Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I don't remember OC notoriously having trouble moving laterally, though that might be shaded by his puck handling issues. Jake certainly hasn't had issues moving laterally this year and his mistake wasn't not hustling to cover the far post but the gamble to make a play on the puck when the UMD forward came by the side of the net.
    Oettinger's decision probably had to do with Harper having covered RD for McAvoy. If a defenseman or an F with more size was marking Iafallo, Jake might not have over-committed to his right side. As it is, Harper's stick was split second too late to stop the wrap-around. A good hockey play by UMD.
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Man oh man. I have never *ever* rooted for BU before. The idea of rooting for BU was akin to rooting for the Yankees. Or was one local sports writer would say, like rooting for the house in blackjack. That change for me this weekend as I cheered non-stop during the 2OT game on Friday night - especially the ups and downs throughout that game. Even yesterdays game, which required an update to the computer's OS, browser, and latest version of Flash so I could watch. Disappointing end. Your team clearly has excellent skill, speed, and goaltending. Congrats on a great season! As runsub5 wrote earlier, any time a team is one win away from the Frozen Four is a good season.
      University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
        Oettinger's decision probably had to do with Harper having covered RD for McAvoy. If a defenseman or an F with more size was marking Iafallo, Jake might not have over-committed to his right side. As it is, Harper's stick was split second too late to stop the wrap-around. A good hockey play by UMD.
        After watching the replay a million times on ESPN...McAvoy doesn't back check hard and then instead of going to the far post covers a guy that Somerby already has covered...two D end up covering one guy Oettinger appears to get caught up in the net for a second and nobody takes the puck carrier..bad goal at a bad time after BU controlled the first period

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
          Certainly had a past tense tone.
          linky?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
            Certainly had a past tense tone.
            I saw that too, but the rest of the quote was very Pro-BU. He said something like it blew his mind that he didn't opt for NCAA/BU sooner than he did.

I think he was using the past tense from the sense of that team, knowing that the team would be different next year. He is not NHL ready, and I can't beleive that a team like Nashville would push to sign him when he still needs development.

There are tweets about Keller signing in time to play for the Yotes tomorrow (mentions that it is too late to burn a year off the ELC), and the Wild talking to Greenway's advisor about signing him for next season.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
              I saw that too, but the rest of the quote was very Pro-BU. He said something like it blew his mind that he didn't opt for NCAA/BU sooner than he did.

I think he was using the past tense from the sense of that team, knowing that the team would be different next year. He is not NHL ready, and I can't beleive that a team like Nashville would push to sign him when he still needs development.

There are tweets about Keller signing in time to play for the Yotes tomorrow (mentions that it is too late to burn a year off the ELC), and the Wild talking to Greenway's advisor about signing him for next season.
              One-and-done defensemen are quite rare. Fabbro seems to be the least of the flight risks.

Arizona's game tomorrow is in St. Louis, a stone's throw from Keller's hometown. He grew up in the Jr. Blues organization. And the Coyotes next game after that is at home against the Blues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                One-and-done defensemen are quite rare. Fabbro seems to be the least of the flight risks..
                maybe a 2nd yr for him, but at the end of the day they need to play against bigger/faster/stronger fwds to develop. weren't many of us surprised with strait left to play in the ahl? but it did help him. heck, it's not like bu can schedule games vs 24 & 25yo players on merrimack and umlol every night

Comment

"chuck fletcher / jordan greenway's advisor to speak today. #mnwild would love to sign JG to deal starting 17-18 if he wants to leave BU but Greenway could wait to sign. for an ATO to play a few wks in Iowa. he'll need to decide if it's worth ending semester early."

@russotrib

Comment

twitter reporting keller has signed.

https://twitter.com/SBNCollegePuck/s...30530663661568

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                      One-and-done defensemen are quite rare. Fabbro seems to be the least of the flight risks.

