Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I've always thought that if a state or city calls the sport "ice hockey" it's not a real hockey state or city.
    I'm using it because field hockey is one of the other sports in question, so a differentiation is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      Who is the "they" in ARM's comment?
      The people in Michigan who give a rip about hockey. Is the source of your confusion because there is no such group there? If so, my bad.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Isn't it adapted floor hockey?
        Oops, corrected in edit above.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I don't think that is allowed. Once a player competes internationally for one team, they aren't allowed to become a free agent and go elsewhere, even if they have dual citizenship, ancestral ties, or whatever allows people to go compete for a different country. That's why someone like goalie Alex Gulstene has to think carefully before deciding which country to represent.
          Here is the link to the applicable rule - http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...f-eligibility/

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            The people in Michigan who give a rip about hockey. Is the source of your confusion because there is no such group there? If so, my bad.
            No, it's that this set of people has approximately zero intersection with the set of people who make the decisions as to what sports universities are going to field varsity teams in. People in this thread are being very vague as to just who they are referring to at any given moment and eliding the distinctions between various groups, opting instead for generalizations that don't withstand any scrutiny.

Comment

so now the players are blaming USA Hockey for their failure to win gold
              if both sides are not going to be honest with the public, they are better off keeping this private

Comment

Detroit is home to several good AAA girls teams. Lots of good players come from there.

Maybe USA Hockey will just have the U19 Little Cesar's team play. Wonder how they would do.
                Pass the puck

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  And the backtrack by USAH begins

@Buccigross: USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer, told ESPNW's Johnette Howard the deadline was never intended to be any sort of ultimatum
                  I got this nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale ... going cheap ... honestly...
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Wondering if the IIHF has any kind of penalties they could invoke if there is no team, either financially or in taking away future qualifiers or hosting opps?
                    I suspect they will be p*ss*d.

If this goes awhile, like into next year, the USOC and IOC could get involved if they wish.

Look at what the USOC did to force the president of USA Gymnastics to resign. Look at what the IOC is doing to force the Kenyan Olympic Committee to change.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I don't think that is allowed. Once a player competes internationally for one team, they aren't allowed to become a free agent and go elsewhere, even if they have dual citizenship, ancestral ties, or whatever allows people to go compete for a different country. That's why someone like goalie Alex Gulstene has to think carefully before deciding which country to represent.
                      There are rare situations when you can switch. Like if your country ceases to exist.

Each sport has their own rules. Soccer seems to be more lenient than others. Then the IOC has their own rules as well, though they very rarely supersede a particular sports governing body's rule.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                        . . . but doesn't USA Hockey have any morals or values?
                        No.
                        This has been another episode of simple answers to simple questions.

Comment

Bit of an update...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...cott-1.4031959

Comment

Nice to see ESPN getting on board.

First Take - Women's Hockey Lack Of Pay In USA
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TByExB3r7zo
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

From yesterday's meetings:
                              "We had productive meetings today with players that are part of the U.S. Women's National Team program and their representatives, and conversations will continue this week," USA Hockey said in a statement. "Our goal remains to have the players we previously announced as the U.S. Women's National Team be the group that represents our country at the upcoming 2017 IIHF Women's World Championship."

"It was a long day of productive discussions," U.S. team captain Meghan Duggan said in a phone interview with ESPN shortly after negotiations broke off for the night around 7:45 ET in Philadelphia. "The goal after leaving today is to get the players on the ice in time to prepare for the world championships, and compete in the world championships."

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...e-negotiations

Comment

City Pages The Twin Cities free weekly:
                                http://www.citypages.com/news/us-wom...uity/416442433

Darwitz applauds the players taking the hard line.

"They've probably gotten to the point where there's a lot of built up frustration," she says. "The times have changed, but U.S.A. Hockey might not have changed the way they fund and help and promote the game.…

"What you're seeing is more out-of-college players continue to play and when that happens, they're saying, 'Hey, this is actually really difficult. I want to continue to follow my dreams and train. I'm having a hard time even paying my bills. How come I'm not getting any support?'"

Comment

Working...
                                X