Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by bu98 View Post
    A few thoughts
    1. Go Terriers (whew) !
    2. video review on an offside 30 seconds before a GW Goal shouldn't be used to wave off a goal. I don't care if it benefits my team, that offside had zero impact on the potential GWG play.
    3. **** you, ESPN. I recorded the game and they switched from a 2OT hockey game to a women's bball sweet 16 game. If you're going to commit to put hockey on ESPN2, put hockey on ESPN2. This Match-up was so big that it was the only regional semi on a real ESPN channel. So I missed the GWG.
    4. Lol at the **** talk on McAvoy and 'Somersby'.
    5. Thank JFC for Jake. Very DiPietro-esque, except we won that game (I lived in Seattle at the time and my only update feed for the game was this very message board).
    6. Despite this being a home game for the SooHawks, I have a ton of respect for UND fans and they deserved a better fate. 2 years ago at the Garden, I chatted with this bear of a guy in the Sioux corner suite after our win and he was the nicest guy, even in defeat. Flash forward to Saturday night, my crying 7 year old and I are trudging through the crowd at North Station and who spots is and gives us a huge hug, this same Sioux guy. Class. He said to me "you guys will be back" and I told him his would too. They win the whole thing in 2016. Let's not waste this tremendous opportunity. Go Terriers!
    The TV thing has been brought up ad nauseum. I completely agree but it's never going to change. I actually posted it about 2 seconds after they "announced" the switch. It stinks. What is troublesome is that when LACROSSE runs overtime, they keep the game on that channel and don't even SHOW the hockey. They join the game halfway through. And, of course, women's basketball is way more important. You know, in some ways it was better in the old days when the broadcasts were syndicated and a "local" channel would pick it up. Because the reality is this: if you're going to show this on a "national" network, you have to understand that people in non-collegy hockey areas (which is most of the country) would RATHER watch tiddlywinks, so hockey will get pre-empted for almost ANYTHING. The same thing happens in golf, by the way. If a tournament goes into sudden death, CBS will show "60 Minutes" and then switch the golf to Golf Channel. So if you are recording it, good luck.

Secondly (and I can tell from the number of times you have posted that you most likely have not seen the back and forth banter on this), I also completely agree about the review. Completely ridiculous. (Sean won't agree) Humans make mistakes. If they missed the call, they missed the call. It had NO bearing on the goal. Let's say North Dakota had the puck in the zone WITHOUT IT COMING OUT for five minutes before they scored (not unreasonable if you watched the game tonight ). You're telling me that something that occurred FIVE MINUTES before the goal should have any effect? Next are we going to start keeping score of all the "mistakes" made by officials? And while we're at it, you're telling me that a grainy "long shot" from the other side of the rink with parallax preventing any actual view is "conclusive" evidence? I never saw a shot where they "synced" the two views. From what I saw the boards were blocking the feet of the left wing so there was no way to tell if he was in the zone ahead of the puck or not. How could you possibly tell from an END SHOT 200 feet away that they had to zoom in to even see if he was in ahead of the puck, which was all the way across the ice on the other wall?

Replay is ruining sports. It destroys the flow of the game, not to mention adding a ridiculous amount of time. Someone asked tonight "Why is it taking so long to review this?" You can go back and look at my response (as a former official) if you would like, but the point is they STILL don't always get it right after looking at it fifty times. So what exactly is the point? They don't go back and replay the game whenever a player makes a mistake. Why do they do it after a referee makes one? No wonder these guys are afraid to make calls. Big Brother is watching.

I agree about the North Dakota fans...I experienced similar sentiments at the Garden in 2015.
    Last edited by chickod; 03-24-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      They didn't call that (when the Ohio State guy got CRUSHED into the boards while on his knees) but that called that cheap one on Greenway????
      Can't believe they didn't call that one on UMD there, that was a legitimate board, unlike that weak cross-check on Doyle (or was it Hickey?) as well as Jordan's penalty early in the game.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

