Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NC$$ Title: Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Re: NC$$ Title: Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Congratulations to Clarkson. Nice to see.

However, I gotta say that some of the post game commentary was nothing but hollow/empty hype trying to convince the viewers that something happened other than what they saw with their own eyes.

The colour commentator, whoever she is, (and it seems like no one else knows who she is either), called Tiley's play "sensational". With all due respect to Tiley her play was less than ordinary today. Why? Firstly, because she was not tested even with UW having a huge advantage in the SOG department. Even if you stop 50 - 60 shots during a game if they are all into your stomach there was nothing "sensational" about your performance...a cardboard cutout of a goaltender would accomplish the same thing. Secondly, she seemed totally unable to trap and control the puck on the ice in front of her on multiple occasions...you thought she had it but it always came squirting out long after she should have had control and should have been properly defending that control...poor technique...terrible actually at this level. She and her team mates are just fortunate that UW was not able to take advantage of any of those gaffs.

Reminds me of some of the UMD post game recaps of past years that was often so full of wild hyperbole that you knew that the person who wrote it never saw the game that they were attempting to describe to their readers. I understand that they are trying to generate interest but don't BS people.

And while I was glad to initially see that there was a colour commentator I think her inability to know when to stop talking started detracting from the game early on. A colour commentator should be knowledgeable, which I think she was judging from her commentary (and she later also alluded to having played the game) but her job is to compliment the play by play guy...not take over and dominate the show. I think she spoke way more than the play by play guy did.

And lots of unforced errors made by CU during the game (I was paying more attention to CU than to UW).

So, Congratulations to Clarkson on the win and to UW on the great season but I thought that the two semi final games much were better than this one.

And I also think that including last weekend the best playoff game, by far, was UM vs UMD...just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    If that ain't a slap in the face. BOOOO USCHO
    Vic - fix this signature, too.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Congratulations to Clarkson. Nice to see.

However, I gotta say that some of the post game commentary was nothing but hollow/empty hype trying to convince the viewers that something happened other than what they saw with their own eyes.

The colour commentator, whoever she is, (and it seems like no one else knows who she is either), called Tiley's play "sensational". With all due respect to Tiley her play was less than ordinary today. Why? Firstly, because she was not tested even with UW having a huge advantage in the SOG department. Even if you stop 50 - 60 shots during a game if they are all into your stomach there was nothing "sensational" about your performance...a cardboard cutout of a goaltender would accomplish the same thing. Secondly, she seemed totally unable to trap and control the puck on the ice in front of her on multiple occasions...you thought she had it but it always came squirting out long after she should have had control and should have been properly defending that control...poor technique...terrible actually at this level. She and her team mates are just fortunate that UW was not able to take advantage of any of those gaffs.

Reminds me of some of the UMD post game recaps of past years that was often so full of wild hyperbole that you knew that the person who wrote it never saw the game that they were attempting to describe to their readers. I understand that they are trying to generate interest but don't BS people.

And while I was glad to initially see that there was a colour commentator I think her inability to know when to stop talking started detracting from the game early on. A colour commentator should be knowledgeable, which I think she was judging from her commentary (and she later also alluded to having played the game) but her job is to compliment the play by play guy...not take over and dominate the show. I think she spoke way more than the play by play guy did.

And lots of unforced errors made by CU during the game (I was paying more attention to CU than to UW).

So, Congratulations to Clarkson on the win and to UW on the great season but I thought that the two semi final games much were better than this one.

And I also think that including last weekend the best playoff game, by far, was UM vs UMD...just sayin'.
    Actually, the best playoff game by far was Adrian vs Plattsburgh.

Oh, nice comments about Tiley....you're a real treat....she's got a national championship now based on her performance this weekend and all year so I'd say she gets the last laugh...at you!
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-19-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    One loves how much USCHO pays attention to the women

Who is Cayler?
    I just typed "Cayler" in an email a few minutes ago, and I have no idea as to why my fingers do that. I always have to struggle with myself to not type Carley because of her sister, and it is almost like that "r" is still stuck in my mind waiting to come out and it does on the second syllable. Sometimes I have caught it over the years, and at other times, I think it has slipped through. I don't post links for USCHO, but I definitely care about women's hockey, and an error like "Cayler" is one that I could still make.

