Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Women's World Championships

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

I am very curious as to where the $85k figure comes from and what sort of mathematical gymnastics they are doing to get to that number.

Also interesting that USA Hockey is taking all of the credit for the growth of Womens Hockey and its success on the international level over the past 20 years. I'm sure the college programs that have grown, and are now bringing in top talent from all over the world have nothing to do with that.

At least I don't have to worry about trying to squeeze a trip to Michigan in between the mens and womens Frozen Fours anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Nowheresville View Post
    I am very curious as to where the $85k figure comes from and what sort of mathematical gymnastics they are doing to get to that number.

Also interesting that USA Hockey is taking all of the credit for the growth of Womens Hockey and its success on the international level over the past 20 years. I'm sure the college programs that have grown, and are now bringing in top talent from all over the world have nothing to do with that.

At least I don't have to worry about trying to squeeze a trip to Michigan in between the mens and womens Frozen Fours anymore...
    Ya, USA Hockey's response is a joke and totally inaccurate when it comes to developing girls' and women's hockey. They are still a boys club no matter how much credit they try to take for growing female hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhub View Post
    USA Hockey says they will field a team regardless:

http://www.excellesports.com/news/us...womens-strike/
    Man oh man oh man OH MAN.

This is ... problematic for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Man oh man oh man OH MAN.

This is ... problematic for the Olympics.
    The #1 topic this weekend won't be the Women's NCAA championships, but this.

Heck, I'd pay $5 more per year in dues if the extra $ was dedicated to the USWNT.

I think this whole thing is just fantastic. The players are completely controlling the narrative, had their facts ready, and came out with a unified front (player pool & U18s included). They're just killing it. They look like superheros and USA Hockey has some serious egg on their face.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I think this whole thing is just fantastic. The players are completely controlling the narrative, had their facts ready, and came out with a unified front (player pool & U18s included). They're just killing it. They look like superheros and USA Hockey has some serious egg on their face.
    Well, that's one way to look at it especially after Hockey USA's disingenuous and highly political and predictable response.

Did anyone check out the Lam's and Duggan's response below the article...used "dishonest" and "misleading" to describe USA Hockey's response. These are strong words. None of these three have reputations as being wallflowers, which is not a bad thing but they need to understand that these types of institutions are very political and care only about themselves...they have no moral code that they live by except that which is immediately convenient in achieving their goals...if you can help them achieve their goals, their way, then everything is just groovy, but if not...well,....

Could it be that these players, as well intentioned as they may be, are setting themselves up for an ambush...as in "we'll show you young punks who's in charge" and it's a scabbin' we will go?...with presently rostered players' names never to see the light of day again on said roster...sort of like what Reagan did/or tried to do to the air traffic controllers in the early '80's...make them irrelevant....thereby eliminating any bargaining power or leverage that they may have had and in doing so, automatically, quickly and inexpensively solving your problem?

Of course, the political cover would go something like this "USA Hockey, after intense deliberations over the past several years has decided to take the Women's National program in a different direction owing to the disappointing lack of Gold Medal success at the Olympics in recent years and would like to thank the players who have contributed to USA Hockey's involvement in the women's game and wish them all the best in their future endeavours".

Short, sweet and to the point...the political point. After the guillotine has been employed, the basket is covered and quickly removed. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

USA Hockey's attitude might be that if they cave here that they will just be setting themselves up for a repeat performance sometime in the future. If so, preempting the mutiny now, as painful as it might be, will be seen as a pretty logical solution to the present and future problems.

In other words, might the presently rostered players be actually creating their own playing demise?

Better to stop playing for a whore, if that's what you believe that you are playing for, than to actually be one yourself. There is still the question of integrity, principles, self esteem and the rest of your life to deal with and in which to deal with those concepts. Better to deal with them at peace with yourself, meaning at one with those concepts than not.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-15-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    What qualifies as a fair wage? An AHL comparable salary? And hows it compare to Canada? If I knew the Canadian girls facing the same issues on fan interest/low level low income pro leagues were getting significantly more support from hockey canada then as a USA fan Id be ****ed.

If its roughly even, much less so.
    Reading through the various articles, it looks like the members of Team Canada get $1,500 a month in stipends, which goes up to $4,000 a month once they are centralized. Team USA pays $1,000 a month after centralization, and nothing until then. So, I, too, would love to know where the $85,000 figure comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Reading through the various articles, it looks like the members of Team Canada get $1,500 a month in stipends...
    Roughly $1,182 in $US?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Roughly $1,182 in $US?
    That would be my guess, yes.

Roughly $1,182 in $US?
    US$1,128.4983 to be exact...not an extravagant lifestyle to be had on that. And the cost of living is higher in Canada for now, as it has been for, well, ever. So, the US stipend presently has greater purchasing power.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-15-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

Some more detail here, and following the article already 261 comments.

US women's hockey players threaten boycott over wages
    http://www.startribune.com/us-women-...BYyYoJB9E3rmeH
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Here's a bit of the Canadian slant on the issue...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...ages-1.4025895

So how much do countries other than US and Canada pay their women's national team players for these events or during Olympic years? I can't imagine they get very much.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    So how much do countries other than US and Canada pay their women's national team players for these events or during Olympic years? I can't imagine they get very much.
    I think one difference is the US is the only team to centralize for the whole olympic year other than Canada. The rest of the countries just come together for a couple/few weeks around the olympics. I don't think they don't come together every year multiple times as do the US and Canada.

Are we just fooling ourselves, pretending we are an ongoing team? Expecting all of these players to work out and perform as if they were full time athletes without giving them the means to do so and the system is finally breaking?

Some more detail here, and following the article already 261 comments.

US women's hockey players threaten boycott over wages
    http://www.startribune.com/us-women-...BYyYoJB9E3rmeH
    D2D, are the 261 comments ill-considered and shot from the hip?
    Or are they carefully considered, well informed comments

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    D2D, are the 261 comments ill-considered and shot from the hip?
    Or are they carefully considered, well informed comments
    I think you already know the answer.
    It seems long overdue for the men's program at the U to make a coaching change.

There was no joy in Orono.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    I think one difference is the US is the only team to centralize for the whole olympic year other than Canada. The rest of the countries just come together for a couple/few weeks around the olympics. I don't think they don't come together every year multiple times as do the US and Canada.

Are we just fooling ourselves, pretending we are an ongoing team? Expecting all of these players to work out and perform as if they were full time athletes without giving them the means to do so and the system is finally breaking?
    Its a tough spot....you cant really give out 4 year contracts....what if someone gets passed, cut, etc? You cant pick the team 4 years out.

Maybe a sponsor based model like track is the way to go? Get Nike or UA to pony up as part of the uniform deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Its a tough spot....you cant really give out 4 year contracts....what if someone gets passed, cut, etc? You cant pick the team 4 years out.

Maybe a sponsor based model like track is the way to go? Get Nike or UA to pony up as part of the uniform deal?
    You could have continuous contract that pays month to month. Once cut or replaced financial support ends. I'm sure the players would agree to that. Canada has found a way to give their players $1,500 per month all year every year and substantially more during Olympic year.

I think asking USA Hockey to get more on par with Hockey Canada Women's hockey is not too much to ask although Canadian government helps out with their athletes' compensation.

Thread Information