The replay review in tonight's Air Force and Western Michigan was extremely long too
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
          - So, that was the worst game I have seen BU play in a long time. I don't know if it was the game plan or ineptitude, but save for a few minutes overall, the ice was tilted so much that it really looked like an AHL team playing against a D-3 team. I mean the inability to get the puck out was mind boggling. And when we did get it out, it came right back in, again, and again, and again. At least half the time UND was in our zone, they looked like they had a power play. I'm still stunned we scored 4 goals. The shots on goal were more than 2-1, and I think they aren't as bad as how it really was.
          - What you can you say about Oettinger. He came up huge. Glad to see him get his mojo back.
          - I'll keep my thought about long-term coaching out for now, but for this game, our coaching was terrible. Guys late getting on the ice for changes, giving them brief man advantages. Timing of line changes in general almost came back to bite us. How does Greenway still take such a dumb penalty in OT, wiping out a PP? He's a sophomore for crying out loud. And just going back to the inability to break the puck out. What is that? Is that talent? I think it has to be the coaching. Then the fatigue set in, and Quinn finally had to start giving the 4th line a shift (never all at once).I think Chabot had no shifts in the 2nd 3rd, or OT periods. It's not sustainable. Given how bad the other guys looked out there, I don't understand why he wouldn't get the 4th liners out more.
          - I'm thrilled we won, but this was a stolen game if there every was one. I hope they can find some more magic tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.
          - Oh and I guess Sean and BUTogether need to redo all the stat arguments, now that McAvoy scored a goal.
          No BU won and Charlie scored so all is well...Oettinger and Keller once again cover up absolute garbage play and I am just Switzer's dad...Why would Chabot get a shift when Cloonan and Bellows were so dominant?
          Last edited by BUtogether; 03-24-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

That Bellows slap bunt off the post would have been a sweet way to win it too.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
              No BU won and Charlie scored so all is well...Oettinger and Keller once again cover up absolute garbage play and I am just Switzer's dad...Why would Chabot get a shift when Cloonan and Bellows were so dominant?
              As a BU fan, winning in the post season is what's it all about.

I am proud of Shane for already being a much better man than his father. You are the poster child for a projecting dad.

I am sad that you can't just enjoy your son's team winning.
              Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU2K View Post

I am proud of Shane for already being a much better man than his father. You are the poster child for a projecting dad.

I'm not his dad dumbass...

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  That Bellows slap bunt off the post would have been a sweet way to win it too.
                  Maybe he should switch to baseball

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Secondly (and I can tell from the number of times you have posted that you most likely have not seen the back and forth banter on this), I also completely agree about the review. Completely ridiculous. (Sean won't agree)
                    Thank you for telling me what I think because before you told me I thought disallowing goals for offsides that don't affect the scoring play is...completely ridiculous. Now I know better, so thank you very much. The problem with video review of offsides is that has gone far beyond what I believe was the intent: disallowing goals when an obvious uncalled offsides had a bearing on the goal. I'm all for dropping video review of offsides (or I was until I was informed I wasn't ), but the earliest that can happen is after next season.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Sean, do you keep blocked shots stats? Hickey had 17!!! of them today. That is insane. The best I could find in terms of records is an NHL record of 15 in one game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                        Sean, do you keep blocked shots stats? Hickey had 17!!! of them today. That is insane. The best I could find in terms of records is an NHL record of 15 in one game.
                        Hickey has had a great bounce back year

Comment

• Originally posted by BU2K
                          Of course not sweetheart. So is that bridge your selling in Brooklyn still available? Boy I'd like to get in on that...

Not as much as you apparently want to gobble your son's knob for scoring 3 goals in 4 periods but to each his own.

And in your case, you share a bunch of chromosomes.. unless your wife forgot to tell you somethin'...
                          blah blah blah...I think Bellows just turned over the puck again and Krys tried to make the kick save to avoid contact...the only knob that should be gobbled is Oettinger...what an embarrassing performance...couldn't even get out of their own end with all that NHL talent...do you even have a wife snowflake?

Comment

• Originally posted by BU2K View Post

Yes winning is all that matters so when you make zero adjustments and don't win tomorrow that will mean what sugarlips?..or we can just hope the goalie makes 60 saves again.

Comment

...the only knob that should be gobbled is Oettinger...
                              I'm glad you've become comfortable with your sexuality I am Soooo excited for you! Much better choice than swallowing your son. .
                              Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Yes winning is all that matters.
                                Pretty much that's what the REAL BU fans want to do.

I'll be very happy with 3 more dumbass

Comment

Working...
                                X