So my apologies to the younger Ms. Mercer, even though neither you nor she will ever see the error that I made. My guess is that she wouldn't care what I called her, given that I'd also call her a two-time NCAA Champion.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    If we're talking about the same play, I agree
    The play was when they caught Clarkson on a line change and really had an opportunity for a 3 on 0 break. Clark, instead of moving the puck to the middle, decides to shoot from a bad angle.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    The play was when they caught Clarkson on a line change and really had an opportunity for a 3 on 0 break. Clark, instead of moving the puck to the middle, decides to shoot from a bad angle.
    When you are pressing trying to make something happen you sometimes make bad decisions. That was certainly one. I saw the 3 on 0 developing and nearly fell out of my seat when she shot the puck right into Tiley's mid section.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I just typed "Cayler" in an email a few minutes ago, and I have no idea as to why my fingers do that. I always have to struggle with myself to not type Carley because of her sister, and it is almost like that "r" is still stuck in my mind waiting to come out and it does on the second syllable. Sometimes I have caught it over the years, and at other times, I think it has slipped through. I don't post links for USCHO, but I definitely care about women's hockey, and an error like "Cayler" is one that I could still make.

So my apologies to the younger Ms. Mercer, even though neither you nor she will ever see the error that I made. My guess is that she wouldn't care what I called her, given that I'd also call her a two-time NCAA Champion.
    But Cornell winning the title? That's more than a typing error.

But it's been about 2 hrs since the completion of the game and I'd guess about 90 minutes since the end of the pressers. When can we expect a writeup?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    In her defense, over the last couple weeks (WCHA quarters and then NCAA quarters) Clark has scored from more-or-less that same spot three times, including a 1-on-4 goal against Mankato. Yes, if she had it to do over, I expect she'd choose differently. But she saw a shot she's been hitting regularly during the playoffs, and she took it. No complaint from this corner on her choice.

With all due respect to Tiley her play was less than ordinary today. Why? Firstly, because she was not tested even with UW having a huge advantage in the SOG department. Even if you stop 50 - 60 shots during a game if they are all into your stomach there was nothing "sensational" about your performance...a cardboard cutout of a goaltender would accomplish the same thing. Secondly, she seemed totally unable to trap and control the puck on the ice in front of her on multiple occasions...you thought she had it but it always came squirting out long after she should have had control and should have been properly defending that control.

I agree. Clarkson played masterfully & Wisconsin never really tested the goalie in the way they are more than capable of. That was the real story. I thought the Gophers look bad on Friday but didn't give Clarkson the credit they deserved for making that happen. That was a team win. And, also, Friday was more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    But Cornell winning the title? That's more than a typing error.

But it's been about 2 hrs since the completion of the game and I'd guess about 90 minutes since the end of the pressers. When can we expect a writeup?
    I'd guess that it is less than 90 minutes since the end of the media conference. It can take a long time for the winning team to show up because they don't want to leave the ice and then don't want to leave their teammates. It can be as long as an hour after the game ends before the conferences are done. Having covered a few Frozen Fours, by the time you get to this point of the weekend, it's been a long few days after Thursday conferences/previews, both games Friday, the Kaz brunch and a final preview on Saturday. When I first started writing, it would take me forever just to transcribe all of the quotes from the interviews. It took a few years before I figured out to just skip to the ones that worked best in the story.

As for the Cornell thing, I remember a few years ago when Colgate was getting votes in the poll, and that was before they started winning. "I know it is one of those ECAC teams that start with a 'C'".

People are always saying Minnesota when they mean Minnesota-Duluth or Minnesota State, but I realize that is an easier mistake to make. Anyway, the Golden Knights are doing their part to make sure everyone knows who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I agree. Clarkson played masterfully & Wisconsin never really tested the goalie in the way they are more than capable of. That was the real story. I thought the Gophers look bad on Friday but didn't give Clarkson the credit they deserved for making that happen. That was a team win. And, also, Friday was more entertaining.
    I'm pretty sure that Clarkson is OK with the entertainment level they delivered, even if the WCHA snobs aren't....

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Clarkson is OK with the entertainment level they delivered, even if the WCHA snobs aren't....
    They played a hell of a game against MN, it was more fun than todays. Why so sensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Oh, nice comments about Tiley....you're a real treat....she's got a national championship now based on her performance this weekend and all year so I'd say she gets the last laugh...at you!
    What a ridiculous response. It has nothing to do with what I was pointing out.

It's not Tiley's fault that she wasn't tested. But it was on her that she kept failing to control the puck...luckily for her she didn't pay for it. You would collectively call that a "sensational" performance? She wasn't sensational nor was she called on to be sensational. Might she have had it in her today to be sensational? The fact is we don't know because she didn't have to be. She had an easy game, good for her, and her team won. My point was don't call a performance sensational when it clearly wasn't just because she happened to get a shut out in an easy game and...her team won. It's extremely disingenuous. Be happy for her and her team?...of course...but don't BS people in the process.

