Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NC$$ Title: Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    I agree. Clarkson played masterfully & Wisconsin never really tested the goalie in the way they are more than capable of. That was the real story. I thought the Gophers look bad on Friday but didn't give Clarkson the credit they deserved for making that happen. That was a team win. And, also, Friday was more entertaining.
    I'm pretty sure that Clarkson is OK with the entertainment level they delivered, even if the WCHA snobs aren't....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      I'm pretty sure that Clarkson is OK with the entertainment level they delivered, even if the WCHA snobs aren't....
      They played a hell of a game against MN, it was more fun than todays. Why so sensitive?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Oh, nice comments about Tiley....you're a real treat....she's got a national championship now based on her performance this weekend and all year so I'd say she gets the last laugh...at you!
        What a ridiculous response. It has nothing to do with what I was pointing out.

It's not Tiley's fault that she wasn't tested. But it was on her that she kept failing to control the puck...luckily for her she didn't pay for it. You would collectively call that a "sensational" performance? She wasn't sensational nor was she called on to be sensational. Might she have had it in her today to be sensational? The fact is we don't know because she didn't have to be. She had an easy game, good for her, and her team won. My point was don't call a performance sensational when it clearly wasn't just because she happened to get a shut out in an easy game and...her team won. It's extremely disingenuous. Be happy for her and her team?...of course...but don't BS people in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          What a ridiculous response. It has nothing to do with what I was pointing out.

It's not Tiley's fault that she wasn't tested. But it was on her that she kept failing to control the puck...luckily for her she didn't pay for it. You would collectively call that a "sensational" performance? She wasn't sensational nor was she called on to be sensational. Might she have had it in her today to be sensational? The fact is we don't know because she didn't have to be. She had an easy game, good for her, and her team won. My point was don't call a performance sensational when it clearly wasn't just because she happened to get a shut out in an easy game and...her team won. It's extremely disingenuous. Be happy for her and her team?...of course...but don't BS people in the process.
          I hate to ever back up Shelfit on anything, but honestly yours is the ridiculous response. Tiley stopped 41 shots in the national championship game and pitched a shutout against a team that had found a way to win every game this season except 1 until today - that's a sensational performance in darn near anybody's book. Your perception that she didn't control the rebounds enough is totally meaningless - apparently she controlled the ones she needed to or Wisconsin would have won. And by the way, the best goalies are the ones who position themselves so well that all saves look effortless and like the shooting team is just shooting it into her over and over. You read like a bitter Western fan that's angry that an Eastern team "stole" your championship.

Comment

...pitched a shutout against a team that had found a way to win every game this season except 1 until today
            Wisconsin had a really good year, but it wasn't THAT good. There were six -and now seven - games they didn't win.

Comment

Tiley stopped 41 shots in the national championship game and pitched a shutout against a team that had found a way to win every game this season except 1 until today - that's a sensational performance in darn near anybody's book.
              You're confusing her actual performance with the fact that her team won and against an extremely good team. And if the shots weren't difficult or challenging shots, regardless of how many there were, then it was not a sensational performance. This is not complicated. And it has nothing to do with UW's record this season. If they failed to get any great shots on her that's not her fault and some kudos are due her team mates for helping in that regard.

And UW lost 2 games this season before today and tied a few.

Originally posted by HockeyEast33
              Your perception that she didn't control the rebounds enough is totally meaningless - apparently she controlled the ones she needed to or Wisconsin would have won.
              I wasn't referring to "rebounds" generally. I was referring to the times when the puck was at her feet or in her crease and she was down/went down on her hands and knees attempting to trap it and then protect it on several occasions with lots of time and failed to do so properly. The fact that her team won doesn't negate the difficult time she continually had with these types of pucks today.

You read like a bitter Western fan that's angry that an Eastern team "stole" your championship.
              I hate to dispel your default Eastern theory but I was actually wanting Clarkson to win.

Comment

You read like a bitter Western fan that's angry that an Eastern team "stole" your championship.
                You seem to think that all "Western" fans think alike and want exactly the same thing. There's a big world outside of New England and we're not so easily covered by a single categorization. Heck, I've known a few Western fans over the years who came from New England.

Anyway, we'd only be bitter if a Hockey East team stole the championship.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The shot totals are misleading; Clarkson outplayed Wisconsin by a significant margin. They had better scoring chances and converted them. They were more disciplined, both in terms of committing penalties and in terms of playing within their system. The Badgers started out looking like they thought they'd won it when Minnesota lost, and finished in a total panic.

This western fan didn't think it was a boring game at all. It was very frustrating, since I was rooting for Wisconsin, but it wasn't boring.

Comment

I hate to dispel your default Eastern theory but I was actually wanting Clarkson to win.
                    Me, too. It was lonely in that club of one with Minnesota being the only team to lose to an eastern school in the NCAA championship game. My "roommate" was for Wisconsin. I asked her if she would have cheered for North Dakota over Clarkson. She said she doesn't know and would have to think about that one.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Re: NC$$ Title: Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      The shot totals are misleading; Clarkson outplayed Wisconsin by a significant margin. They had better scoring chances and converted them.
                      Eeyore, I sure didn't see it that way at all. Wisconsin had more scoring opportunities than Clarkson but found all kinds of ways to not convert any of them. The shot total doesn't include the half-dozen or so close-in hard shots that sailed just wide of the post. It also doesn't include a number of times when the puck was loose in the crease, with Tiley not able to cover up, but no Badger being in the right spot to tuck it in.

Rest assured, by no means am I saying that Wisconsin should have won, nor am I arguing that they outplayed Clarkson by anything resembling "a significant margin". But I can't agree with your assertion that the opposite is true. Overall I think the play was pretty even.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        This western fan didn't think it was a boring game at all.
                        Did either band play a tribute to the Chucker?

Comment

• HockeyEast33, thanks for the support but we're both wasting our breath. Blackbeard is THE hockey expert and never wrong about anything.

Here's my opinion, Clarkson was simply better when it counted, from on-ice decisions to on-bench decisions. They earned the win and deserve to be national champions.

Comment

I don't think so. Should have been though.

The game reminded me of the movie "When Worlds Collide." Or maybe the two Dempsey/Tunney fights. A disciplined defense versus a frenzied offense. And we almost all know that defense wins championships so...
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-19-2017, 08:55 PM. Reason: No Berry
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Not that I heard, or noticed. And I'm pretty sure I would have noticed. Driving in on Thursday, I saved a Chuck Berry greatest hits CD for the final hour of the drive so he'd be playing while I was entering "old St Lou".

Comment

Despite living near Boston I get the BTN and was able to watch the game on TV. I thought it was well played by both teams and that Clarkson deserved the win. I was amused by the announcers, who seemed to know nothing about the history of women's college hockey. Several times they mentioned Wisconsin's 22 game unbeaten streak and how special it was without any mention of Minnesota's perfect season or BC's 41 straight wins last season.

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X