Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 1001

Thread: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

  1. #941
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    You got that right! And that's all I was "asking" for all along. If these guys DO stay, as alluded to above, it immediately thrusts this team into the discussion for a National Championship next year.

    (Did I indicate that this made me happy?)
    His quote is right. In this age of where the top prospects are coming from (more from the USA) and where they want to play (more in college) the Kellers and Eichels are going to come to college and BU should absolutely continue recruiting them, but they have to balance that with the Pat Currys and Nik Olssons who are four-year players who develop into excellent college players as well as hopefully (it seems) getting a few JFKs who one day will get their shot at the NHL but need a solid three years of college to realize that potential. If that's the model BU is using, I'm all for it. I think Quinn and his staff, as well as every other staff in the country at a big program, is in the process of figuring out how to construct their rosters and manage them in-season with more high-end talent becoming available. If a Clayton Keller or Jack Eichel walks into a coach's office and says he wants to play at your school, you absolutely cannot say no because you know he'll only be there a year. You just have to figure out how to make it work in the short and long term.

    And if it turns out that all remaining players do return, next year's squad will be laden with experience and have the potential to be very special. Eight upperclassmen would be getting significant minutes, plus the rising sophomores and a spectacular goaltender.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  2. #942
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    Well that is certainly encouraging. I know I complain about him a lot, but that is really just on-ice x's and o's stuff. I think he knows how to run a program. Since he has become head coach, pretty much everything I have read of what he has said has been great to hear. On a side note, I think his players have always said the right things to the media, too. I guess they take his example. That might be why Fabbro's weird post-game quote stuck out to me. Anyway, I continue to post this, but I don't understand the people who complain that the players are just using BU as a stepping stone for the NHL and they don't care about playing for BU or Quinn, their head isn't here, etc. Those people just aren't paying attention.
    Another note - has anyone decommitted from BU (unilaterally) and/or gone the MJ route, since Quinn took over? Over the last decade or so with Parker, it seemed to be a common occurrence (at lest the MJ route). Ethan Werek, Anthony DeAngelo, Angelo Esposito, Adam Erne....

    I know some of them were just using BU as a pawn, but still, between Eichel and Keller, those were guys that got a very hard push from the Q/OHL, but it seems these guys all want to play for Quinn. Even Eichel who had an excuse since he was recruited by Parker. (Insert snide comment from about guaranteed ice time here...)
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  3. #943
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,218

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Even if greenway/JFK return, you lost keller and didn't really have much at all on 3rd/4th lines. Doesn't appear you're bringing anyone in close to a keller. Guess I would think of you similar to this year's team. A very good team but i don't see the potential for a "special" team. Suppose Oettinger could dominate though.

  4. #944
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,218

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    JFK didn't really elevate his game from his freshman year and you guys have said on here greenway wasn't great/consistent down the stretch. Things get tougher when you lose a special player like keller even if you have a lot of good players.

  5. #945
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    6,889

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Even if greenway/JFK return, you lost keller and didn't really have much at all on 3rd/4th lines. Doesn't appear you're bringing anyone in close to a keller. Guess I would think of you similar to this year's team. A very good team but i don't see the potential for a "special" team. Suppose Oettinger could dominate though.
    I guess that would be a pessimistic view. I agree that this year's team saw a HUGE drop in talent/production from the 2nd to 3rd/4th line which weakened the offense. In fact, I called it before the season started.

    If BU did not have anyone coming in I might agree with your overall point. However, BU has a likely 1st rounder coming in (Bowers), a PPG USHL player (Crone), one of the better U-18 team players (Tkachuk), and a couple other freshmen with potential (Cockerill, Amonte.)

    BU gains another year of development out of JFK, Carpenter, Greenway, Harper, Bellows (!), etc. Never mind some upperclassmen leadership that was missing from this year's team. Oettinger at .926 with a year of experience under his belt.

    Sure, no one at the level of Keller, but if all these players remain, BU will be a MUCH deeper and experienced team than this season.
    Last edited by Tater; 03-29-2017 at 11:13 PM.

