• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

I blame Laura schuler

Comment

Good game. I blame Team USA.

Canada needs to spring Spooner with a few feet to work...such a phenomenal wrist shot (as she showed in the first period) and ultra dangerous on a breakaway.

Great job as usual by Rod Black, Cheryl Pounder, Tessa Bonhomme and Carla McLeod.

Canada hasn't scored in over 7 periods at the worlds! Credit the US with a lot of that...constantly took away space and time from Canada in the US zone tonight. Superior speed will allow you to do that.

Canada's defense was starting to make mistakes in the third and taking too long to make decisions although there were some nice defensive plays as well...one memorable one by Kryzaniak as I recall I think in the second period.

And I guess those 800+ saves per game at Lindenwood that T-Cubed mentioned held her in good stead honing her skills. Hensley made a few very nice saves tonight...she looked sharp and confident.

(And the US has Rooney waiting in the goaltending wings so Canada had better start shooting practice post haste to break this scoring slump).
      Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-31-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Team USA looked good with not a lot of prep. Speed kills and Team USA has that in spades.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Update -- I wasn't asked to log in to anything on the NHL.com browser stream. So hopefully you're all set.
          Yeah, but dumb *ss me forgot all about it. :-(
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            OK if Kessel and Brandt get another year.
            That would be an interesting "fantasy" scenario! As much as I admire Lee and Kelly, I'd take the deal for the Gophs.

Comment

With the limited time USA had to practice, it's impossible to make any judgments about what kind of job Rob Stauber is doing as coach. All you can say is that they don't look out of sorts as far as their team play is concerned. Just hope now that they didn't use up too much of the excitement and enthusiasm that was built up after all the drama they went through with USA Hockey.

THIS

(Nice to see the suits at USA Hockey at least being asked the obvious questions, but they PR-ed it all the way. Blah, blah, blah.)
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-31-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ship-1.4050718

Comment

The first U.S. goal reminded me a lot of the goal that basically started the 62-game winning streak: Megan Bozek picks up the puck below the goal line, goes end-to-end, curls around the nest, and makes a beautiful pass to a teammate on the back door (then Amanda Kessel; tonight Brianna Decker).

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Team USA looked good with not a lot of prep. Speed kills and Team USA has that in spades.
                    I thought it was the best game I've seen the Lamoureux twins play in awhile and no stupid penalties. Surprisingly not much mention of Knight tonight. Canada's play at the end did have a deja vu quality to the last Olympic game, thankfully without the Jenner goal and Poulin's goals to spoil it all.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-31-2017, 10:29 PM. Reason: Miss Langer
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      The first U.S. goal reminded me a lot of the goal that basically started the 62-game winning streak: Megan Bozek picks up the puck below the goal line, goes end-to-end, curls around the nest, and makes a beautiful pass to a teammate on the back door (then Amanda Kessel; tonight Brianna Decker).
                      I always thought she would have made a great forward, but her ability to carry the puck safely out of the Gopher defensive zone and that amazing slap shot realistically meant there was no other place she should be.

Comment

With the limited time USA had to practice, all you can say is that they don't look out of sorts as far as their team play is concerned.
                        Unintended consequences. Just think how much money will be saved on ice time, meals, housing, travel, etc., now that they can cut practicing out of their routine when they play so well without it. This could be a revolutionary change in Women's Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          I always thought she would have made a great forward, but her ability to carry the puck safely out of the Gopher defensive zone and that amazing slap shot realistically meant there was no other place she should be.
                          And congrats to Gigi Marvin on rejoining the team and scoring her first goal since 2013.

(they are still playing her Old Dutch commercial in these parts, https://youtu.be/ndS6HSvL5LU)
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Interesting, Blackbeard, that CBC Sports had to get their original recap (with its "full house," and the US "also" scoring in the second period) rewritten by someone who actually saw the game!
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-31-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if the game was archived to watch online anywhere?

I figured it would still be up on NHL.com, but I don't see it there anywhere. I've had no luck looking on TSN's site thinking maybe a Canadian stream would be available either. Best I've been able to find is a highlight clip.

Comment

OMG what an upset by Mississippi State. ESPN's Kate Fagan jinxed UConn by comparing them earlier today with North Dakota!
                                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-31-2017, 11:30 PM. Reason: The Fagan Jinx

Comment

Working...
                                X