Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Women's World Championships

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    nothing complicated about that, 15-20,000 seat arenas are filled with people paying 30 to over a hundred bucks to watch, not to mention TV revenue
    their only chance to put paying fans in the seats is to win gold, the US likes a winner, everyone else is a loser
    but you did nail it, this all came about because the NWHL cut their pay and probably won't last unless something drastic happens
    they can't get blood out of a turnip , the NWHL, so they are going after the only organization that does
    Are you seriously blaming this all on the NWHL?

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I think we all understand that. But from a sense of fairness, it isn't particularly fair that a rather average MLB baseball player today can earn many times what Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays made. And it doesn't make a lot of sense that a CEO of a corporation that is losing money or a shooting guard from a last-place team demands a bigger salary than one of the best heart surgeons. It is based on supply and demand, yes, but why we value one thing over another isn't always logical.

As far as the women, I can see both sides. The current women's players may lack some perspective of history and Olympic athletes a few generations back who received almost no support from a national body and had to train on their own. At the same time, giving more aid to just another fourth-line grinder on a men's team than you give to the best women hockey players in the world just because he was born with a Y chromosome doesn't seem right. Yes, he is bigger, stronger, faster. But when I watched the MN boys' HS tourney a couple weeks back, those players were better physically than the women's NCAA players. They were much better at finishing. However, they didn't always hold to the fundamentals of the game. Kids were constantly turning the puck over because they'd reach back with one hand while skating away from the play, and if they lost it, they just kept going. Women's players seem far more disciplined about stopping and starting and getting back in the play quickly, rather than just doing what is easy.

And when it comes to a U.S. Olympic team, there isn't a lot more demand for success by men over women. In sports like figure skating and gymnastics, I think there is more weight (and ratings) on the women's side. I've watch many a graphic that NBC puts up showing medal counts by country, and a lot of times, the American women are doing the bulk of the winning. As a country, we want to win the gold medal in women's ice hockey, even if we only care about it for a couple of weeks every four years. If we suddenly have no better chance than Russia does of winning gold in women's ice hockey because the best women retire as soon as they graduate from college, then it gets harder to hold viewer interest and sell those Big Macs.
    you have pretty much laid it out why the women hockey players get peanuts, people don't want to watch them, they want to watch women skate, but not with sticks and pucks, but in pretty sequined dresses or watch women in leotards prancing on gym apparatus

apparently those of us who watch them play hockey are the odd ones

I'm hoping Trump fixes this!

How many USWNT members get backballed for the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I think we all understand that. But from a sense of fairness, it isn't particularly fair that a rather average MLB baseball player today can earn many times what Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays made.
    I know he said this many times in his later years, usually in referring to Joe DiMaggio, but maybe someone hasn't heard it. One time on the Tonight Show Johnny Carson asked Mickey Mantle what he thought he would be worth in the free agency market today. He said he didn't know, but he would probably just go into Mr Steinbrenner's office and say, "Hello, partner."

When will USAH realize they are not holding a winning hand??

http://deadspin.com/usa-hockey-tries...epl-1793638637

D-III scoring champ and USCHO player of the year and ACHA player of year Dani Sibley tweeted she said no today
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Arafel View Post
    D-III scoring champ and USCHO player of the year and ACHA player of year Dani Sibley tweeted she said no today
    Love it! Even D3 players are telling USA Hockey to shove it! High school and 19U players will be next to be invited to be scab players...girls, tell the money-grubbing brainiacs at USA Hockey a resounding NO! Stand in support of the National Team players! Let's find out how much more egg USA Hockey wants piled on their faces! Lol, what a joke they are!

What subsidies do other female athletes get? For example rowing? With the amount of girls playing hockey and the dues paid by them USA hockey needs to step up here. Their model is skewed. Do we really need a U17 team in Michigan?

More grist for the mill:

“The report found that U.S.A. Hockey is the only national governing body among American Winter Olympic sports in which women account for less than 20 percent of the board of directors.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/s...eadership.html

@walsha: Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men's World Championships in solidarity with the women.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Are you seriously blaming this all on the NWHL?

Sean
    I'm attributing it, at least in part, to the failure of the NWHL
    http://deadspin.com/where-does-the-n...ere-1791350348

yes, they deserve more financial support, but you can't get blood out of a turnip

"Those demands never panned out, because the players had no leverage. Players still don’t know the identity of all the investors, and Rylan wouldn’t specify to Deadspin what exactly the league miscalculated in terms of revenue, just that “it was harder to close deals than we had anticipated and harder to sell tickets.”"
    Last edited by pokechecker; 03-26-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCAlum View Post
    I don't buy it. My daughter is not good enough to play Olympic level hockey, and as such will not be asked to be a "scab." But are the girls/women who play really scabs? There is no union, so no true picket line. What if you disagree with the argument of the players formerly on the National Team? If you disagree and agree to play, I don't see it as a scab situation.
    BTW, I think this is bad for everyone. There are no winners, only who loses less. Some women will eventually be made an example of at a later date. a 3rd or 4th liner, a 5th, 6th or 7th D. You know it is going to happen. I am not saying they should be, but I see it happening. Plenty of fault to go around and just a shame it has gone this far. Work it out people!
    How old is your daughter? If she plays maybe she can win gold by herself! You go girl!

I don't see any future coach making an example of any players. That goes against trying to win over Canada which is the top goal in these events. No coach is going to risk his/her reputation by losing because they chose to punish players that boycotted or supported the boycott. USA Hockey is the only loser here.
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-26-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    @walsha: Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men's World Championships in solidarity with the women.
    If this is true, wow. Simply wow.

And USA Hockey is boned. There is no way to spin themselves out of this.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-26-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCAlum View Post
    I don't buy it. My daughter is not good enough to play Olympic level hockey, and as such will not be asked to be a "scab." But are the girls/women who play really scabs? There is no union, so no true picket line. What if you disagree with the argument of the players formerly on the National Team? If you disagree and agree to play, I don't see it as a scab situation.
    If you want to play the semantics game (or are an English teacher LOL), you are correct.

But in the spirit of the word, using that word gets the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    If you want to play the semantics game (or are an English teacher LOL), you are correct.

But in the spirit of the word, using that word gets the point across.
    Which is exactly why I used it.

That's too bad, I don't understand why some of these players have said no. Former D-III players are not going to ever play on the national team. They are probably not going to play in the NWHL as that is a temporary parking spot for national team players. And besides, they probably could not afford to as they are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt(unlike the national team former D-I players). Your future hockey career is the Saturday night beer league. So why not take a shot? Probably because of fear of what the elite might say about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolinepass View Post
    That's too bad, I don't understand why some of these players have said no. Former D-III players are not going to ever play on the national team. They are probably not going to play in the NWHL as that is a temporary parking spot for national team players. And besides, they probably could not afford to as they are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt(unlike the national team former D-I players). Your future hockey career is the Saturday night beer league. So why not take a shot? Probably because of fear of what the elite might say about you.
    Or, maybe, they think it's about more than themselves. Probably some in both camps, to be honest, and those of us on the outside have no way of knowing the relative proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    According to NBC Sports, Hockey Night in Canada is reporting the same thing based on their discussions with American players.

This is getting very interesting...

All Abooaarrd!

Apparently the NBA, NFL, and MLB players' unions are all jumping on the support train...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...omen-1.4041978

Thread Information