Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

I see that Arizona is scheduled to play @Washington Sat night.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Nate Leaman has a national title. So does Keith Allain. Norm Bazin is a better coach than both of them. Opinion, not fact. Obviously not talking historically here but I do think there's a strong case that he is currently the best coach in college hockey.

The guy took over a program that hadn't been in the NCAA tournament since '96. A program that never had back to back tourney appearances. A program that won FIVE games the season before he took over and he won 24 games and made the tournament with someone else's players. Win totals:

Three league championships and five straight league championship game appearances. Yes, he needs to win a national title to boost his resume even more but without it I think he still might be the best coach in college.

Comment

If you are BU fan and you rather have Quinn over Norm Bazin you are in denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
          That might be true.

However, we do have Quinn and not Bazin. And the likelihood of us having Bazin is miniscule to non-existent. So why don't we just **** about it?

Maybe we could discuss the small game our team has coming up. I, for one, have become more optimistic as we get closer.
          Terrible Terriers 5 - Best-ever SooHawks 3
          Go BU!

Comment

if BU scores 5 goals, i'll eat my hat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              personally 8 think BU is porked. If they continue this trend of grabbing superstud they will continue this process of 2 years and done leaving the team without the glaring leadership it currently is missing. BU now is just a stepping stone and a short stop on the players path to a higher level. It's good for the player but not promising for the program as a whole. Teams full of blue chip young freshman and sophomores don't get you far as this year has shown thus far.
              Using the 2009 team as a model, BU had lots of players who stuck for three or four years instead of one or two. Gilroy, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Yip, McCarthy, Gryba, Strait, Cohen, Warsofsky...all played three or more years at BU and still made the NHL. And Popko, Lawrence, Connolly, and Higgins (****, that team was loaded!) were four year players who were also very productive. Colin Wilson was just gravy in those circumstances. Now BU is getting, ostensibly, 3, 4, or more Wilsons at the same time. They have no Gilroy/McCarthy as models and the Wilsons will be gone after one or two years. I think of the 2009 BU team like recent UML teams, but BU had a cherry on top.

So, imo, players like Carpenter, Olson, Harper, Curry, maybe a couple others, are vital to sustained success. They really need stick for four productive years to form the backbone of the team so as the Coyles, Eichels, Kellers, Bowers? blow through the program, it's not a crippling departure.
              Go BU!

Comment

Should be a tough game and tough weekend. UMD is world class and UND is white hot. Good luck (in your first game)!
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Someone with time can post the ages for the 2017 freshman class. Obviously Tkachuk, Farrance and Cockerill are young. Is Amonte the same age? I feel like Crone is a little older - wasn't he originally going to come in last year? Bowers is draft eligible this year, so not old.
                  By older players, I didn't mean older incoming freshmen. I meant 18 year old freshmen who become 21 year seniors, 20 year old juniors, etc. Once Quinn has had a chance to recruit a team full of his recruits, I am hoping he will have balanced classes, not relying so heavily on freshmen and sophomores, and allow them to use their skills instead of playing in such a lame, restrictive offense. Note that I am not in chickod's school of thought, thinking that all of our players leave early for the NHL under Quinn ... since only Eichel has done that.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                    3 goals on 12 shots and he has the highest miss% on the team?....what is he missing the goalie or the other teams shin pads? So he has played 5 games and one period on defense and has 4 points but if he doesn't score every game he's no good but the guy with 4 goals in 38 games is an offensive defenseman...and the other guy with 10 points in 38 games is highly skilled ...I give up you win...you have convinced me..can't see it any other way but the way you see...you are a true hockey genius and master statistician...can't wait to hear how many people were at the 1968 alumni game....did you ever figure out how many goals BU scores a game when Switzer and Diffley both play D or what BU's record is when they both play D?...because clearly you can't win with them in the line up right?
                    That is 12 shot attempts, not 12 shots, but meaningless stats, so what does it matter? I also have never said Switzer is no good, but I don't think he is one of BU's top 6 defensemen this season. I also don't think that you can rate defensemen just by their offense, despite your constant claims otherwise. There was no 1968 Alumni game, so that would make the attendance 0. As you've asked about BU goals and wins with Switzer and Diffley both at defense so many times I would think you already know the answer, so why don't you tell us? Also, I never said that BU can't win with Switzer or Diffley in the lineup. However, I don't think either is one of the top 6 defensemen on the team this season. By the way, BU has also won a few games without them in the lineup.

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                    FYI....blocked shots and missed shots are counted seperately....so the top 6 aren't getting shots to the net 56 % of the time not 21.5%...meaningless stat anyway because sometimes the smart play is to miss the net on purpose for a redirect or to avoid a blocked shot...you really don't know anything about hockey do you?....you really should stick to counting attendance or tracking wins and losses it's more your speed
                    Of course that's not what I said, but you're correct (more or less as the percentage is actually 53.5%). Sitwiter's shot attempts aren't getting to the net 50% of the time and with such a small sample that is within one missed/blocked shot of BU's top 6 defensemen. But of course it's a meaningless stat since you have said so. And you're correct, I know nothing about hockey at all...how could I as I don't agree with you? By the way, I am doing some more counting attendance, thanks.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      Got a point here.

Heck, mookie just heard GQ crying that of the men's sports, hockey ranked 6 out of 8 in donor contributions

Maybe the genius should have suffered through friends of hockey instead of letting his buddy fold that into terrior pride
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                        Using the 2009 team as a model, BU had lots of players who stuck for three or four years instead of one or two. Gilroy, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Yip, McCarthy, Gryba, Strait, Cohen, Warsofsky...all played three or more years at BU and still made the NHL. And Popko, Lawrence, Connolly, and Higgins (****, that team was loaded!) were four year players who were also very productive. Colin Wilson was just gravy in those circumstances. Now BU is getting, ostensibly, 3, 4, or more Wilsons at the same time. They have no Gilroy/McCarthy as models and the Wilsons will be gone after one or two years. I think of the 2009 BU team like recent UML teams, but BU had a cherry on top.

So, imo, players like Carpenter, Olson, Harper, Curry, maybe a couple others, are vital to sustained success. They really need stick for four productive years to form the backbone of the team so as the Coyles, Eichels, Kellers, Bowers? blow through the program, it's not a crippling departure.
                        +1,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                          Note that I am not in chickod's school of thought, thinking that all of our players leave early for the NHL under Quinn ... since only Eichel has done that.
                          Not what I said. See RoughEmUp's post above. He just expressed it more succinctly than I did. I have referenced the '09 team several times as a model when I first brought this up months ago.

Comment

Don't mind comparing Quinn to Bazin because its proof Quinn needs to step up his game. Not in recruiting but in coaching. I also think its absurd to equate trying to get kids to BU/BC/Michigan vs Lowell. Bazin's at a disadvantage every year compared to his HE peers who don't have fossilized coaches (Umile).

Also for my money York's still the best coach in college hockey despite the funny glasses. That BC team was giving away a lot in terms of talent vs both BU and Lowell in the tournament, and they outplayed BU most of the game and kept the Lowell game within a puncher's chance of winning.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Not what I said. See RoughEmUp's post above. He just expressed it more succinctly than I did. I have referenced the '09 team several times as a model when I first brought this up months ago.
                              First, you have said that. But the rest of this statement proves my point. You say he should be using '09 as a model - since only one player has left early for the NHL under Quinn, how do you know there is a need to use anything as a model? How do you know Quinn isn't doing just fine building his team? He has had two of his own recruiting classes come in, and part of a third (current juniors). The concern, as I have said, is not team-building. It is what he does with his team once he has it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Nate Leaman has a national title. So does Keith Allain. Norm Bazin is a better coach than both of them. Opinion, not fact. Obviously not talking historically here but I do think there's a strong case that he is currently the best coach in college hockey.

The guy took over a program that hadn't been in the NCAA tournament since '96. A program that never had back to back tourney appearances. A program that won FIVE games the season before he took over and he won 24 games and made the tournament with someone else's players. Win totals:

Three league championships and five straight league championship game appearances. Yes, he needs to win a national title to boost his resume even more but without it I think he still might be the best coach in college.

so that is what satisfies you now? Somehow I think with exact same record and no national titles you'd still be talking **** about Quinn. 3 tournaments in a row for BU- better than we have had in some time. talk to me when Norm wins a title. until then he's not even Marv Levy, who at least got to the ultimate game 4 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X