Arizona's game tomorrow is in St. Louis, a stone's throw from Keller's hometown. He grew up in the Jr. Blues organization. And the Coyotes next game after that is at home against the Blues.
                      SB Nation now reporting Keller has signed with the Coyotes. Good luck, Clayton. Let's remember that beyond his on-ice contributions, he helped Quinn convince Oettinger and Krys to commit to BU.
                      http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017...ie-of-the-year

Comment

Loss was tougher to take then I thought it would be because the game ended up being very winnable against a team that did not look all that formidable all weekend. BU couldn't convert when they could early and that late first period goal was an absolute killer, starting with a less then heady play by knucklehead McAvoy (know the game situation and time!). Oettinger wasn't perfect and he needed to be but there wouldn't have been a game without him on Friday.They should have won the game and had a shot at beating a familiar foe next. Would be nice to have put another FF on the resume. Going to miss watching Keller he was "the" offense. In the old days he would have played with Eichel for 2 years, and you wonder why oldies like me are always pining for the teams of the 70's 80's 90's. . Next years team will be much more fun to watch undoubtedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                          Loss was tougher to take then I thought it would be because the game ended up being very winnable against a team that did not look all that formidable all weekend. BU couldn't convert when they could early and that late first period goal was an absolute killer, starting with a less then heady play by knucklehead McAvoy (know the game situation and time!). Oettinger wasn't perfect and he needed to be but there wouldn't have been a game without him on Friday.They should have won the game and had a shot at beating a familiar foe next. Would be nice to have put another FF on the resume. Going to miss watching Keller he was "the" offense. In the old days he would have played with Eichel for 2 years, and you wonder why oldies like me are always pining for the teams of the 70's 80's 90's. . Next years team will be much more fun to watch undoubtedly.
                          Oh the blasphemy criticizing Charlie...I loved how they were now calling him a defensive defenseman this weekend because of the lack of scoring numbers..the greatest recruiting class in the history of college hockey just became average with the loss of Keller...careful you are going to be accused of being someone's dad soon

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                            and you wonder why oldies like me are always pining for the teams of the 70's 80's 90's. . Next years team will be much more fun to watch undoubtedly.
                            This is what I worry about as well. I read the quote from the Duluth players saying "This is why we came back" (after losing two straight regional finals - to BU and BC no less). Are those days gone? Yes, I'm proud of what the team did, but are we ever going to get to that point where there is enough continuity to develop a true team chemistry and leadership to get us past the regionals? Although the "philosophy" of recruiting so many "high end" players will "always" keep us "competitive," we need MORE than that to go all the way. Remember, take away the '09 team (which embodied exactly what I have been talking about - a perfect combination of older leadership and high-end talent), BU has won the whole thing ONCE in the last 22 years.

And I'm not BLAMING anyone. Unfortunately, I think this is the way it is today. There doesn't seem to be any value in a group of people working together to achieve something anymore...just the "I want to get mine" immediate gratification mentality. You can't tell me that guys like Boeser from North Dakota, for example, don't have their pro careers ALWAYS in their minds. I mean, the guy scored a goal in the NHL less than 24 hours after the loss to BU. How can one focus on the task at hand when he is always thinking about tomorrow? Nobody seems to live in the present anymore and the attention spans are miniscule. And I think this explains in part the inconsistent play. BU was able to focus for a couple of big games this weekend, but for the most part all season, they were "MIA" for long stretches in almost every game. In the majority of instances they were able to overcome this with their talent, but that only works for so long. Everyone wants to "rush" through their life and do everything immediately. I believe that the constant exposure to everything that is going on instantaneously, via technology, has distorted people's sense of reality. As I said yesterday, "What's the rush?" The contract will be there tomorrow. And if the argument is "What if I suffer a career-ending injury or something and didn't take the money when I had the chance?" my response is "So???? Does your life end? That's one of the reasons you are going to college, isn't it? To prepare yourself for LIFE."

Maybe it's the lack of good parenting. Of course, team representatives, agents, etc are going to expound upon the "advantages" of leaving school early, but that's because it benefits THEM. Who is looking out for the athlete? Sorry to say, that's the parents' responsibility, but they get seduced and enticed also.

