Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

[QUOTE=Sean Pickett;6468038]UML's top 6 D scored 27 goals with a 3.3% scoring percentage. Denver's top 6 D scored 15 goals with a 1.9% scoring percentage. BU's top 6 D scored 21 goals with a 3.0% scoring percentage.

What teams do you say had one of the top D corps in the nation if not UML and DU?

Sean

First of all contributing to the offense isn't just goals....UML D men have contributed 119 points this year...BC 108...Providence 102...Notre Dame 100.........BU 88....hard to believe with all that NHL skill

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    First of all contributing to the offense isn't just goals....UML D men have contributed 119 points this year...BC 108...Providence 102...Notre Dame 100.........BU 88....hard to believe with all that NHL skill
    You are the one who has been complaining about the lack of goal scoring by the defense and how great Switzer is with his 3 goals. Yet now you suddenly want to change the narrative.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    You are the one who has been complaining about the lack of goal scoring by the defense and how great Switzer is with his 3 goals. Yet now you suddenly want to change the narrative.

Sean
    What narrative am I changing?...this is not an elite offensive D core despite what Twitter and the talking heads on TV say...and yes if a kid scores 3 goals in 2 games he shouldn't be sitting for a month on a team that struggles to score....but just keep rolling out McAvoy every other shift and enjoy another first round knockout when you should be a #1 seed

People that are bashing Quinn should think back to the dumpster fire program that he took over four years ago. The program had just missed the tournament for the 3rd time in 4 seasons, was coming off the task force investigation/sex scandals and had a horrendous talent level. (Take a look at the roster the year Quinn took over. Dalton Macafee and TJ Ryan were regular defensemen.)

Since then, Quinn has taken the team to three straight tournaments, become best recruiting program in the country and quickly caught/past BC in recruiting and on ice.

Yes, his in game coaching has been suspect at time and I wish he would start getting more out of CM and JG, but the biggest flaw on this team is scoring depth. Particularly, scoring from upperclassmen forwards. Everyone would agree that to win championships you need a few upperclassmen scorers to balance things. The fact that this team has none is more of a reflection on the talent pool/recruiting that he was left with. I know that he technically recruited some of these Jr and Sr frwrds, but he was somewhat handcuffed because he was just hired.

Yes, I know Eichel helped speed up the rebuilding process.

Recruiting edge over BC, yes. On ice? This year but not last year. Quinn and his staff are great recruiters. No question about it. I can understand people being frustrated by his coaching though. You are BU. you *should* make the tourney just about every year.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Recruiting edge over BC, yes. On ice? This year but not last year. Quinn and his staff are great recruiters. No question about it. I can understand people being frustrated by his coaching though. You are BU. you *should* make the tourney just about every year.
    Where is Quinn history was he condsidered a good coach? The Pro team he came from struggled. He coached Nebraska in weak competition. The National team has a number of coaches and grade a talent. So his best years came as # 2 to Parker. Doesn't have it Head coach leadership like.
    Norm Bazin. Just cannot relate to kids. BU has plenty of talent and fun to watch just not a team with a coach

there's a good buck in that racket.
    What narrative am I changing?...this is not an elite offensive D core despite what Twitter and the talking heads on TV say...and yes if a kid scores 3 goals in 2 games he shouldn't be sitting for a month on a team that struggles to score....but just keep rolling out McAvoy every other shift and enjoy another first round knockout when you should be a #1 seed
    Good job quoting that post there!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    The BC guy gets it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike799 View Post
    People that are bashing Quinn should think back to the dumpster fire program that he took over four years ago. The program had just missed the tournament for the 3rd time in 4 seasons, was coming off the task force investigation/sex scandals and had a horrendous talent level. (Take a look at the roster the year Quinn took over. Dalton Macafee and TJ Ryan were regular defensemen.)

Since then, Quinn has taken the team to three straight tournaments, become best recruiting program in the country and quickly caught/past BC in recruiting and on ice.

Yes, his in game coaching has been suspect at time and I wish he would start getting more out of CM and JG, but the biggest flaw on this team is scoring depth. Particularly, scoring from upperclassmen forwards. Everyone would agree that to win championships you need a few upperclassmen scorers to balance things. The fact that this team has none is more of a reflection on the talent pool/recruiting that he was left with. I know that he technically recruited some of these Jr and Sr frwrds, but he was somewhat handcuffed because he was just hired.

