2017 Women's World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I did go to the NTDP/Minnesota game last October, and when the Gophers beat them 9-0 it made me wonder if USA Hockey should keep the program going.
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...7/16exhib.html
    Plattsburgh last hosted them in 2011. Cardinals lost 2-0. Goals by Nikolas Olsson (currently at BU) and Miles Koules (currently in the AHL after going the Major-Junior route). Ryan Hartman of the Chicago Blackhawks had an assist I. That game. Goalie was Jared Rutledge (played 10 games for Michigan, went back to Juniors, and now is doing even worse in DIII at Aurora...)

That same NDTP team beat Vermont the night before, 2-1.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Just saw on @iihf, that on bellmedia.ca website, TSN will broadcast the games in Canada.....anyone know if they'll be streamed or broadcast in the US?

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
        Just saw on @iihf, that on bellmedia.ca website, TSN will broadcast the games in Canada.....anyone know if they'll be streamed or broadcast in the US?
        NHL network I believe

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeygirlzmom View Post
          NHL network I believe
          I read somewhere that some games will be telecast live, others tape-delayed.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I read somewhere that some games will be telecast live, others tape-delayed.
            Finland and semifinal are delayed rest are live
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Wow, how do you really feel?! A nasty little attitude comes shooting out of your post, and you personalized it directly using two players in particular. What a nice guy you are. I guess the "wpi" in your handle must stand for "woefully p*ssed ignoramus."
              Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't make me an ignoramous or unenlightened. I prefer to keep my money in my own pocket, or use it to further my own kids dreams, rather than be forced to subsidize someone else's dream of becoming a professional athlete. A lot of hockey parents like myself are going to have to foot the bill for this when USA Hockey increases their dues. I can find a lot better uses for my money than this.
              Last edited by wpiguy; 03-30-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                How much money does USA Hockey make from the USA Men's National team? Yet, they pay for these multi-millionaires to bring a friend with them and for business class travel and per diem expenses.

How much of your dues is paying for these expenses for multi-millionaires? Where's your outrage in that?

Or, do you like to spend your hard earned money on multi-millionaires getting free transportation, free friend transportation, etc.? You must, because I don't see you b*tch*ng about multi-millionaires getting freebies off of your dues...
                I would be as equally as outraged if I had to pay for Phil Kessel to fly with a friend first class to the World Championships as I am having to pay for Hilary Knight to become a full time professional athlete on my dime. Does that answer your question.
                That argument doesn't work however because we all know the NHL and USA Hockey have a complicated agreement that includes things like travel. NHL players get very little in direct compensation from USA Hockey. Difficult to compare the two situations.
                Last edited by wpiguy; 03-30-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I find it more "interesting" that the NWHL cuts their players salary by 50% due to declining attendance back in November, and then amazingly just 4-5 months later USA Hockey is now supplementing their salary, opps I mean giving them equal opportunity.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                    I would be as equally as outraged if I had to pay for Phil Kessel to fly with a friend first class to the World Championships as I am having to pay for Hilary Knight to become a full time professional athlete on my dime. Does that answer your question.
                    That argument doesn't work however because we all know the NHL and USA Hockey have a complicated agreement that includes things like travel. NHL players get very little in direct compensation from USA Hockey. Difficult to compare the two situations.
                    It's nice to see that empathy is alive and well in America.

You may not like it, but I again advise you to actually read the Amateur Sports Act, as it is the federal law that covers this situation. You are correct that the NHL covers the wages of its players, and so direct payments from USA Hockey to the women's team players isn't covered. However, the travel arrangements are more complicated. Largely for tax and logistics reasons, the NHL gives money to USA Hockey, which then pays for the travel. This brings it under the purview of the ASA. Further, USAH pays for the men's players to bring a guest, both travel and lodging, even though the money it gets from the NHL does not cover this. It also provides disability insurance for the men, but not the women.

Again, like it or not, the United States decided several decades ago that the athletes on its national teams would be professionals rather than amateurs. As such, it provides financial support necessary to make this so. The alternative to the deal that was struck, aside from being illegal in several aspects, was a truly amateur team that is not competitive with Canada. Those were the alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      I find it more "interesting" that the NWHL cuts their players salary by 50% due to declining attendance back in November, and then amazingly just 4-5 months later USA Hockey is now supplementing their salary, opps I mean giving them equal opportunity.
                      Please elaborate on "interesting".. Are you ****ed that the best Women's hockey players in the USA might be "supported" by USA Hockey whom they represent and win Championships and Medals for?? This group of women inspires thousands of young girls to take up the sport of hockey!! Several women on the team don't even play for the NWHL! If USA hockey felt this group had no value to their model they would have forfeited the games after Scab-tactics failed terribly by epic solidarity by the sisters of the women's program all the way down to U18 level! You are obviously not a fan or respect the sport of Women's hockey and that is OK. You probably prefer men's and NHL hockey like most. What happened in this recent agreement will in no doubt give USA Women's National team the ability to field the BEST players in the country for their National team for the next 4 years and not just the amateurs unconcerned about a career or life future!

Comment

I followed the link to the article on NHL.com announcing that they will be streaming the USA games live, but can't find a link to the game stream or a mention of the game on the schedule. Anyone found the link? My cable provider does not offer NHL Network, despite my email request
                        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          I don't understand what you find interesting.

One is a business (NWHL) that has to stay profitable or go under. The other is a non-profit organization that must abide by the Amateur Sports Act.

It's not like all the players on NWHL suddenly got their pay supplemented by USA Hockey. Just the 25 or so women on the national team. A lot of other players in the NWHL are still getting their salaries cut by 50%, including all the Canadians.
                          Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-31-2017, 08:06 AM.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                            I hate to break it to you, but the majority of the travel costs and friend benefits are being paid out of your dues. And, the NHL only gives nice support during the Olympics. They don't do dip as far as I know for the World Championship team each year, which has to be paid for by USA Hockey.

So, I'm still waiting for your outrage.

Also, all this "the dues are going to be raised" shouting by you and Champs may end up being a knee jerk reaction. Just like you mention with the NHL, the money agreements are complicated. We have no idea if USA Hockey wasn't working deals with their sponsors during this whole negotiating period to help pay for part of this new contract with the women. We do know new marketing agreements with the women were put in place. What that means and whether it means bringing in more sponsors, we don't know.

There's lots of way to shuffle money around when you bring in over $41 million of revenue. It doesn't mean dues are suddenly going to go up.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              I followed the link to the article on NHL.com announcing that they will be streaming the USA games live, but can't find a link to the game stream or a mention of the game on the schedule. Anyone found the link? My cable provider does not offer NHL Network, despite my email request
                              If you don't get it on your cable, you are not going to be able to stream it. NHL Network will require you to sign in with your cable provider credentials. Then, they will know you don't get it, so you will be locked out.

Now, as far as streaming it illegally...
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                If you don't get it on your cable, you are not going to be able to stream it. NHL Network will require you to sign in with your cable provider credentials. Then, they will know you don't get it, so you will be locked out.

Now, as far as streaming it illegally...
                                I shall simply have to find a bar in the next town over, and ask politely if I can take shelter from the Nor'easter we will be in the height off and watch the game there. Maybe. C'mom Metrocast, woman up! What if someone I know does get the NHL Network at his home. Can we watch on my equipment at my home? I really don't know this answer. How far does big cable brother reach?
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X