Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 1001

Thread: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

  1. #821
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
    SB Nation now reporting Keller has signed with the Coyotes. Good luck, Clayton. Let's remember that beyond his on-ice contributions, he helped Quinn convince Oettinger and Krys to commit to BU.
    http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017...ie-of-the-year
    I doubt krys needed much convincing

  2. #822
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    516

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    This is what I worry about as well. I read the quote from the Duluth players saying "This is why we came back" (after losing two straight regional finals - to BU and BC no less). Are those days gone? Yes, I'm proud of what the team did, but are we ever going to get to that point where there is enough continuity to develop a true team chemistry and leadership to get us past the regionals? Although the "philosophy" of recruiting so many "high end" players will "always" keep us "competitive," we need MORE than that to go all the way. Remember, take away the '09 team (which embodied exactly what I have been talking about - a perfect combination of older leadership and high-end talent), BU has won the whole thing ONCE in the last 22 years.

    And I'm not BLAMING anyone. Unfortunately, I think this is the way it is today. There doesn't seem to be any value in a group of people working together to achieve something anymore...just the "I want to get mine" immediate gratification mentality. You can't tell me that guys like Boeser from North Dakota, for example, don't have their pro careers ALWAYS in their minds. I mean, the guy scored a goal in the NHL less than 24 hours after the loss to BU. How can one focus on the task at hand when he is always thinking about tomorrow? Nobody seems to live in the present anymore and the attention spans are miniscule. And I think this explains in part the inconsistent play. BU was able to focus for a couple of big games this weekend, but for the most part all season, they were "MIA" for long stretches in almost every game. In the majority of instances they were able to overcome this with their talent, but that only works for so long. Everyone wants to "rush" through their life and do everything immediately. I believe that the constant exposure to everything that is going on instantaneously, via technology, has distorted people's sense of reality. As I said yesterday, "What's the rush?" The contract will be there tomorrow. And if the argument is "What if I suffer a career-ending injury or something and didn't take the money when I had the chance?" my response is "So???? Does your life end? That's one of the reasons you are going to college, isn't it? To prepare yourself for LIFE."

    Maybe it's the lack of good parenting. Of course, team representatives, agents, etc are going to expound upon the "advantages" of leaving school early, but that's because it benefits THEM. Who is looking out for the athlete? Sorry to say, that's the parents' responsibility, but they get seduced and enticed also.

    I just hope we don't see season after season of "near misses" because nobody stays around to develop a TEAM long enough.
    Lot of good observations here Look at the teams that have won the national championship in this decade. BC had a good mix of talented players and players who stayed in 2010 and 2012. Duluth, Yale, Union and Providence were all loaded with juniors and seniors. Look at North Dakota last season with upperclassmen like Caggiula, Chyzk, Stecher, LaDue. Most of the juniors left, as did sophomore Nick Schmaltz, and that's the difference between a national championship and a first round exit.

    I posted on Twitter about speculated BU departures, mostly sophomores. I dont follow the East too much, but my feeling is if you aren't averaging a least a point a game in college playing teams like Sacred Heart and Massachusetts, you have no business looking to jump to the NHL.

    The other thing is, unless you are a player like Jack Eichel, what is the point of jumping to the pros if you are going to spend a lot of time riding buses in the AHL or ECHL? Look at Kyle Turris. He played one year at Wisconsin, jumped, and ended up spending years in the minors. Kyle Connor has been playing in the AHL this year. Most of the players who leave early never go anywhere. For every Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie, Tyler Bozek, there are mostly players who end up in the minors. Look at this list from last year; how many are playing on NHL rosters? There's Jake Guentzel. Fasching and Nelson have bounced around most of this season, even if they are currently with Buffalo. LaDue has made it with LA the last couple of months. Denver's Moore and Heinen are both in the AHL right now; I shudder to think how good Denver would be if those two had stayed. Guentzel and Schmaltz are the only two on that list I see who have played regularly in the NHL this season.

    http://www.uscho.com/pro-signings-2016/
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

    "Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

    Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

  3. #823
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,782

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I doubt krys needed much convincing
    Well he certainly took a lot more time than most BU fans were expecting...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  4. #824
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,782

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    I think we need to keep in mind that landing a forward with such high talent as Eichel and Keller has been rare (in terms of NHL draft# and expectations). Defense and goalies are generally going to need more time than forwards to adapt. So the only legit one and done threat in my mind are forwards (Dipietro being a rare exception, and would not have left after one year if the draft rules had changed earlier). These two guys, along with Colin Wilson, are the best forwards (again, in terms of NHL draft/potential) that BU has recruited in a long time, perhaps ever. All the guys coming in next year are likely to be here at least two years, probably more. Even Bowers is slipping to a late first rounder in the most recent mock drafts, and it sounds like his game is an "all-around" game, he's not projected to be an offensive dynamo. I know Jake Wise at one point was projected as a top 5 Pick, but I think he has slipped.

