Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 1001

Thread: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

  1. #201
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,673

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Ah, how could I forget that?? defkit made that trip. He needs to reminisce here about it.
    And I only went out for Game 3!! I tried my hardest to go of the whole series but couldn't find a ride. Then after the Game 2 win, I was literally in the elevator quad in Claflin, waiting for the elevator when I heard my phone ring. Debated whether to go back in my room to answer it. I did, and it was some guys hoping to rent a car. "If we get on the road by 1:00am, we can be in Lansing by Puck Drop!! Are you in?" 15 hours later, outside Munn, the Spartan fans were applauding our commitment, but assured us that there was no way their #1 ranked team was going to lose two in a row, with the FF being in nearby Detroit. Tony Amonte and company thought otherwise.

    Thanks, Scarlet.
    Last edited by defkit; 03-20-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  2. #202
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,243

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Saw on the Terrier Hockey Instagram that Nik Olsson was on the ice practicing.
    He wore the blue non-contact practice sweater, but it's very encouraging that he's back on the ice. If they pull off #WhyNotBU this weekend and assuming his recovery is full, would love to see him return to the lineup in 2+ weeks.

    BU Hockey: Win 2 for Nik

  3. #203
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,311

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    And I only went out for Game 3!! I tried my hardest to go of the whole series but couldn't find a ride. Then after the Game 2 win, I was literally in the elevator quad in Claflin, waiting for the elevator when I heard my phone ring. Debated whether to go back in my room to answer it. I did, and it was some guys hoping to rent a car. "If we get on the road by 1:00am, we can be in Lansing by Puck Drop!! Are you in?" 15 hours later, outside Munn, the Spartan fans were applauding our commitment, but assured us that there was no way their #1 ranked team was going to lose two in a row, with the FF being in nearby Detroit. Tony Amonte and company thought otherwise.

    Thanks, Scarlet.
    Game 2 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvRa75QXaU
    Game 3 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaAkEHFksnU

  4. #204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    433

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
    So BU moves up a notch to #6 in both polls, leapfrogging Union. Surprising.
    BU also beat Union head-to-head, without seven players who were at the World Juniors.

  5. #205
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
    The grit and determination of that team was unbelievable. Maybe they should show some of these clips to the boys before the game Friday! Seriously...that performance is what pride is all about.

    Those 150 fans made more noise than 1000 do today (well, you knew THAT was coming)

  6. #206
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    BU also beat Union head-to-head, without seven players who were at the World Juniors.
    That can't be possible...they won a game without McAvoy?...they also won 3 in a row with both Diffley and Switzer playing D....and with Bellows in the stands...and you wonder why there is a motivation problem on this team?

  7. #207
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    501
    I stayed on campus for the MSU series that weekend. They showed the first two games on a big screen at the GSU. For some reason, Game 3 was shown at the Case gym. I don't recall how many were there, but when BU scored the 5th goal, the gym felt like it was shaking.

  8. #208
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    28,653

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    And I only went out for Game 3!! I tried my hardest to go of the whole series but couldn't find a ride. Then after the Game 2 win, I was literally in the elevator quad in Claflin, waiting for the elevator when I heard my phone ring. Debated whether to go back in my room to answer it. I did, and it was some guys hoping to rent a car.
    A sentence kids today would not understand. I thought you went out after Game 1. I remember watching the game in the GSU that Friday night, seeing Roachman at the back, shaking his head. My friend, who was the Asst. Sports marketing Director at the time told me she got a call at 4am Saturday from him telling her a bunch of guys were on the road heading out there and could she help them get tickets. She called Larry Fudge (remember Larry Fudge??) and he got them tickets. Did I misremember that was just for Game 3 or were you part of a second group of fans that went out there?

  9. #209
    Just Browsing...
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Bostonish
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    That can't be possible...they won a game without McAvoy?...they also won 3 in a row with both Diffley and Switzer playing D....and with Bellows in the stands...and you wonder why there is a motivation problem on this team?
    Yeah, yeah we get it. You want your son to play.

  10. #210
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35,179

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    . I remember watching the game in the GSU that Friday night, seeing Roachman at the back, shaking his head.
    gimme a T!!!!
    gimme an E!!!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  11. #211
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,341

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Saw on the Terrier Hockey Instagram that Nik Olsson was on the ice practicing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    He wore the blue non-contact practice sweater, but it's very encouraging that he's back on the ice. If they pull off #WhyNotBU this weekend and assuming his recovery is full, would love to see him return to the lineup in 2+ weeks.

    BU Hockey: Win 2 for Nik
    Wow, that is pretty crazy. I thought he was having surgery? With his injury history, is it wise for him to rush back?

  12. #212
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,341

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    Bellows was benched for insubordination not his crappy play..
    Do you have anything to back up this statement? Because I haven't heard anything like this, and no one I had ever talked to mentioned anything like this.

