Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Lowell is the top scoring d core in the country. Not on twitter though. Just the ice
    Yep

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      Well they ssay that in Minnesota for his brother. You know, the all American in 2014. Who played for lowell? And is now on the wild...
      Good for his brother who cares...why are you even here troll

Comment

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by Tater View Post
        This scenario Jofa asked about still has UML winning Hockey East. Just BU winning Friday night would have made them a #1 seed.

http://techhockeyguide.com/pairwise-...a-0cc47a7e6a58
        ah ha...

didn't someone write last week that the 4-5-6 group at the time (western, goofs, terriors) were set up where in that order whomever won a game was going to get 4?
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether
          1/3 of your shots blocked isn't good and I didn't read anywhere that they were the top D cores in the country like I constantly here about BU with their ultra skilled 6 NHL draft picks....did you happen to check their points also?....way ahead of BU's NHL D core...rolls eyes
          D corp

not D core

(gonna blame steve jobs again? )
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
            Zero fans, since Moses Brown does not have an ice rink.
            sounds like the right size then

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              D corp

not D core

(gonna blame steve jobs again? )
              From the moron who talks to himself and refers to himself in the 3rd person....you are so cute Nookie

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                UML's top 6 D got 33.1% of thier shots blocked, so I guess they're not very good either. I also checked top ranked Denver's top 6 D and they had 32.8% of their shots blocked, so I guess they stink as well.

Sean
                Did you look up those records ?because clearly we can't win with Switzer and Diffley both playing defense....plus it's their not thier so according to the spelling teachers on this forum your point is invalid....right Wookie?
                Last edited by BUtogether; 03-19-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                  This is the most reasoned post I've seen from you in months. This is not what you're saying in your in-game posts.
                  I let my emotions get the best of me. I was pretty upset Friday. At 7:56 I posted "Where are all the BU fans?" It's just very depressing to me to witness a tournament game with such a lousy atmosphere. No excitement or electricity. I know people tend to 'arrive late,' but time kept going by and the game got closer until I finally came to the realization that "This is it. Nobody else is coming." I don't know how to explain it other than saying going to a game that feels like a practice is not a lot of fun for me. Part of the enjoyment is a big crowd who really gets into the game. And I guess that's the problem. People that figure "Why should I go if I 'm just going to sit on my hands anyway? I can save money and stay home."

Sorry...when it comes to spectator sports I should have grown up somewhere else because the elitist big city "attitude" doesn't sit well with me. I feel completely out of place. I was the ONLY BU fan in my entire SECTION (of course, most of the section was empty after the Lowell fans - about 3,500 of them - left).

Well, I won't have to worry about that Friday. All the tickets have already been bought by North Dakota fans...

Comment

• Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                    Good for his brother who cares...why are you even here troll
                    I'm sorry Swither wouldn't let you diddle him hoky, but that doesn't mean you needed to make a new username.

Ps. Guessing my sig won't show cause I'm on mobile. I'm referencing the time BUtogether said he'd blow Switzer
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      People that figure "Why should I go if I 'm just going to sit on my hands anyway? I can save money and stay home."
                      A serious question: Do you go to all the BU home games every season, including the playoffs? Do you ever go to away games? What about NCAA games? I seem to recall you posting you were not going to Manchester in 2015, or am I mistaken?

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Sorry...when it comes to spectator sports I should have grown up somewhere else because the elitist big city "attitude" doesn't sit well with me. I feel completely out of place. I was the ONLY BU fan in my entire SECTION (of course, most of the section was empty after the Lowell fans - about 3,500 of them - left).
                      Attendance this year was the worst in over 17 years, but it was still not terrible and would likely have been better if Notre Dame was not there. And with 4 teams and neutral fans BU probably had as many fans as UML or BC.

By the way, attendance was down for every league tournament this year.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        A serious question: Do you go to all the BU home games every season, including the playoffs? Do you ever go to away games? What about NCAA games? I seem to recall you posting you were not going to Manchester in 2015, or am I mistaken?

Attendance this year was the worst in over 17 years, but it was still not terrible and would likely have been better if Notre Dame was not there. And with 4 teams and neutral fans BU probably had as many fans as UML or BC.

By the way, attendance was down for every league tournament this year.

Sean
                        plus, as most here realize, the HE Tourney is no where near as popular among the students of any of the three schools as the Beanpot is, given the time of year being somewhat a factor but not a big one. Not saying it's right but it's true and just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether
                          1/3 of your shots blocked isn't good and I didn't read anywhere that they were the top D cores in the country like I constantly here about BU with their ultra skilled 6 NHL draft picks....did you happen to check their points also?....way ahead of BU's NHL D core...rolls eyes
                          Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                          Lowell is the top scoring d core in the country. Not on twitter though. Just the ice
                          UML's top 6 D scored 27 goals with a 3.3% scoring percentage. Denver's top 6 D scored 15 goals with a 1.9% scoring percentage. BU's top 6 D scored 21 goals with a 3.0% scoring percentage.

