Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    But hopefully with a (hopefully) increasingly older team, Quinn will install a looser, more skill-based offense that lets the players go a bit.
    But do you see any indication that he intends to go that route? It's just kind of funny, because I posted this last year (that they need more of a balance- more "older" players to provide stability, leadership and continuity) and I have been continuously villified for it.

Comment

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      But do you see any indication that he intends to go that route? It's just kind of funny, because I posted this last year (that they need more of a balance- more "older" players to provide stability, leadership and continuity) and I have been continuously villified for it.
      Someone with time can post the ages for the 2017 freshman class. Obviously Tkachuk, Farrance and Cockerill are young. Is Amonte the same age? I feel like Crone is a little older - wasn't he originally going to come in last year? Bowers is draft eligible this year, so not old.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        While I normally agree with you, I gotta say that I don't think you watched the game against BC if you think they took off any part of that game. They were the better team in the first period and most of the third. They were horrible in the second, from the moment the puck dropped, but it certainly wasn't for lack of effort.
        Watched the entire sorry spectacle. They were regularly outhustled until the last 3 minutes. No the bad goals given up by Oettinger didn't help, but they didn't show up to play plain and simple. Even with the half arsed offensive system and Oettinger doing his best Matty O'Connor in net, a full 60 minute effort may have won them that game. Yes its a young team but they can't just bring the intensity at the end of the game.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
          Well if I had a daughter the oldest she could possibly be would be 5, so if he did I feel like I would be doing other things to rectify the situation.
          so you're 17 or 18?!?!?!?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
            Well if I had a daughter the oldest she could possibly be would be 5, so if he did I feel like I would be doing other things to rectify the situation.
            Must be your wife then...doubt you could do anything cream puff...you were the gutless clown on here accusing a kid of drinking because I said he should be in the line up...so I will ask again...what is your infatuation with BU hockey?... have you ever even seen the kid play or are you the one secretly in love with DQ and I disparaged your man crush...if I were a Lowell fan I wouldn't worry one second about BU..Lowell has won 3 of the last 4 and dominated the game they lost....ahhh now I get it you love DQ's coaching

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Either that or it was 5 years ago when he realized he liked men...nothing wrong with that you go girl

Comment

This thread needs a moderator. Or an enema.
                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Under what you're assuming the oldest she'd be is 11/12
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Someone with time can post the ages for the 2017 freshman class. Obviously Tkachuk, Farrance and Cockerill are young. Is Amonte the same age? I feel like Crone is a little older - wasn't he originally going to come in last year? Bowers is draft eligible this year, so not old.
                    Amonte and Crone are 19....Kotkansalo Cockerill...18 Bowers..Crotty..Farrance Tkachuk...17

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Watched the entire sorry spectacle. They were regularly outhustled until the last 3 minutes. No the bad goals given up by Oettinger didn't help, but they didn't show up to play plain and simple. Even with the half arsed offensive system and Oettinger doing his best Matty O'Connor in net, a full 60 minute effort may have won them that game. Yes its a young team but they can't just bring the intensity at the end of the game.
                      They showed up to play - and got stoned by Woll in the first period. They responded terribly in the second by not hustling, getting outworked, and allowing two goals that shouldn't have happened. Yet they actually outchanced BC in the second period. That poor response continued into the first part of the third where lack of hustle and poor puck movement handed BC that disastrous third goal. Yes, they mounted a huge comeback at the end and had even more chances to score that Woll stoned or that went wide, but the overarching problem was their initial response to the adversity they faced was bad. The same thing happened against Northeastern - get down a goal quickly, play like garbage, give up another goal, hold on to keep the deficit at two, eventually regather a period or two later, make huge comeback. I don't fear as much that they give up the first goal, I fear that their response to giving up the first goal is to go into Chicken Little mode and think the sky is falling. That inevitably leads to more and more poor play, more bad goals, less effort, etc. That falls on the shoulders of everyone on the ice and behind the bench.

If they were better mentally prepared to respond to immediately respond to adversity, giving up that first goal to BC wouldn't be a major issue. You refocus, adjust your scheme if necessary, get a drink of water and get back out there. But when that first goal went in I think we all knew a second was coming soon and it'd be a bit before they began to dig themselves out of that rut, if they did.
                      Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-23-2017, 04:44 PM.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        They showed up to play - and got stoned by Woll in the first period. They responded terribly in the second by not hustling, getting outworked, and allowing two goals that shouldn't have happened. Yet they actually outchanced BC in the second period. That poor response continued into the first part of the third where lack of hustle and poor puck movement handed BC that disastrous third goal. Yes, they mounted a huge comeback at the end and had even more chances to score that Woll stoned or that went wide, but the overarching problem was their initial response to the adversity they faced was bad. The same thing happened against Northeastern - get down a goal quickly, play like garbage, give up another goal, hold on to keep the deficit at two, eventually regather a period or two later, make huge comeback. I don't fear as much that they give up the first goal, I fear that their response to giving up the first goal is to go into Chicken Little mode and think the sky is falling. That inevitably leads to more and more poor play, more bad goals, less effort, etc. That falls on the shoulders of everyone on the ice and behind the bench.

If they were better mentally prepared to respond to immediately respond to adversity, giving up that first goal to BC wouldn't be a major issue. You refocus, adjust your scheme if necessary, get a drink of water and get back out there. But when that first goal went in I think we all knew a second was coming soon and it'd be a bit before they began to dig themselves out of that rut, if they did.
                        And a puzzling inability to score goals...with all that NHL talent...and we all know who didn't hustle on goal number 3...what do you think the repercussions will be ?..nothing...and that's the problem
                        Last edited by BUtogether; 03-23-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Being the youngest team in the country has nothing to do with adjusting classes or whatever. The same programs are always the youngest teams. Not just a BU thing. When BC was winning titles they would routinely be youngest team. Michigan etc

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            +100

Exactly what a number of us have been saying, and IMO it's DIRECTLY attributable to lack of experience, maturity, composure, whatever word you want to use. Much of which can be solved by adding some experience to the "mix." I just don't see how, if BU continues down this road of "let's get all the top players we can even though we know they're going to be one and done," they can consistently win.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                              ..what do you think the repercussions will be ?..nothing...and that's the problem
                              ..well they are student athletes.. not full fledged pros yet. they are (hard to believe).. still learning.
                              .. geez relax & enjoy the ncaa gms.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Being the youngest team in the country has nothing to do with adjusting classes or whatever. The same programs are always the youngest teams. Not just a BU thing. When BC was winning titles they would routinely be youngest team. Michigan etc
                                Interesting you bring up Michigan...they have one tournament appearance in the last 5 years with the young approach...when they were dominant they were heavily laden with upperclassmen

Comment

Working...
                                X