  13. #213
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,673

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    A sentence kids today would not understand. I thought you went out after Game 1. I remember watching the game in the GSU that Friday night, seeing Roachman at the back, shaking his head. My friend, who was the Asst. Sports marketing Director at the time told me she got a call at 4am Saturday from him telling her a bunch of guys were on the road heading out there and could she help them get tickets. She called Larry Fudge (remember Larry Fudge??) and he got them tickets. Did I misremember that was just for Game 3 or were you part of a second group of fans that went out there?
    Not sure if another group went out for Games 2 & 3 (now THAT would take some real guts given how Game 1 went). I watched Game 1 at the GSU too. Then somehow was able to get Game 2 on the TV in my dorm room, so watched it by myself. Once I got the call, I might have had to clear my schedule (I was a student manager at the Itza Pizza snack bar at West Campus), but then we ended up coming together at - what was the name of that place that had opened up near Packard's Corner - they had some good BU hockey photos on the walls.

    I honestly don't remember how we ended up with tickets - it might have been through Larry. I think we heard there would be SRO going on sale, so we wanted to get there in time to get in line.

    We chanted "Georgia Tech" quite a bit during the game, since their B-Ball team had been upset by the Yellow Jackets. The locals were not amused. Coming back from down 3-1 to win 5-3 was SO rewarding.

    After the game, we went back to the hotel where everyone was staying, just long enough to celebrate with the team when they arrived, and to ask Larry to make sure we wouldn't lose out on FF tickets, in case they were going to be going on sale Monday morning. Then we drove 15 hours home...and I got a speeding ticket in NY :-(. Then made almost the exact same trip to Detroit on the fan buses the next weekend.

    Good times...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  14. #214
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,673

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    gimme a T!!!!
    gimme an E!!!
    The original! Then Brian (I forget his last name) took over, right?
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  15. #215
    The social ramble ain't restful
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Posts
    1,775

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    The original! Then Brian (I forget his last name) took over, right?
    Wasn't he called The Ogre?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

  16. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Wasn't he called The Ogre?
    I'm not getting this because I'm in the wrong frame of reference. Heck, when I was a student we still had the guy playing the ORGAN in the top corner of Walter Brown (by the balcony entrance)!!!

  17. #217
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    28,653

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    A sentence kids today would not understand. I thought you went out after Game 1. I remember watching the game in the GSU that Friday night, seeing Roachman at the back, shaking his head. My friend, who was the Asst. Sports marketing Director at the time told me she got a call at 4am Saturday from him telling her a bunch of guys were on the road heading out there and could she help them get tickets. She called Larry Fudge (remember Larry Fudge??) and he got them tickets. Did I misremember that was just for Game 3 or were you part of a second group of fans that went out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    The original! Then Brian (I forget his last name) took over, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Wasn't he called The Ogre?
    Roachman did it for one year, then the Ogre took it over for two.

  18. #218
    The social ramble ain't restful
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Posts
    1,775

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    I'm not getting this because I'm in the wrong frame of reference. Heck, when I was a student we still had the guy playing the ORGAN in the top corner of Walter Brown (by the balcony entrance)!!!
    The Ogre was Sasquatch's predecessor. He would lead the crowd in a TERRIERS chant, twisting his body into the shape of each letter during the chant.

    I remember the guy playing the organ. Either he was an awful organist, or the acoustics were bad. Also, he'd only play the organ a couple of times during the game at odd, unpredictable moments.
    Last edited by buoldtimer; 03-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

  19. #219
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,728

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Last 10 games:

    BU 5-4-1 incl. against 6 top-15 ranked teams, plus 2 against Northeastern that was playing like a ranked team in the second half.
    ND 6-1 against 4 top-15 ranked teams, plus 2 against #20 Omaha.
    Something's not adding up here

    They're 6-4 with two losses at WMU, home to Omaha, and Duluth in the NCHC final. The shutout win over DU in the NCHC semi is their first win over a good team (or one who made the tournament) since Dec. 31 at Union. On the season, UND is 3-11-2 against teams that made the NCAA Tournament. BU is 5-5-1.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-21-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  20. #220
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    The Ogre was Sasquatch's predecessor. He would lead the crowd in a TERRIERS chant, twisting his body into the shape of each letter during the chant.

    I remember the guy playing the organ. Either he was an awful organist, or the acoustics were bad. Also, he'd only play the organ a couple of times during the game at odd, unpredictable moments.
    Ha ha! That's true..on both counts. The acoustics WERE bad (well, it depends what you mean by "bad" - that low metal roof was GREAT for crowd noise, but not good for music or the PA system). I was just there a couple of weeks ago for the Women's Hockey East (came downstairs after the BU basketball playoff game) and it was LOUD when the winning goal was scored (and there weren't more than a couple of hundred people there).

    Yes, Sasquatch (an attorney ) has been there forever. He's still there (with a little less chest hair). I won't mention his name in case we don't want to mention names here...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •