Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    if you are playing tennis and there is a great point that goes back and forth, but the ball was just out on the 4th shot and you lose the point when you hit the net on the 29th volley...... is that ok?
    Originally posted by defkit View Post
    That is a tough call...but I think I would say yes (if there was such a rule). I mean the ball being out ends the point (sort of the equivalent of the goal being scored). But I would never want that rule in place. I do like the system they have in place now, when they are playing on courts that have that replay system. It is quick, it's up to the player to challenge. And perhaps most important, if there is an egregious missed call of a ball being out, the chair umpire can overrule.
    As I understand the challenge rules in tennis, if the ball goes out of bounds the player must make a split second decision to either immediately stop play and challenge the call that the ball was in or play the ball. If the player plays the ball then no review is allowed. So, in the example given, losing on the 29th volley is OK as the player chose to not stop play and ask for a review.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      As I understand the challenge rules in tennis, if the ball goes out of bounds the player must make a split second decision to either immediately stop play and challenge the call that the ball was in or play the ball. If the player plays the ball then no review is allowed. So, in the example given, losing on the 29th volley is OK as the player chose to not stop play and ask for a review.

Sean
      see now. it's not the players responsibility to make the call. why should they be punished if the official f's it up?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

only place mookie would really like to see a replay/video/automated dealie would be a strike zone. use that K zone and beep for a strike over the stadium loudspeaker.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          - The story line they jumped on was in my opinion overstated - that the shattering glass break turned the tide. There was no tide in BU's favor, other tan the scoreboard. North Dakota was already winning all the battles when the glass shattered. They just didn't score their goals until after the fact.
          A perfect example of pretzeling the facts to fit a convenient story line. UND was camped out in the BU zone well before the check on Bellows.
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            see now. it's not the players responsibility to make the call. why should they be punished if the official f's it up?
            Maybe, but I believe that the current system of humans (oh, no, not them again! ) and player challenges using the Hawk-Eye technology is preferred over the old Cyclops technology (which may have only been used for serves and not all line calls). Imagine that, players willing to (usually) accept human decisions! What is the world coming to?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              A perfect example of pretzeling the facts to fit a convenient story line. UND was camped out in the BU zone well before the check on Bellows.
              I agree and I thought the break benefited BU and not UND. For the first three minutes after play resumed BU played much better, had control of the puck in both their zone and UND's zone for periods of play and even had a few good chances to get a fourth goal. However, UND scored off the faceoff with 7:44 left and that reignited them.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Fine. Whatever. No point in arguing about it anymore. You'll find out...in a few years.
                I actually understand your point of view and I don't really think your wrong. If there was a better way to ensure the refs got all the calls right I'd be all for it, but I'm more interested in the calls being right than having human people on the ice making calls. Maybe I'm wrong, but at this point they're going with technology so I'll embrace it.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  The color guy on the broadcast wass painful to listen to. I don't mind Clay Matvik (sp?)as much, though he wasn't great either...
                  At one point Bellows saved a puck from going into the net with his stick and in going to the replay they were praising Oettinger for the save. As we're watching the replay they continue to say boy what a save by Oettinger even though it was extremely clear Bellows swatted the puck away with Oettinger out of the play.

Someone else mentioned this but I think it was after JFKs goal the announcer was saying who scored the goal and after saying Jacob, he paused briefly (clearly looking at "Forsbacka" on his sheet and thinking how the hell do I say that) then skipping half of his last name and calling him Jacob Karlsson. You'd think they'd at least confirm the pronunciation of some of the players likely to score goals.

Comment

Probably stating the obvious but if we somehow manage to win this next game against UMD, I really hope Olsson is back for the Frozen Four. The 3rd and 4th lines were really lacking against UND yesterday to say the least and he would bring a much needed physical presence and an upgrade on the offensive side of things. An Olsson-Curry-Bellows or Olsson-Cloonan-Bellows line would be ones that I would be a lot less nervous to see out on the ice. I see today's 3rd line will be Phelps-Cloonan-Bellows - similar to yesterday's game, I think UMD's goals will likely come against these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
                      Probably stating the obvious but if we somehow manage to win this next game against UMD, I really hope Olsson is back for the Frozen Four. The 3rd and 4th lines were really lacking against UND yesterday to say the least and he would bring a much needed physical presence and an upgrade on the offensive side of things. An Olsson-Curry-Bellows or Olsson-Cloonan-Bellows line would be ones that I would be a lot less nervous to see out on the ice. I see today's 3rd line will be Phelps-Cloonan-Bellows - similar to yesterday's game, I think UMD's goals will likely come against these guys.
                      Both of UND's third period goals came with the 3rd line on the ice and I'm pretty certain the disallowed OT goal did as well. In their defense, the third line was pretty gassed when the tying goal was scored, while UND had changed up with the puck in BU's end.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        Both of UND's third period goals came with the 3rd line on the ice and I'm pretty certain the disallowed OT goal did as well. In their defense, the third line was pretty gassed when the tying goal was scored, while UND had changed up with the puck in BU's end.
                        Correct- Like Phelps who replaced Curry on third line for more responsible defense- face off losses killed us yesterday
                        Assume game will start on ESPNews as MInn-ND game will not be over and has extra time possibilities

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                          Correct- Like Phelps who replaced Curry on third line for more responsible defense- face off losses killed us yesterday
                          Assume game will start on ESPNews as MInn-ND game will not be over and has extra time possibilities
                          Can't. Women's basketball

Comment

Anybody know what channel the game is on? I have an emergency and have to record it. The Minnesota game is going to run long. If anyone hears please post. I can set my DVR from my phone.

Comment

charlie was +2 yesterday?!?!?! can that be right?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Anybody know what channel the game is on? I have an emergency and have to record it. The Minnesota game is going to run long. If anyone hears please post. I can set my DVR from my phone.
                                Scheduled for ESPNU, since MN-ND is going to run long my guess is that it'd start on ESPNNews. Looking at the schedule on there right now, they have no scheduled programming beyond the usual running SportsCenter for the next few hours. Probably best to play it safe and set both channels to record.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X