Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College vs Wisconsin Semi Final 2017

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Wisconsin is better. The Badgers miss Burke, but they're better up front.
    Not counting what happens today, they've only lost half as many games this year (2) as last (4).
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
      The short version is 2 words: Matt Desrosiers

He and his staff devise a system, gets the players to buy into a system and they play the system. He and his assistants are as good as anyone out there.

LGT LGT LGT
      They always look like a very well coached team to me. Congrats Knights!

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
        Oh, i get it now. Whenever an eastern team beats a western team its in a weak year for the westerners. Thanks for not showing the well known western bias and giving an excuse before the final started. I feel so educated now.
        Yeah, Eeyore, lol, that was BS
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Yeah, Eeyore, lol, that was BS
          I think both of you are misunderstanding what eeyore was saying. He very clearly stated, "It would be an interesting commentary on the state of the sport IF all of the teams . . . ". I didn't read it that he was saying he agreed that this was true.

But I understand why you all might be a bit overly-sensative
          Last edited by ne7minder; 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Wisconsin is better. The Badgers miss Burke, but they're better up front.
            We're going to have to disagree on that. Before the season, I thought the Badgers would be better this year, but that's not the team that I watched play eight games. In those eight games, Wisconsin scored a total of sixteen goals. Eight of them came against a bunch of Gophers having a complete meltdown, and four came in the second half against a UMD team that was completely out of gas.

In the other six games, they were shut out three times and scored one goal twice. The only time they scored even two goals against a team that fought back (often, to its own detriment, literally) was against North Dakota in the WCHA semifinal. One of those two goals came with a two-man advantage.

The Badgers were good at running up the score against teams that were either overmatched or that capitulated. Against anyone else, their struggles to score were almost as bad as Minnesota's, especially over the second half of the season. Last year's edition may have scored three fewer goals overall, but they were much better distributed and didn't involve as much feasting against weak opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              I think both of you are misunderstanding what eeyore was saying. He very clearly stated, "It would be an interesting commentary on the state of the sport IF all of the teams . . . ". I didn't read it that he was saying he agreed that this was true.
              The only reason I'm not sure it was true is that I didn't follow Clarkson well enough to really know whether they were better or worse this year than last. I think the other three were.

However, TTT was objecting to my comment that Clarkson has its best teams in the years when Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't as good. He, and others, have misinterpreted this is a criticism of them, but it's not. There's no asterisk on Clarkson's title today. You play the teams that are there, not the teams that weren't. The simple fact is that the quality of teams faced along the way to a championship vary from year to year.

That's true in all sports. The Gophers' undefeated season was undoubtedly helped along by the fact that Wisconsin had its weakest team in years and that UMD slid into a trough from which they didn't emerge until this year. That doesn't take away from what they accomplished, but it's really unlikely that that Minnesota team, as good as they were, goes undefeated against the WCHA of 2010-11 or the WCHA of the last two years; it was as much a product of its moment in time as it was of the team itself.

All I was really trying to do was to compare the two seasons in which Clarkson won its titles to Boston College. Had BC had last year's team this year, they likely would have emerged as the champion. (Someone who thinks this year's Wisconsin team was actually better than last year's might disagree.) BC's timing has been bad, and that's a part of the reason they haven't won a national title.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                That doesn't take away from what they accomplished, but it's really unlikely that that Minnesota team, as good as they were, goes undefeated against the WCHA of 2010-11 or the WCHA of the last two years; it was as much a product of its moment in time as it was of the team itself.
                That North Dakota team, however, was much better than any other UND team before or since. I agree about Wisconsin only if you totally write off 2009-2010, when the Badgers were rather lousy (except when playing Minnesota ). That WCHA may have been better than this one in some respects (at least the Lams could find the net w/o a map).

Any team that has won an NCAA title got a few key breaks along the way. If you don't get them, you don't win.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Among other things, they're making sure they have their best teams in seasons when the western powers are relatively weak. 2014 was an Olympic year, when Clarkson lost no one to centralization. This edition of the Gophers is a couple of steps below the last five years, and I don't think that Wisconsin is as good as it was last year, either.
                  The 2014 Gophers that were 38-2-1 were the finest Gopher team we've seen since the doors to Ridder opened that didn't win an NCAA championship. I wouldn't refer to them as weak relatively or in any other way. They did continue a tradition though of the Gophers not winning when they have a goalie new to the Frozen Four.
                  Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM. Reason: FF
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

We're going to have to disagree on that. Before the season, I thought the Badgers would be better this year, but that's not the team that I watched play eight games. In those eight games, Wisconsin scored a total of sixteen goals. Eight of them came against a bunch of Gophers having a complete meltdown, and four came in the second half against a UMD team that was completely out of gas.

In the other six games, they were shut out three times and scored one goal twice. The only time they scored even two goals against a team that fought back (often, to its own detriment, literally) was against North Dakota in the WCHA semifinal. One of those two goals came with a two-man advantage.

The Badgers were good at running up the score against teams that were either overmatched or that capitulated. Against anyone else, their struggles to score were almost as bad as Minnesota's, especially over the second half of the season. Last year's edition may have scored three fewer goals overall, but they were much better distributed and didn't involve as much feasting against weak opposition.
                    I agree with this. Once MJ put Clark, Pankowski and Nurse together, it neutered the 2nd line, specifically Norby, she disappeared from the score-sheet, Cogan was not a factor at all, only McKibbon was able to score a bit after that (though it did seem to ignite Nurse, so overall it wasn't a dumb move, it just made UW top heavy with scoring). Roque also seemed to hit a wall against the better competition, and she was the creator for Wellhausen and Shaver, so her disappearing shut those 2 down. UW was essentially a one line team. I was hoping in the UW thread that MJ would insert a speedier and craftier Mauermann in place of Cogan or even Shaver, to fire up one of those lines. MJ tends to be very steady with the lines, whereas TG on the men's side was changing combos constantly.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                    X