    I guess my main point is that getting all those first rounders was nice, but there really aren't any legit NHLers (for next season) among the other freshmen, the rest of the flight risks are Sophomores and Juniors. That puts them in the same camp as Shattenkirk, Cohen, Bonino, Amonte, McEachern, Grier, etc. So maybe things haven't changed as much as we are making this out to be.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  5. #825
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,876

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arafel View Post
    I posted on Twitter about speculated BU departures, mostly sophomores. I dont follow the East too much, but my feeling is if you aren't averaging a least a point a game in college playing teams like Sacred Heart and Massachusetts, you have no business looking to jump to the NHL.
    this is nuts. a guy like connor sheary never averaged a point/game playing FOR massachusetts and he is doing quite well, no?

    hockey is more than scoring. even scoring 3 goals in 4 periods.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  6. #826
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,876

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    ....I guess my main point is that getting all those first rounders was nice, but there really aren't any legit NHLers (for next season) among the other freshmen, the rest of the flight risks are Sophomores and Juniors. That puts them in the same camp as Shattenkirk, Cohen, Bonino, Amonte, McEachern, Grier, etc. So maybe things haven't changed as much as we are making this out to be.
    kids have always left early. tkachuk was here for a season. and back then we got guys because they wanted to play in the olympics. if it wasn't for that, probably keith, and scott young, and mceachern go pro at 18.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  7. #827
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,876

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbles View Post
    Based on no evidence whatsover but I also feel like McAvoy leaving isn't an entirely foregone conclusion. Getting JFK back would be huge - next year could really be a breakout year for him as he should be far and away our top F.
    b's need defensemen help. they also need entry contract bodies. plus if charlie is playin against 21 yo freshman while being a 21 yo junior at bu he is probably not going to improve as much as he will against bigger, more physical fwd in the ahl. b's have a need there so it wouldn't be surprising to see him jump.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  8. #828
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    We have our significant differences in opinion on things, but it's clear you have some level of connection to the sport so I'll ask, are these your educated guesses or is this based on information you've heard?
    And although this isn't a popular opinion but I believe it would be best for BU and Charlie if he left...he has regressed at BU and really need to be reigned in..I also believe the defense will be more cohesive and add more offense with puck movers in the line up and Fabbro as your QB on the PP

  9. #829
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    this is nuts. a guy like connor sheary never averaged a point/game playing FOR massachusetts and he is doing quite well, no?

    hockey is more than scoring. even scoring 3 goals in 4 periods.
    Why don't you just give it up..taking shots at Switzer doesn't make McEvoy any better and referring to yourself in the 3rd person doesn't mean you know anything...Mookie like hot dogs..Mookie likes Jasmine ...what a toolbox...Switzer is not a defensive liability and he does add offense...so go back under your bridge...hockey is about scoring more goals than the other team which is why BU was basically a .500 team when the WJC ended and that superstar Bellows was back in the lineup

  10. #830
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,876

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And although this isn't a popular opinion but I believe it would be best for BU and Charlie if he left...he has regressed at BU and really need to be reigned in..I also believe the defense will be more cohesive and add more offense with puck movers in the line up and Fabbro as your QB on the PP
    first team hockey east.... mkay
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  11. #831
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,200
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Posted to another hockey page, which one of you BU(I'd guess BC fan but) fans made this?
    https://greatestcollegehockeyteamofalltime.com/
    ha, ha.. is that michael j .. good stuff.

