Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Good game last night, BU. UMD will be tough, but a lot of Hawks fans will probably be pulling for you, given the way UMD has chosen to play the Hawks recently.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      - So, that was the worst game I have seen BU play in a long time. I don't know if it was the game plan or ineptitude, but save for a few minutes overall, the ice was tilted so much that it really looked like an AHL team playing against a D-3 team. I mean the inability to get the puck out was mind boggling. And when we did get it out, it came right back in, again, and again, and again. At least half the time UND was in our zone, they looked like they had a power play. I'm still stunned we scored 4 goals. The shots on goal were more than 2-1, and I think they aren't as bad as how it really was.
      - What you can you say about Oettinger. He came up huge. Glad to see him get his mojo back.
      - I'll keep my thought about long-term coaching out for now, but for this game, our coaching was terrible. Guys late getting on the ice for changes, giving them brief man advantages. Timing of line changes in general almost came back to bite us. How does Greenway still take such a dumb penalty in OT, wiping out a PP? He's a sophomore for crying out loud. And just going back to the inability to break the puck out. What is that? Is that talent? I think it has to be the coaching. Then the fatigue set in, and Quinn finally had to start giving the 4th line a shift (never all at once).I think Chabot had no shifts in the 2nd 3rd, or OT periods. It's not sustainable. Given how bad the other guys looked out there, I don't understand why he wouldn't get the 4th liners out more.
      - I'm thrilled we won, but this was a stolen game if there every was one. I hope they can find some more magic tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.
      - Oh and I guess Sean and BUTogether need to redo all the stat arguments, now that McAvoy scored a goal.
      Agree 100%. Quinn's coaching is becoming a liability the team has to overcome to win every game.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by bu98 View Post
        2. video review on an offside 30 seconds before a GW Goal shouldn't be used to wave off a goal. I don't care if it benefits my team, that offside had zero impact on the potential GWG play.
        Well except for the fact that the play shouldn't have happened because the guy was offsides. Should they just let all offsides go and then only go back and call it if the offside player impacted the play? I never understood the argument that getting the call right is dumb if you have to go look at a replay to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
          Well except for the fact that the play shouldn't have happened because the guy was offsides. Should they just let all offsides go and then only go back and call it if the offside player impacted the play? I never understood the argument that getting the call right is dumb if you have to go look at a replay to do it.
          Because you're taking an objective, definitive rule and making it subjective. So let me ask you this? How far back do they go? If there are three passes between the "offside" and the goal? Five? Ten? If there are 15 seconds between the "offside" and the goal? 60? Five minutes (because theoretically the puck COULD stay in the zone the entire time and never come out)? When you (not "you" specifically) say, "When it 'immediately' leads to the goal," what's "immediately?" That's a SUBJECTIVE judgment. Let's just review the entire game.

Better yet, why bother with officials? Just let a computer call the game. Then you will know instantaneously if he was offside. You can have a "beep" like that cyclops thing they used to use in tennis a few years ago to call the lines.

Let's have a computer call balls and strikes, too. And by the way, if you think that is going to ELIMINATE controversy - think again. People are still going to argue. Heck, look at football. They'll show a replay twenty times and people will still argue "He was in." "No, he was out." "It's a catch." "No, it's NOT a catch." It's called JUDGMENT. That's the officials' job.

I'm dead serious. Officials are human. They make mistakes - just like PLAYERS. Get over it. It's part of life (at least the life I grew up knowing...I fear the Brave New World that's coming - or is already here).

Comment

Well, that was certainly exciting to watch, but I would think any objective BU fan would have to admit that BU was lucky to win a game in which they were outshot by that large a margin.

That said, Keller's play on the winning goal was SPECTACULAR. If he does turn out to be a one and done, this BC fan will not be sorry to see him go and not have to deal with several more games against him. Serious, serious skills.
            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
            BC - 12
            BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

For the record, BU is my 2nd favorite HEA team. With that out of the way, the Sioux deserved the win, agree with chickod on replay, if the hockey gods are paying attention BU is in a world of hurt. Go Terriers!
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                For the record, BU is my 2nd favorite HEA team. With that out of the way, the Sioux deserved the win, agree with chickod on replay, if the hockey gods are paying attention BU is in a world of hurt. Go Terriers!
                You're going today, right? (you live what, five miles from the arena?) I still remember your recommendation for Piccola Italia - one of the best I have been to!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Because you're taking an objective, definitive rule and making it subjective. So let me ask you this? How far back do they go? If there are three passes between the "offside" and the goal? Five? Ten? If there are 15 seconds between the "offside" and the goal? 60? Five minutes (because theoretically the puck COULD stay in the zone the entire time and never come out)? When you (not "you" specifically) say, "When it 'immediately' leads to the goal," what's "immediately?" That's a SUBJECTIVE judgment. Let's just review the entire game.

Better yet, why bother with officials? Just let a computer call the game. Then you will know instantaneously if he was offside. You can have a "beep" like that cyclops thing they used to use in tennis a few years ago to call the lines.

Let's have a computer call balls and strikes, too. And by the way, if you think that is going to ELIMINATE controversy - think again. People are still going to argue. Heck, look at football. They'll show a replay twenty times and people will still argue "He was in." "No, he was out." "It's a catch." "No, it's NOT a catch." It's called JUDGMENT. That's the officials' job.

