Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 627

Thread: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

  1. #81
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Back on the track & beatin' the flack
    Posts
    13,766

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    I think people are missing the point that the team is way underperforming given their talent level under Quinn, and regularly doesn't put in the same effort in big games that their opponents do, particularly Lowell and BC. This needs to be corrected and quickly or we're got ourselves a younger version of the last 15 years of Parker's tenure which was littered with a lack of effort and getting smoked by less talented teams that worked harder.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    531

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    This thread does not disappoint.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,084

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Another reason to do away with polls. Wasn't BC 5th preseason nationally but 5th or 6th in hockey east? Nothing more meaningless than the preseason national poll.

  4. #84
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I think people are missing the point that the team is way underperforming given their talent level under Quinn, and regularly doesn't put in the same effort in big games that their opponents do, particularly Lowell and BC. This needs to be corrected and quickly or we're got ourselves a younger version of the last 15 years of Parker's tenure which was littered with a lack of effort and getting smoked by less talented teams that worked harder.
    I don't think it is an effort issue. I see intensity and hustle, it just isn't producing the results we hoped for. I see a combination of a very young team and a coach that is struggling with how to put an offensive system in place that is well suited for them. The most "talented" forwards are the youngest, with Keller being an extreme example. I don't care how talented you are, you have to learn how to play the game smartly to succeed.

    I would like to see Quinn give the older guys more ice time (of course, playing catch-up every game lately doesn't help). The 4th line is not seeing nearly enough ice time in my opinion. Chabot is a very reliable older freshman who can bring stability.

    Also, I think the Power Play is trying too hard to make the pretty play. We have d that are talented enough to avoid blocked shots from the blue line - get it on net and crash for rebounds. The Umbrella ends up with too many passes, and then if the shot from one of the side players misses the net, it often comes out of the zone.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Agganis 115
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by srsterrier View Post
    Um, Mr. BU Hockey Expert ... you might want to try and get the team captain's name right.
    ...and it's not the first time he's made that mistake.

  6. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    2,903

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    I don't think it is an effort issue. I see intensity and hustle, it just isn't producing the results we hoped for. I see a combination of a very young team and a coach that is struggling with how to put an offensive system in place that is well suited for them. The most "talented" forwards are the youngest, with Keller being an extreme example. I don't care how talented you are, you have to learn how to play the game smartly to succeed.

    I would like to see Quinn give the older guys more ice time (of course, playing catch-up every game lately doesn't help). The 4th line is not seeing nearly enough ice time in my opinion. Chabot is a very reliable older freshman who can bring stability.

    Also, I think the Power Play is trying too hard to make the pretty play. We have d that are talented enough to avoid blocked shots from the blue line - get it on net and crash for rebounds. The Umbrella ends up with too many passes, and then if the shot from one of the side players misses the net, it often comes out of the zone.
    Absolutely. You just summed up (much more succinctly and without the emotion) what many of us have been trying to say. Early in the season I also attributed it to a "lack of effort" but have since come to the realization that this is not quite accurate. It's just frustrating to watch. Regarding the PP, a couple of times Friday (and I was sitting right at the top of the circle where we were shooting two out of three periods) I was just screaming "Shoot" as "they" (don't really want to single out anyone) would just hold the puck waiting for that perfect tic-tac-toe play. When I watch Lowell I see a team whose players always seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure what to attribute it too - maybe they're actually pressing too hard, because often the spacing is poor and players are right on top of one another (almost in each other's way), enabling the defense to cover them too easily. But I also feel that when you have a lot of very talented players, sometimes that all try to win the game by themselves and that's one reason why they don't appear to be "jelling" as perhaps one would expect. But then some nights they put it all together. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to put it together next weekend.

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    ...and it's not the first time he's made that mistake.
    Yep because auto correct misspells a name the message is irrelevant...ok Somerby sucks...happy now?

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    [QUOTE=defkit;6467729]Together - given how overrated Chuck is, can you put a stake in the ground and tell me when (if ever) you expect him to become an NHL regular? A team may love their draft pick, but if he is a liability on the ice, he ain't playing. So if he is as bad/overrated as you make him out to be, it would seem he has no shot of making the Bruins, at least for a couple years.

    Because all the local prognosticators seem to be confident he'll be playing at least some of next season for the big club. I'm not saying I agree, just what they all seem to think.[/QUOTE

    I don't care what he does with the Bruins or what his potential is...it hasn't happened at BU...perhaps he will go there and be reigned in and become a good # 5 or #6 defenseman...i will tell you if he continues to play like he has at BU he will be a first round bust ...I think it's best for his development to move on because he isn't getting better here

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Absolutely. You just summed up (much more succinctly and without the emotion) what many of us have been trying to say. Early in the season I also attributed it to a "lack of effort" but have since come to the realization that this is not quite accurate. It's just frustrating to watch. Regarding the PP, a couple of times Friday (and I was sitting right at the top of the circle where we were shooting two out of three periods) I was just screaming "Shoot" as "they" (don't really want to single out anyone) would just hold the puck waiting for that perfect tic-tac-toe play. When I watch Lowell I see a team whose players always seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure what to attribute it too - maybe they're actually pressing too hard, because often the spacing is poor and players are right on top of one another (almost in each other's way), enabling the defense to cover them too easily. But I also feel that when you have a lot of very talented players, sometimes that all try to win the game by themselves and that's one reason why they don't appear to be "jelling" as perhaps one would expect. But then some nights they put it all together. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to put it together next weekend.
    Actually if you look up the advanced metrics the top 6 D get over 33% of their shots blocked which is not good..Diffley around 38% and that terrible player Switzer 8%....the 2nd PP unit has been much more successful because Fabbro is the QB and the puck goes to the right spot quickly...shots get through and goals are scored simple