  12. #832
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Well he certainly took a lot more time than most BU fans were expecting...
    Lots of hand ringing for 9 points and sub par defense for the majority of the season...had a nice game yesterday and do believe he will improve as he gets stronger..definitely a 3 or 4 year guy

  13. #833
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36,876

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    Why don't you just give it up..taking shots at Switzer doesn't make McEvoy any better and referring to yourself in the 3rd person doesn't mean you know anything...Mookie like hot dogs..Mookie likes Jasmine ...what a toolbox...Switzer is not a defensive liability and he does add offense...so go back under your bridge...hockey is about scoring more goals than the other team which is why BU was basically a .500 team when the WJC ended and that superstar Bellows was back in the lineup
    shots are taken at you. not your ex-wife's and improved husband's kid.

    the person taking shots at kids is you.
    go look in the mirror. then break it and cut your wrists.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  14. #834
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    first team hockey east.... mkay
    The best part is you have been ripping him all year and now you are his biggest fan...first team hockey east is laughable and a completely political move...had to have a BU player on the first team and since the two best players were on the all rookie team the coaches threw his surrogate father DQ a bone....he's a talented kid...but at this point is just a puck chaser and puck lugger....not enough finish to make up for the fact he's always out of position...if Boston can reign him in and he's coachable he might someday be a good defenseman...it not happening here

  15. #835
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    shots are taken at you. not your ex-wife's and improved husband's kid.

    the person taking shots at kids is you.
    go look in the mirror. then break it and cut your wrists.
    I guess flat footed Charlie is a compliment in Nookieland...as for the rest of your babble I have zero clue *** you are talking about as usual.. My wife will be happy to learn she is now an ex and he's an improvement...Mookie like cookies...Mookie like butterflies...what a wizard
    Last edited by BUtogether; 03-26-2017 at 04:29 PM.

  16. #836
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,200
    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    I guess flat footed Charlie is a compliment in Nookieland...as for the rest of your babble I have zero clue *** you are talking about as usual.. My wife will be happy to learn she is now an ex and he's an improvement...Mookie like cookies...Mookie like butterflies...what a wizard
    .. dude, we all having some fun here.
    (least i think we are.. ..) chill out.

  17. #837
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    506

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    I agree on the lack of veteran leadership. Maybe somebody made this point already but it's worth noting that the class recruited four years ago that is graduating this year was one of the weakest in recent memory. It's not a bad thing to recruit the Kellers and Eichels of this world (by all accounts, Eichel was a team guy who cared about winning) as long as Quinn is also recruiting kids who will be staying for 3 or 4 years. That didn't work out for this year's team but I'd be surprised if what happened with this year's group happens again anytime soon.
    Completely unrelated point: Maybe it's just me but I think they wear the throwback jerseys way too often. What's the matter with the regular ones?

  18. #838
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,068

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Koharski is doing the Denver game...

  19. #839
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,804

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by srsterrier View Post
    I agree on the lack of veteran leadership. Maybe somebody made this point already but it's worth noting that the class recruited four years ago that is graduating this year was one of the weakest in recent memory. It's not a bad thing to recruit the Kellers and Eichels of this world (by all accounts, Eichel was a team guy who cared about winning) as long as Quinn is also recruiting kids who will be staying for 3 or 4 years. That didn't work out for this year's team but I'd be surprised if what happened with this year's group happens again anytime soon.
    Completely unrelated point: Maybe it's just me but I think they wear the throwback jerseys way too often. What's the matter with the regular ones?
    I agree on needing as many of the three and four year guys as you do the Kellers and Eichels. That's one of the reasons the progression next year of Olsson, Phelps, Chabot, and Curry to name a few will be vital to how successful the team is. These guys shouldn't have to be counted on to lug the majority of the offensive burden, but to be solid contributors on both ends of the ice, skate hard, defend well, kill penalties, bring energy, and be able to be on the ice in tournament scenarios and not be a liability.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  20. #840
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    275

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I agree on needing as many of the three and four year guys as you do the Kellers and Eichels. That's one of the reasons the progression next year of Olsson, Phelps, Chabot, and Curry to name a few will be vital to how successful the team is. These guys shouldn't have to be counted on to lug the majority of the offensive burden, but to be solid contributors on both ends of the ice, skate hard, defend well, kill penalties, bring energy, and be able to be on the ice in tournament scenarios and not be a liability.
    Agree with this- What we were lacking this year was secondary scoring- Haven't seen in past years big jumps from underclassmen from year to year. when you watch other teams you see big improvements- Lowell- Northeastern would be examples

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •