Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Women's World Championships

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    You could have continuous contract that pays month to month. Once cut or replaced financial support ends. I'm sure the players would agree to that. Canada has found a way to give their players $1,500 per month all year every year and substantially more during Olympic year.

I think asking USA Hockey to get more on par with Hockey Canada Women's hockey is not too much to ask although Canadian government helps out with their athletes' compensation.
    I agree with this. You can't have a 4 year contract but it can be figured out. Maybe you have to pick a team each year and then that team gets a 1 year deal or month to month. One interesting point (to me anyway) in this debate is the issue of support of girls hockey equal to boys. Why do we have the NTDP for boys and not for girls and why do we have the NTDP for boys at all when the Olympic teams are picked from the NHL? What purpose does it really serve other than sucking up a lot of available funding? It seems to me that a more logical argument can be made that there should be an NTDP for girls and not boys. Given that the support given to men's & women's hockey is a subsidy from a quasi governmental entity, there would seem to be a strong legal ground that funding should be at least equal or equal opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    D2D, are the 261 comments ill-considered and shot from the hip?
    Or are they carefully considered, well informed comments
    I put one of these there for a reason!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Detroit? Isn't that in Michigan, home to so many D1 women's hockey teams?
    Haha! Touche'. That is a whole other disappointing subject! 7 Division 1 Men's teams in Michigan. 0 girls teams. Only two Division 3 girls teams, one competitive. No wonder girls leave the state!

Quote Originally Posted by Rightnut View Post
    I agree with this. You can't have a 4 year contract but it can be figured out. Maybe you have to pick a team each year and then that team gets a 1 year deal or month to month. One interesting point (to me anyway) in this debate is the issue of support of girls hockey equal to boys. Why do we have the NTDP for boys and not for girls and why do we have the NTDP for boys at all when the Olympic teams are picked from the NHL? What purpose does it really serve other than sucking up a lot of available funding? It seems to me that a more logical argument can be made that there should be an NTDP for girls and not boys. Given that the support given to men's & women's hockey is a subsidy from a quasi governmental entity, there would seem to be a strong legal ground that funding should be at least equal or equal opportunity.
    In Canada we consider these athletes first and foremost Olympic/Elite level athletes so they are "carded". That means their primary focus is training to perform at an Elite/global level so the government gives them $1,500 per month, every month, every year. There are additional funds beyond that specific to Olympic years, training costs, etc.

So if you make the Canadian National Team, you won't get rich but at least you won't have to scrounge for meal money.....

Quote Originally Posted by DDad16 View Post
    Haha! Touche'. That is a whole other disappointing subject! 7 Division 1 Men's teams in Michigan. 0 girls teams. Only two Division 3 girls teams, one competitive. No wonder girls leave the state!
    Yes Historic Michigan College Men's hockey programs but not 1 D1 Women's program. Perfect choice to host Women's World Championships and Women's Tier 1 National Tournament for U14, U16, and U19 all in the same week... Ha

College hockey nerd

Hard for me and most others to comment because I don't know enough about the situation like the majority of Americans. That makes their stance pretty difficult, not because they aren't right but because most people don't even know if they're right.

USA Hockey gives women deadline on threatened boycott

USA Hockey has reached out by email to all 23 members of the U.S. women's national team and given them a deadline of 5 p.m. ET Thursday to individually confirm whether they intend to play in the IIHF World Championships that begin March 31 in Plymouth, Michigan, according to federation spokesman Dave Fischer.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...atened-boycott

USA Hockey has reached out by email to all 23 members of the U.S. women's national team and given them a deadline of 5 p.m. ET Thursday to individually confirm whether they intend to play in the IIHF World Championships that begin March 31 in Plymouth, Michigan, according to federation spokesman Dave Fischer.

The gloves have been dropped...

A little of the divide and conquer routine.

On the surface it's the right and logical thing to do, so they will earn points with the public/media, but under the hood they know full well that some players might cave and, if so, the players' house of cards comes tumbling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    The gloves have been dropped...
    Gophers have Kelly Pannek and Lee Stecklein that get to be distracted by this in St Louis.

Who from Wisconsin and BC are there? Is it just Pankowski and Keller?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    A little of the divide and conquer routine.

On the surface it's the right and logical thing to do, so they will earn points with the public/media, but under the hood they know full well that some players might cave and, if so, the players' house of cards comes tumbling down.
    I have nowhere near a good grasp of this. But I guess I hope all 23 players stand together.

There was no joy in Orono.

I think the boys have an NDP to get more Americans in the NHL and to get growth in college hockey. Is there a similar path for women? The mens NDP tours and plays mens colleges and feeds off exhibition games season ticket holders have to buy. Is that going to work on the womens side?

Lots of interesting arguments about centealized training in the soccer world, I'm not even sure it'd be a good thing for the game

Gophers have Kelly Pannek and Lee Stecklein that get to be distracted by this in St Louis.

Who from Wisconsin and BC are there? Is it just Pankowski and Keller?
    Pankowski is not on the roster, at least yet. BC also has Kali Flanagan. So two each from Minnesota and B.C.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...-national-team

Hopefully this gets resolved before they hit the ice in St. Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Some more detail here, and following the article already 261 comments.

US women's hockey players threaten boycott over wages
    http://www.startribune.com/us-women-...BYyYoJB9E3rmeH
    Wow. I got through about 15 comments & had to stop before I lashed out at the next person to come near me. Why all the vitriol? My goodness that made me bitter! 250 of the 261 have probably never watched the women play and 200 of those probably have not seen the men. They are just bitter , angry people THAT I NOW HATE. I am so glad they took a break from the lame bouncyball tourney to rip on women's hockey. Now who's bitter? AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!
    Last edited by captain beefheart; 03-16-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    I think the boys have an NDP to get more Americans in the NHL and to get growth in college hockey. Is there a similar path for women? The mens NDP tours and plays mens colleges and feeds off exhibition games season ticket holders have to buy. Is that going to work on the womens side?

Lots of interesting arguments about centealized training in the soccer world, I'm not even sure it'd be a good thing for the game
    You may be right but why should the USA Hockey be paying for that? Why are they subsidizing boys in order that they can earn million dollar professional contracts? If they are subsidizing anyone, shouldn't they subsidize girls who's highest level/ultimate goal is probably the Olympics (outside of the NWHL)?

I feel awful about this. Big supporter of HC team, but this is bad overall, many steps backwards if it doesn't get worked out. We have 4 flights and game tics for the week at World's but am waiting till 5 pm ET and then make a decision. I understand what the US players are asking for and I support. Terrible!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by captain beefheart View Post
    Wow. I got through about 15 comments & had to stop before I lashed out at the next person to come near me. Why all the vitriol? My goodness that made me bitter! 250 of the 261 have probably never watched the women play and 200 of those probably have not seen the men. They are just bitter , angry people THAT I NOW HATE. I am so glad they took a break from the lame bouncyball tourney to rip on women's hockey. Now who's bitter? AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!
    There is a swarm of trolls who live to belittle women. small pen is syndrome I assume. They show up on any thread that is supportive of women, particularly strong women.

Well, it's past 5 pm. Do you know where your Women's National Team is?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Well, it's past 5 pm. Do you know where your Women's National Team is?
    Wondering same. In revisiting the article posted above I see they added a video interview with Hillary Knight, but it was taped about 4 hours before the 5:00pm deadline.

Craig Custance‏-Senior writer for ESPN, ESPN NHL Insider.
    ‪@CraigCustance‬ 4h
    4 hours ago
    USWNT captain Meghan Duggan has made about 100 calls today to entire pool of women players in the national program. They're all united.
    4 replies
    370 retweets
    598 likes

All the players on the US roster have posted tweets about the boycott except Nicole Hensley and Kali Flanagan. Although Kali Flanagan has posted no recent tweets at all. I was curious if they were all public about it so I went through the roster.

Thread Information