What a ridiculous response. It has nothing to do with what I was pointing out.

It's not Tiley's fault that she wasn't tested. But it was on her that she kept failing to control the puck...luckily for her she didn't pay for it. You would collectively call that a "sensational" performance? She wasn't sensational nor was she called on to be sensational. Might she have had it in her today to be sensational? The fact is we don't know because she didn't have to be. She had an easy game, good for her, and her team won. My point was don't call a performance sensational when it clearly wasn't just because she happened to get a shut out in an easy game and...her team won. It's extremely disingenuous. Be happy for her and her team?...of course...but don't BS people in the process.
    I hate to ever back up Shelfit on anything, but honestly yours is the ridiculous response. Tiley stopped 41 shots in the national championship game and pitched a shutout against a team that had found a way to win every game this season except 1 until today - that's a sensational performance in darn near anybody's book. Your perception that she didn't control the rebounds enough is totally meaningless - apparently she controlled the ones she needed to or Wisconsin would have won. And by the way, the best goalies are the ones who position themselves so well that all saves look effortless and like the shooting team is just shooting it into her over and over. You read like a bitter Western fan that's angry that an Eastern team "stole" your championship.

...pitched a shutout against a team that had found a way to win every game this season except 1 until today
    Wisconsin had a really good year, but it wasn't THAT good. There were six -and now seven - games they didn't win.

Tiley stopped 41 shots in the national championship game and pitched a shutout against a team that had found a way to win every game this season except 1 until today - that's a sensational performance in darn near anybody's book.
    You're confusing her actual performance with the fact that her team won and against an extremely good team. And if the shots weren't difficult or challenging shots, regardless of how many there were, then it was not a sensational performance. This is not complicated. And it has nothing to do with UW's record this season. If they failed to get any great shots on her that's not her fault and some kudos are due her team mates for helping in that regard.

And UW lost 2 games this season before today and tied a few.

Your perception that she didn't control the rebounds enough is totally meaningless - apparently she controlled the ones she needed to or Wisconsin would have won.
    I wasn't referring to "rebounds" generally. I was referring to the times when the puck was at her feet or in her crease and she was down/went down on her hands and knees attempting to trap it and then protect it on several occasions with lots of time and failed to do so properly. The fact that her team won doesn't negate the difficult time she continually had with these types of pucks today.

You read like a bitter Western fan that's angry that an Eastern team "stole" your championship.
    I hate to dispel your default Eastern theory but I was actually wanting Clarkson to win.

You read like a bitter Western fan that's angry that an Eastern team "stole" your championship.
    You seem to think that all "Western" fans think alike and want exactly the same thing. There's a big world outside of New England and we're not so easily covered by a single categorization. Heck, I've known a few Western fans over the years who came from New England.

Anyway, we'd only be bitter if a Hockey East team stole the championship.

The shot totals are misleading; Clarkson outplayed Wisconsin by a significant margin. They had better scoring chances and converted them. They were more disciplined, both in terms of committing penalties and in terms of playing within their system. The Badgers started out looking like they thought they'd won it when Minnesota lost, and finished in a total panic.

This western fan didn't think it was a boring game at all. It was very frustrating, since I was rooting for Wisconsin, but it wasn't boring.

I hate to dispel your default Eastern theory but I was actually wanting Clarkson to win.
    Me, too. It was lonely in that club of one with Minnesota being the only team to lose to an eastern school in the NCAA championship game. My "roommate" was for Wisconsin. I asked her if she would have cheered for North Dakota over Clarkson. She said she doesn't know and would have to think about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    The shot totals are misleading; Clarkson outplayed Wisconsin by a significant margin. They had better scoring chances and converted them.
    Eeyore, I sure didn't see it that way at all. Wisconsin had more scoring opportunities than Clarkson but found all kinds of ways to not convert any of them. The shot total doesn't include the half-dozen or so close-in hard shots that sailed just wide of the post. It also doesn't include a number of times when the puck was loose in the crease, with Tiley not able to cover up, but no Badger being in the right spot to tuck it in.

Rest assured, by no means am I saying that Wisconsin should have won, nor am I arguing that they outplayed Clarkson by anything resembling "a significant margin". But I can't agree with your assertion that the opposite is true. Overall I think the play was pretty even.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Thread Information