I'm dead serious. Officials are human. They make mistakes - just like PLAYERS. Get over it. It's part of life (at least the life I grew up knowing...I fear the Brave New World that's coming - or is already here).
                  So a few years ago in an NCAA tournament game some team (can't remember- maybe CC?) scored but it went through some hole in the net and like 5 minutes of action went by until the next whistle. Then they reviewed the play and counted the goal. Is that too much time gone by? There is no natural stoppage otherwise in hockey like in football and basketball. The best you can do is wait for the next whistle. Offsides is offsides.( as it was yesterday) Doesn't matter if officials are human (and for the record I thought those refs yesterday were putrid- 3 calls on BU which were bogus/embellished/dives, and they couldn't tell what was real and what was not- the team shouldn't get punished for an incompetent official missing an offsides.

Funny you bring up balls and strikes- because computers DO A BETTER JOB WITH THAT! we watch the games in the playoffs with that box and everybody knows if its a ball or a strike except the one guy that matters the most- the home plate ump. You should watch the Real Sports HBO episode I think last October- they talked about this very subject. The reviewed every pitch for the last 3 years with the technology. Umps got I think 88% of all pitches right- however if you narrowed it down to the 4 inches on the outside of the box (2 inside the black and 2 outside the black) they missed 25%!! of the pitches. And the interesting thing was that 60% of the incorrect calls were for the home team- umps seemingly subconsciously being affected by the environment. Really interesting piece.
                  And I bet the 1985 Cardinals wished there was replay back then as they would have won the Series in 6 if not for an egregious call by Denkinger- so you need replay for these egregious calls. What you gonna say "well only overturn it when it is really bad?" get into the 21st century- I'm all for getting rid of the home plate ump (except to call plays at the plate) and get computerized. Ever Soccer now has goal line technology for goals. Stop whining about it. Yes Refs are human- so why make one team suffer a loss when they miss a call?

Comment

You're going today, right? (you live what, five miles from the arena?) I still remember your recommendation for Piccola Italia - one of the best I have been to!
                    Tickets purchased in November! 5.2 miles.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

because you're taking an objective, definitive rule and making it subjective. So let me ask you this? How far back do they go?
                      when they entered the zone
                      if there are three passes between the "offside" and the goal? Five? Ten?
                      how ever many there were during the play
                      if there are 15 seconds between the "offside" and the goal? 60? Five minutes (because theoretically the puck could stay in the zone the entire time and never come out)?
                      however long they were in the zone after entry
                      when you (not "you" specifically) say, "when it 'immediately' leads to the goal," what's "immediately?" that's a subjective judgment. Let's just review the entire game.
                      immediately means on that play after the zone entry
                      better yet, why bother with officials? Just let a computer call the game.
                      if only we could
                      then you will know instantaneously if he was offside.
                      agreed isn't that the point
                      Let's have a computer call balls and strikes, too.
                      they should
                      Heck, look at football. They'll show a replay twenty times and people will still argue "he was in." "no, he was out." "it's a catch." "no, it's not a catch." it's called judgment. That's the officials' job.
                      you mean it's their job to watch replays and judge what happened?
                      i'm dead serious. Officials are human. They make mistakes - just like players. Get over it.
                      or improve it
                      it's part of life (at least the life i grew up knowing...i fear the brave new world that's coming - or is already here).
                      I for one welcome our new technological overlords.

Comment

Originally posted by christos1968 View Post
                        Funny you bring up balls and strikes- because computers DO A BETTER JOB WITH THAT!
                        NO they don't. That box is "approximate." The only way it could be completely accurate is if it were situated exactly perpendicular to the plate. That center field camera (zoomed in) cannot judge the precise instant the ball crosses the plate (which, by the way, is when the determination is made - not when the ball is in the catcher's glove). I umpired high school baseball for eight years. And you're missing the point. The puck going through the net is NOT offside. That's not a judgment call - it's an equipment issue that very rarely occurs.

And if you want to take the human element out of the game, fine. Let's see what you say when a computer takes your job too.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                          I for one welcome our new technological overlords.
                          Fine. Whatever. No point in arguing about it anymore. You'll find out...in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Tickets purchased in November! 5.2 miles.
                            Sorry! I strive to be accurate (although I'm sure not as accurate as those replays)...

Comment

NO they don't. That box is "approximate." The only way it could be completely accurate is if it were situated exactly perpendicular to the plate. That center field camera (zoomed in) cannot judge the precise instant the ball crosses the plate (which, by the way, is when the determination is made - not when the ball is in the catcher's glove). I umpired high school baseball for eight years. And you're missing the point. The puck going through the net is NOT offside. That's not a judgment call - it's an equipment issue that very rarely occurs.

And if you want to take the human element out of the game, fine. Let's see what you say when a computer takes your job too.

If a computer did my job better than me I am all for it. Not gonna happen in my line of work so I am not worried.
                              The technology for the box is NOT from the center field camera- there are like 5 special cameras hung around the baselines that do that. And MLB uses the technology to "grade" the umps so even they know the technology is better than the human eye. Watch the episode- even an old anti technology curmudgeon like you MIGHT come over to our side!

Comment

• Originally posted by christos1968 View Post
                                So a few years ago in an NCAA tournament game some team (can't remember- maybe CC?) scored but it went through some hole in the net and like 5 minutes of action went by until the next whistle. Then they reviewed the play and counted the goal. Is that too much time gone by
                                2009 Air Force UVM regional final.

Comment

Working...
                                X