley because of her sister, and it is almost like that "r" is still stuck in my mind waiting to come out and it does on the second syllable. Sometimes I have caught it over the years, and at other times, I think it has slipped through. I don't post links for USCHO, but I definitely care about women's hockey, and an error like "Cayler" is one that I could still make.

So my apologies to the younger Ms. Mercer, even though neither you nor she will ever see the error that I made. My guess is that she wouldn't care what I called her, given that I'd also call her a two-time NCAA Champion.
                          But Cornell winning the title? That's more than a typing error.

But it's been about 2 hrs since the completion of the game and I'd guess about 90 minutes since the end of the pressers. When can we expect a writeup?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

In her defense, over the last couple weeks (WCHA quarters and then NCAA quarters) Clark has scored from more-or-less that same spot three times, including a 1-on-4 goal against Mankato. Yes, if she had it to do over, I expect she'd choose differently. But she saw a shot she's been hitting regularly during the playoffs, and she took it. No complaint from this corner on her choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              With all due respect to Tiley her play was less than ordinary today. Why? Firstly, because she was not tested even with UW having a huge advantage in the SOG department. Even if you stop 50 - 60 shots during a game if they are all into your stomach there was nothing "sensational" about your performance...a cardboard cutout of a goaltender would accomplish the same thing. Secondly, she seemed totally unable to trap and control the puck on the ice in front of her on multiple occasions...you thought she had it but it always came squirting out long after she should have had control and should have been properly defending that control.

I agree. Clarkson played masterfully & Wisconsin never really tested the goalie in the way they are more than capable of. That was the real story. I thought the Gophers look bad on Friday but didn't give Clarkson the credit they deserved for making that happen. That was a team win. And, also, Friday was more entertaining.

Comment

But Cornell winning the title? That's more than a typing error.

But it's been about 2 hrs since the completion of the game and I'd guess about 90 minutes since the end of the pressers. When can we expect a writeup?
                                I'd guess that it is less than 90 minutes since the end of the media conference. It can take a long time for the winning team to show up because they don't want to leave the ice and then don't want to leave their teammates. It can be as long as an hour after the game ends before the conferences are done. Having covered a few Frozen Fours, by the time you get to this point of the weekend, it's been a long few days after Thursday conferences/previews, both games Friday, the Kaz brunch and a final preview on Saturday. When I first started writing, it would take me forever just to transcribe all of the quotes from the interviews. It took a few years before I figured out to just skip to the ones that worked best in the story.

As for the Cornell thing, I remember a few years ago when Colgate was getting votes in the poll, and that was before they started winning. "I know it is one of those ECAC teams that start with a 'C'".

People are always saying Minnesota when they mean Minnesota-Duluth or Minnesota State, but I realize that is an easier mistake to make. Anyway, the Golden Knights are doing their part to make sure everyone knows who they are.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X