I just hope we don't see season after season of "near misses" because nobody stays around to develop a TEAM long enough.
                            Last edited by chickod; 03-26-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I know it’s really early and a lot is dependent on who stays and who leaves but what are everyone's thoughts for next season? I was looking at the list of recruits and I wonder if Quinn and co. over recruited? He may have been preparing for the worst case scenario in terms of early departures but assuming more stay than expected, will some recruits be asked to de-commit? Or some current players leave?

Here are my subjective evaluations of potential scenarios

Worst Case - 6 F and 4 D
                              Forwards
                              Kelley - Roberto - Keller - Greenway - JFK - Bellows (for MJ possibly)
                              Defense:
                              Somerby - McAvoy - Hickey - Fabbro

Likely Case – 5 F and 3 D
                              Forwards
                              Kelley - Roberto - Keller - Greenway - JFK
                              Defense
                              Somerby - McAvoy - Hickey

Best Case – 4 F and 2 D
                              Forwards
                              Kelley - Roberto - Keller - Greenway
                              Defense
                              Somerby – McAvoy

Recruits – 5 F and 3 D
                              Forwards
                              Bowers- Crone – Cockerill – Tkachuk – Amonte
                              Defense
                              Farrance – Kotkansalo – Crotty

I personally think there’s a good chance that the Best Case comes to fruition with JFK and Hickey staying one more year. As long as we avoid the Worst Case, I think we’re looking at a pretty solid team (on paper anyway) for next year. Maybe not as much high end talent but the depth looks real good.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                This is what I worry about as well. I read the quote from the Duluth players saying "This is why we came back" (after losing two straight regional finals - to BU and BC no less). Are those days gone? Yes, I'm proud of what the team did, but are we ever going to get to that point where there is enough continuity to develop a true team chemistry and leadership to get us past the regionals? Although the "philosophy" of recruiting so many "high end" players will "always" keep us "competitive," we need MORE than that to go all the way. Remember, take away the '09 team (which embodied exactly what I have been talking about - a perfect combination of older leadership and high-end talent), BU has won the whole thing ONCE in the last 22 years.

And I'm not BLAMING anyone. Unfortunately, I think this is the way it is today. There doesn't seem to be any value in a group of people working together to achieve something anymore...just the "I want to get mine" immediate gratification mentality. You can't tell me that guys like Boeser from North Dakota, for example, don't have their pro careers ALWAYS in their minds. I mean, the guy scored a goal in the NHL less than 24 hours after the loss to BU. How can one focus on the task at hand when he is always thinking about tomorrow? Nobody seems to live in the present anymore and the attention spans are miniscule. And I think this explains in part the inconsistent play. BU was able to focus for a couple of big games this weekend, but for the most part all season, they were "MIA" for long stretches in almost every game. In the majority of instances they were able to overcome this with their talent, but that only works for so long. Everyone wants to "rush" through their life and do everything immediately. I believe that the constant exposure to everything that is going on instantaneously, via technology, has distorted people's sense of reality. As I said yesterday, "What's the rush?" The contract will be there tomorrow. And if the argument is "What if I suffer a career-ending injury or something and didn't take the money when I had the chance?" my response is "So???? Does your life end? That's one of the reasons you are going to college, isn't it? To prepare yourself for LIFE."

Maybe it's the lack of good parenting. Of course, team representatives, agents, etc are going to expound upon the "advantages" of leaving school early, but that's because it benefits THEM. Who is looking out for the athlete? Sorry to say, that's the parents' responsibility, but they get seduced and enticed also.

I just hope we don't see season after season of "near misses" because nobody stays around to develop a TEAM long enough.
                                Team represetatives...family advisors..agents..etc are also in the locker room lobbying for their guys and "helping" with the line up...they don't care about who played better or what's best for BU..only that their guy gets ice time...in defense of Quinn...hard to coach under those circumstances..**** off the wrong NHL team and you don't get the next Eichel or Keller..remain to be seen if this is the way to build your team.

Comment

Working...
                                X