What teams do you say had one of the top D corps in the nation if not UML and DU?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                            plus, as most here realize, the HE Tourney is no where near as popular among the students of any of the three schools as the Beanpot is, given the time of year being somewhat a factor but not a big one. Not saying it's right but it's true and just the way it is.
                            The Hockey East Tournament has had one sellout year (semifinals and final) at TD Garden in 2005. It had a great run from 1998 (I'm missing attendance figures) or 1999 through 2006, but it started to drop off in 2007. Since then only 2011 has had higher per session and semifinal attendance, with this year the second lowest per session and lowest semifinal attendance. Attendance for the championship game has fared slightly better, but it was still on the lower end this year. This was also the 4th straight year that the championship game outdrew the semifinals. Before 2014 the last time that happened was in 2002 (with 2005 having the same attendance for both semifinals and final).

I really need the missing attendance figures for several years for Hockey East and more for the other league tournaments (2003 or earlier), but in general attendance at all of them has been in decline since around the same time. And as I mentioned before all the leagues saw attendance declines this year.

Sean
                            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                              A few months ago you asked me "What would it take to get you to start coming again? (I'm paraphrasing but I'm pretty close - not going to go back and look it up)
                              I wasn't going to get into this now...I was actually preparing to write a detailed response and then just figured it would be better as an "offseason" discussion.

But, to answer your question...we had season tickets for seven years and due to a variety or reasons were unable to renew. I have been to every arena in the league (except Alfond because it's essentially a weekend long thing). I was at the Frozen Fours (they didn't call it that then) in '72, '73, '74, '78, '95, '98, '04, '09 and '15. I was at both games in Manchester in 2015. I have been at almost every BU NCAA regional game in either Worcester or Manchester since the late '90s (save a couple) and a couple in Providence.

Let's just stop there for now. We can revisit this after the season. And I get it that attendance is down nationwide. I'm not BLAMING anyone. Why does everything think that there has to be blame attached to everything? It is just very disappointing and deflating to me personally (I said "to ME") to go to a game in a half-empty arena, because I remember the (I know I'll get slammed for this) "good 'ole days." Sorry. But when we didn't have cell phones, in-game constant noise and "activities" to feed peoples' short attention spans, and when people actually went to WATCH the game, PARTICIPATE and CHEER for their teams, it was much better. I can't help when I was born. Also, to put things in perspective so that you can better understand, here is a list of what I have been to (only a partial list):

- saw Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain play in Boston Garden
                              - saw Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe play in Boston Garden
                              - saw George Blanda, Tobin Rote, Lance Alworth, Jim Nance, Babe Parilli, Gino Cappalletti, Ron Burton, Billy Cannon, Cookie Gilchrist and many others play in the old AFL at Fenway Park in the '60s
                              - was at Game 6 of the 1975 World Series (Carlton Fisk's home run) at Fenway
                              - was at Game 4 of the 1977 Stanley Cup Finals (final game of a Canadiens' sweep) at Boston Garden when Montreal beat the Bruins 2-1 on a Jacques -Lemaire goal in OT to win the Stanley Cup - Guy LaFleur was on that team
                              - was at the 1977 ECAC Semi-Finals - UNH beat Cornell 10-9 on a Bob Gould goal 19 seconds into the 2nd OT / in the nightcap, BU (with Silk, Meagher, Eruzione, Craig) was trailing Clarkson (with Dave Taylor) 6-4 before scoring 3 goals in the last 3 some-odd minutes to win 7-6
                              - was at the "Bucky Dent" playoff game in 1978 at Fenway
                              - was at the Frozen Four (not called that then) in '78 in Providence when BU beat favored Wisconsin (with Mike Eaves - the player)...Jack O'Callahan beat two forecheckers and threw one up to Silk who slid it over to Bethel for one of the most beautiful goals I have seen and BU went on to win
                              - was in Anaheim for all three ALCS games in 1986 (including the Dave Henderson game)
                              - was at Fenway when Clemens dueled Dave Stewart in the ALCS

I'm sure (no, I KNOW) I have left plenty out...

You have to understand that for someone who has played sports all his life, it's pretty difficult to watch others play anyway, without having to do it in a crappy atmosphere. Also, as I get older, I want to avail myself of every opportunity to experience some things that I have missed along the way. Another factor is one can only rely on adrenaline so much. I have been very fortunate in my life (which is why I included the above list) to have experienced some incredible events, but the downside is it is tougher to get excited now. I mean, how do you ever top DC in '09? That doesn't make me a "fair weather" fan. I just find it personally disappointing to sit and watch in a lousy environment when I could be out doing something else, like playing golf. We only have so much time on this earth so I would prefer to be active as much as possible.

There are plenty of other reasons more applicable to BU specifically, but I won't go into that here. It's a good off-season discussion to have. Many other programs are plagued with the same challenges, but right now we should be discussing the upcoming playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                Unfortunately, that's true. Which could lead to another discussion, which, as I said above, is better left for the off-season...

Comment

Working...
                                X