Yes, I know Eichel helped speed up the rebuilding process.
    You don't get more out of players unless you hold them accountable..that isn't going to happen here...one of the reasons he is having such "success" on the recruiting trail is that the word is out...if I am an NHL draft pick or play for USA ice time will be given to me based on my resume not what I do at BU. What juniors and seniors who can play are going to stick around to be replaced by the latest NHL draft pick who will be handed their ice time?
    Last edited by BUtogether; 03-20-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Good job quoting that post there!!
    Oh Wookie ..no clue what you are taking about....again

You don't get more out of players unless you hold them accountable..that isn't going to happen here...one of the reasons he is having such "success" on the recruiting trail is that the word is out...if I am an NHL draft pick or play for USA ice time will be given to me based on my resume not what I do at BU. What juniors and seniors who can play are going to stick around to be replaced by the latest NHL draft pick who will be handed their ice time?
    How do you explain Bellows missing multiple games and being on the 3rd line based on his play?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    How do you explain Bellows missing multiple games and being on the 3rd line based on his play?
    Even if we all agree that
    A- coach doesn't like Bellows
    B. His play was poor early in season

Is it now not time to put Bellows and Keller together
    They were dynamite together last year
    He has even tried no goals Cloonan with Keller

Starting the season we returned few goals from last year
    O'Regan's strong year in AHL shows how valuable he was

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Even if we all agree that
    A- coach doesn't like Bellows
    B. His play was poor early in season

Is it now not time to put Bellows and Keller together
    They were dynamite together last year
    He has even tried no goals Cloonan with Keller

Starting the season we returned few goals from last year
    O'Regan's strong year in AHL shows how valuable he was
    This looks like a haiku.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    can't teach stupid
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    This looks like a haiku.
    Harlem Globetrotters
    With Quinn as their coach. Would lose
    To the Generals

Good luck in the NCAAs. Tough draw but at least you're in. Someone always surprises to come out of one bracket, why not BU? (I'm not actually asking that, because I know BUTogether will have some 'answers')
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Harlem Globetrotters
    With Quinn as their coach. Would lose
    To the Generals

Good luck in the NCAAs. Tough draw but at least you're in. Someone always surprises to come out of one bracket, why not BU? (I'm not actually asking that, because I know BUTogether will have some 'answers')
    Thumbs up. Sure, that can be our rallying cry...#WhyNotBU

Can't believe I have more confidence in BU's chances to beat UND than most on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by MplsSioux View Post
    Can't believe I have more confidence in BU's chances to beat UND than most on this board.
    You haven't seen our team play the last month and a half, and whilst you could make the same argument about your team, your team DID just beat the best team in the country, and #1 overall, Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by MplsSioux View Post
    Anything can happen in one game. Period. Especially hockey, where one bounce can change everything. But I think most people would agree that historically it is very rare that a team who is not playing well just "turns on the switch" and suddenly starts to win. What we are saying is that BU has been struggling (the last time they scored the first goal was, I believe, February 6). If they get behind Friday it will almost certainly be curtains. I'm not going to go back and check, but I would guess (and would probably be right more often than not) that if you took most of the national champions and looked at their results, they would have been trending "upwards" and/or playing well at the end of the season. So this, coupled with the fact that there probably won't be 100 BU fans there in a virtual Sioux (sorry, "Hawks") home game, seems to indicate it very unlikely that suddenly the Terriers are going to play the best game they've played in three months to pull this one out. As I said, anything can happen. But predictions are made on probabilities, and the probably of the Terriers winning this one seems to be small. By the way, has anyone mentioned that BU has been having trouble scoring goals?

Would we agree that if this game were at a true neutral site that BU would have an edge over ND? By any measurement, BU is the superior team, though I think ND is on the upswing.

The true threat is Duluth. I think BU has more problems with that team.

Last 10 games:

BU 5-4-1 incl. against 6 top-15 ranked teams, plus 2 against Northeastern that was playing like a ranked team in the second half.
    ND 6-1 against 4 top-15 ranked teams, plus 2 against #20 Omaha.

Almost same record with SOS edge to BU in last ten.
    Last edited by Tater; 03-20-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Thread Information