  6. #946
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post

    Sure, no one at the level of Keller, but if all these players remain, BU will be a MUCH deeper and experienced team than this season.
    Look at a team like Denver, no one on that roster is at the level of Keller, but they have piece after piece after piece after piece after piece. That would be the best case scenario model for BU next season, to be able to roll three solid lines who are all threats to score, a fourth line who skates hard and plays great defense backed up by a balance of scoring D and defensive D. If that's all on top of .926 goaltending, that's a great setup.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  7. #947
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Look at a team like Denver, no one on that roster is at the level of Keller, but they have piece after piece after piece after piece after piece. That would be the best case scenario model for BU next season, to be able to roll three solid lines who are all threats to score, a fourth line who skates hard and plays great defense backed up by a balance of scoring D and defensive D. If that's all on top of .926 goaltending, that's a great setup.
    Borgstrom and Terry are very close to Keller...their other lines have far more skill and their top #1 D is true hobey candidate not a media driven smoke and mirrors show....I'm not sure Quinn is capable of putting pieces together his offensive strategy so far has been to open the door for Keller and Eichel...the pieces could be there next year...we shall see...other than Fabbro where are you getting scoring from your D?
    Last edited by BUtogether; 03-30-2017 at 01:24 AM.

  8. #948
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Another note - has anyone decommitted from BU (unilaterally) and/or gone the MJ route, since Quinn took over? Over the last decade or so with Parker, it seemed to be a common occurrence (at lest the MJ route). Ethan Werek, Anthony DeAngelo, Angelo Esposito, Adam Erne....

    I know some of them were just using BU as a pawn, but still, between Eichel and Keller, those were guys that got a very hard push from the Q/OHL, but it seems these guys all want to play for Quinn. Even Eichel who had an excuse since he was recruited by Parker. (Insert snide comment from about guaranteed ice time here...)
    If you are an NHL draft pick or played for the NTDP why wouldn't you want to play for Quinn...guaranteed iced time..zero accountability...the Kellers and Eichels are worth it...the problem is the rest aren't.

  9. #949
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    If you are an NHL draft pick or played for the NTDP why wouldn't you want to play for Quinn...guaranteed iced time..zero accountability...the Kellers and Eichels are worth it...the problem is the rest aren't.
    Guaranteed ice time for NHL draft picks and NTDP products? Right. Just ask John MacLeod. I'd say stop embarrassing yourself but it's actually fun reading your posts. Kind of a "Where's Waldo" for inaccuracies and baseless opinions. So, by all means, keep 'em coming.

  10. #950
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,218

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    If calling BU a very good team is pessimistic, guilty as charged! I just think when you lose such a special player like keller it leaves a mark. He makes everyone around him better.

  11. #951
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by srsterrier View Post
    Guaranteed ice time for NHL draft picks and NTDP products? Right. Just ask John MacLeod. I'd say stop embarrassing yourself but it's actually fun reading your posts. Kind of a "Where's Waldo" for inaccuracies and baseless opinions. So, by all means, keep 'em coming.
    John MacLeod played every game this year that he was healthy...talk about an inaccuracy

  12. #952
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    115

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Indeed. And with Olsen, Greenway, JFK, Hickey, Carpenter back as key contributors, they will be an upperclassman led team.

    Now they just need to figure out how to improve their "team" structure. My quick postmortem on this past season is that I can't remember a less like-able BU team that was north of .500. Nothing against any of these guys individually, but the TEAM lacked personality. I know the popular narrative is that they were only looking out for themselves. Let's flip the script next season.

    BU Hockey: Need Chemistry
    I think that "Chemistry" at BU is a thing of the past. Its now the Kentucky basketball version of college hockey. High end players are there for a year or two and then off to greener pastures. They are playing for the name on the back and not the name on the front. They arent in it for the program they are in it for their own personal development. Its 24 individuals playing with the same jersey on. They dont bleed red and white, they arent a fabric of the community they are just tourists stopping by for a visit. Thats why they lack personality and are unlikeable - they dont even stay long enough to get to know them.