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofa View Post
    BU is 5-5-1 over the last 4 years vs Lowell including 1-1 this year with a two goal win and a one goal loss. Beatings ?
    BU got destroyed in last years playoffs...if not for Oettinger it could have been 6-1after 2 periods at BU....the game at Lowell I think BU had 8 shots after two periods but keep believing it's even.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by christos1968 View Post
    Start rooting for BC or UMass Lowell then; we won't miss you. You can root for BC and their head coach Mr Magoo next weekend- oh wait they didn't make the field
    They weren't on Twitter declaring themselves national champions before the season started...their coach wasn't on the NHL Network proclaiming he was the only guy who could screw this up....nor the non stop WJC crap...how many guys from Lowell were on that team?..I'm rooting for BU to play to their potential..they haven't for weeks and their is zero adjustment...just play MvAvoy more and hope it works out...it won't...but if you are happy god bless

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Agganis 115
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    Yep because auto correct misspells a name the message is irrelevant...ok Somerby sucks...happy now?
    Yes - I was right. You ARE a grumpy old man, and I appreciate you for it

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    I don't think it is an effort issue. I see intensity and hustle, it just isn't producing the results we hoped for. I see a combination of a very young team and a coach that is struggling with how to put an offensive system in place that is well suited for them. The most "talented" forwards are the youngest, with Keller being an extreme example. I don't care how talented you are, you have to learn how to play the game smartly to succeed.

    I would like to see Quinn give the older guys more ice time (of course, playing catch-up every game lately doesn't help). The 4th line is not seeing nearly enough ice time in my opinion. Chabot is a very reliable older freshman who can bring stability.

    Also, I think the Power Play is trying too hard to make the pretty play. We have d that are talented enough to avoid blocked shots from the blue line - get it on net and crash for rebounds. The Umbrella ends up with too many passes, and then if the shot from one of the side players misses the net, it often comes out of the zone.
    The blocked shot % for the D are terrible...as are the missed shots...but nothing changes....Chabot????....what are you Chabot's dad?....jk...I agree with you he should see way more ice but gosh darn it Cloonan is gonna score some day right?

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    Yes - I was right. You ARE a grumpy old man, and I appreciate you for it
    I appreciate the appreciation

  15. #95
    Shooooot!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    679

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    I don't think it is an effort issue. I see intensity and hustle, it just isn't producing the results we hoped for. I see a combination of a very young team and a coach that is struggling with how to put an offensive system in place that is well suited for them. The most "talented" forwards are the youngest, with Keller being an extreme example. I don't care how talented you are, you have to learn how to play the game smartly to succeed.

    I would like to see Quinn give the older guys more ice time (of course, playing catch-up every game lately doesn't help). The 4th line is not seeing nearly enough ice time in my opinion. Chabot is a very reliable older freshman who can bring stability.

    Also, I think the Power Play is trying too hard to make the pretty play. We have d that are talented enough to avoid blocked shots from the blue line - get it on net and crash for rebounds. The Umbrella ends up with too many passes, and then if the shot from one of the side players misses the net, it often comes out of the zone.
    Bravo.

    I propose we have two BU threads going forward. One for those of us who actually like the team and hope for them to do well. Another for the haters and complainers.
    Go BU!

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by smyler3 View Post
    Bravo.

    I propose we have two BU threads going forward. One for those of us who actually like the team and hope for them to do well. Another for the haters and complainers.
    One for the realists and one for the Ostriches

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by smyler3 View Post
    Bravo.

    I propose we have two BU threads going forward. One for those of us who actually like the team and hope for them to do well. Another for the haters and complainers.
    You mean separate pre and post game threads?

  18. #98
    Shooooot!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    679

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Absolutely. You just summed up (much more succinctly and without the emotion) what many of us have been trying to say. Early in the season I also attributed it to a "lack of effort" but have since come to the realization that this is not quite accurate. It's just frustrating to watch. Regarding the PP, a couple of times Friday (and I was sitting right at the top of the circle where we were shooting two out of three periods) I was just screaming "Shoot" as "they" (don't really want to single out anyone) would just hold the puck waiting for that perfect tic-tac-toe play. When I watch Lowell I see a team whose players always seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure what to attribute it too - maybe they're actually pressing too hard, because often the spacing is poor and players are right on top of one another (almost in each other's way), enabling the defense to cover them too easily. But I also feel that when you have a lot of very talented players, sometimes that all try to win the game by themselves and that's one reason why they don't appear to be "jelling" as perhaps one would expect. But then some nights they put it all together. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to put it together next weekend.
    This is the most reasoned post I've seen from you in months. This is not what you're saying in your in-game posts.
    Go BU!

  19. #99
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    28,558

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Fargo it is. And the Bracket of Death.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,084

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Ya, bracket integrity. Brutal draw for you guys.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. BUtogether

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •