Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Tough way to end an exciting weekend of hockey.
    - A completely different team tonight than last night. Save for a short stretch in the 2nd period, this team looked like they had a game plan, could get the puck out of the zone, and were able to apply offensive pressure throughout. I don't know how much of the difference was us versus our opponent, versus the crowd.
    - A real shame to have to lose on a PPG. But that call has to be made. Bobo clearly was just swiping for the puck, didn't intend to trip the guy down. I think if it didn't turn into an immediate odd man rush for BU, it wouldn't have been called. Then the announcers jinxed us by noting once again how many straight we had killed off.
    - That save on JFK early on was ridiculous. I already had my arms in the air to celebrate.
    - Good luck to the seniors. Somerby elected to come back to have a better result than last year. While we fell one win short of the FF (my measure of "Elite" teams), we did win the first NCAA tourney game out west since 1990, under some very tough conditions. Roberto had a solid season.
    - It seems pretty clear that Keller is moving on. Of all the "potentials" I'm most hopeful that JFK will come back. I love his game, and he is by no means a shoe in to play in Boston. I hope he prefers another year at BU to a year in Providence. It would be great if Greenway and Hickey come back too. I'm guessing Hickey is more likely to leave, given that he is a Junior. And the Wild already signed Kunin. Maybe they'll be less likely to put the pressure on Jordan to sign now.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Only one "real" Hockey East team left in the tournament. Unfortunately for Lowell, they are going to run into Denver (if they get by ND), who I think is CLEARLY the best team in the country.
      i dont think anyone is clearly better than H......................then AF almost catches them. Your guys were great and showed a lot of balls almost pulling that off out there. Be proud

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        i dont think anyone is clearly better than H......................then AF almost catches them. Your guys were great and showed a lot of balls almost pulling that off out there. Be proud
        Thanks. Tough one to lose but the breaks even out...just a little sooner than we were expecting!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Only one "real" Hockey East team left in the tournament. Unfortunately for Lowell, they are going to run into Denver (if they get by ND), who I think is CLEARLY the best team in the country.
          We'll take one last crack at Fake Hockey East, don't want them representing league in Frozen Four. Regarding Denver, who knows. Maybe Ped State will pull a shocker tomorrow and take them out (did anyone think they'd drop 10 on Union today?). If Lowell ends up meeting Denver, they have an amazing ability to neutralize other teams' strengths so we'll just have to see. Have to get past tomorrow first.

But we'll leave you with this - Since joining Hockey East four years ago, Notre Dame is 2-9-2 against Lowell. UML has outscored ND 36-18 in those games.
          Last edited by riverchief1; 03-25-2017, 10:18 PM.
          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Duluth's game winner made me recall another goal where a shot essentially disabled a d-man and led to a goal. In the 2015 NCAA semi, NoDak's third goal came after a shot put Hickey on the ice. Not the same finish, but similar result--a goal. Fortunately BU had a two goal led at the time and Eichel finished things off.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40ZHgQ5bTY
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              If you guys watched that OT last night, ohio state skated circles around duluth and hit a post. Miska also made a ridiculous stick save on someone. That and how UND was so close to winning, crazy how these games go.
              This bracket truly lived up to the "bracket of death" moniker.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                Duluth's game winner made me recall another goal where a shot essentially disabled a d-man and led to a goal. In the 2015 NCAA semi, NoDak's third goal came after a shot put Hickey on the ice. Not the same finish, but similar result--a goal. Fortunately BU had a two goal led at the time and Eichel finished things off.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40ZHgQ5bTY
                The minute that shot hit Doyle and ricocheted back out to the same UMD player who could shoot again I thought of that play and knew that was their golden opportunity. If we get out of that and kill the penalty we're in the driver's seat. Thems the breaks.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Ha i just meant how you used to get on OC for wrap around type goals, not covering post quickly enough etc
                  ah ha.... that dropped can of corn kinda trumps all those others
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Ha i just meant how you used to get on OC for wrap around type goals, not covering post quickly enough etc
                    I don't remember OC notoriously having trouble moving laterally, though that might be shaded by his puck handling issues. Jake certainly hasn't had issues moving laterally this year and his mistake wasn't not hustling to cover the far post but the gamble to make a play on the puck when the UMD forward came by the side of the net.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Wow, not exactly reassuring comments from Dante Fabbro after the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                        What a doosh.
                        Yep and a Ped State fan. Not to be confused with the team from *Happy Valley".
                        Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                          Wow, not exactly reassuring comments from Dante Fabbro after the game.
                          Certainly had a past tense tone.
                          Go BU!

Comment

A much better effort yesterday which was nice to see. However, with all the top draft picks once again the only one who played like it was Keller. In the meantime JFK, Greenway and especially Carpenter all competed for the Casper the Friendly Ghost award, given to the player who's completely invisible on ice except when they're committing a stupid penalty (Greenway and Carpenter).

Also offense still sucks. Both goals were due to great individual efforts. Beyond that they're still taking low percentage shots, can't hit the net to save their lives, and are avoiding the front of the net like the Ebola Virus is in goal. I go back to the same things I used to say when Parker was here which is what the fuk do they work on in practice if this is STILL going on at the end of the year?

All in all a disappointing season.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Was rooting for you guys. Good season, Terriers. Till next year.
                              Lowell Forever
                              Forever Lowell

Comment

Tough way for BU to lose the game. The team had successfully killed off the previous 9 power plays over the two games. As brassbonanza mentioned, the wrap around goal really hurt. I was very surprised to see Oettinger over commit on that play as the player was going behind the net with the puck. He must have felt confident he could knock the puck free. Any time a team makes it to a regional and is only one game away from the Frozen Four, I feel is a good season. They played hard and should feel good about what they accomplished this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X