  13. #953
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    JFK didn't really elevate his game from his freshman year and you guys have said on here greenway wasn't great/consistent down the stretch. Things get tougher when you lose a special player like keller even if you have a lot of good players.
    Sadly I have to agree with both of these guys. It would be nice to expect a breakout year but that might require some coaching skills which seem to be in short supply currently.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  14. #954
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    255

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    John MacLeod played every game this year that he was healthy...talk about an inaccuracy
    yes- this year- Last year he was benched many games mainly for taking too many penalties and mistakes
    Played every game this year because his game was noticeably improved

  15. #955
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    yes- this year- Last year he was benched many games mainly for taking too many penalties and mistakes
    Played every game this year because his game was noticeably improved
    Not one NHL draft pick on defense missed one game due to anything but being injured or at the WJC...not once for performance and if you think they all played so great every game that they never should have missed a game due to performance then you have your head up your *** If you would like to know why he missed games last year I can tell you but it wasn't because DQ was being honorable and playing the best players..I love you clowns who think you know what's going on because your read the DFP or Twitter
    Last edited by BUtogether; 03-30-2017 at 08:41 AM.

  16. #956
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    6,889

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    Not one NHL draft pick on defense missed one game due to anything but being injured or at the WJC...not once for performance and if you think they all played so great every game that they never should have missed a game due to performance then you have your head up your ***
    Did you even read his post? The season before this one MacLeod was firmly in Quinn's doghouse and was a healthy scratch many games. The same with Bellows this season. I realize you are pushing an agenda, but it is not one supported by facts.

  17. #957
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Did you even read his post? The season before this one MacLeod was firmly in Quinn's doghouse and was a healthy scratch many games. The same with Bellows this season. I realize you are pushing an agenda, but it is not one supported by facts.
    Oh I read it...did you read what I said...neither being in the doghouse had to do with performance ..and quite frankly his improved play was a Quinn rehab agenda through the media...his play was not much different than last year other than a couple goals...he was basically the same until the last few games..his upside is limited...and what exact facts are you quoting?..Bellows?..what a gong show....and the other 5 D were so awesome they never could have used a night off?...please
    Last edited by BUtogether; 03-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.

  18. #958
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,187

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    I got 12+ pages behind on this thread since I hadn't been here in a little while. Caught up by skipping over Chickod and BUTogether's post and reading the rest. Was a surprisingly quick and enjoyable read.

  19. #959
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    6,889

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    If calling BU a very good team is pessimistic, guilty as charged! I just think when you lose such a special player like keller it leaves a mark. He makes everyone around him better.
    Very good and special can mean different things to different people. BC was very good to me and missed the NCAAs. The rest of your post is what I was referring to.

    This would be my projected lines if Quinn's prediction holds true (which I am not quite ready to fully subscribe to quite yet.)

    Greenway-JFK-Harper
    Bellows-Bowers-Carpenter
    Crone-Tkachuk-Olsson
    Curry-Cockerill-Cloonan

    Bench:
    Phelps
    Amonte
    Chabot
    Andren
    McDermott

    A much deeper team and stronger than this year's team IMO.

  20. #960
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    6,889

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    Bellows?..what a gong show
    Obviously disappointing. Still was the 6th highest scoring and PPG on BU this year. Was a healthy scratch for 4 games and played on the 3rd line the second half of the season. Still was the #6 forward.

    Do you think he should have been benched more? Who would you put in his place?

    Cloonan played every game this year besides when he was injured. He had 0 goals. Was not drafted. Patrick Curry played every game this season. Less production than Bellows. Not drafted. By your reasoning Quinn would have benched them long ago because they don't have the "NHL draft pick" status. Yet Quinn instead benched a "NHL draft pick" that had more production than Cloonan and Curry.

    Again, what actually happens on the team doesn't fit the agenda you're pushing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •