Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    If USA Hockey didn't want players traveling to tournaments with a friend (or even a "friend"), they always had the option of not paying for their men's players to do so. If they don't, their legal obligation is to allow the women to do so as well. So long as it's USA Hockey paying, it doesn't matter how many paying customers those players may or may not have in an entirely different league. I advise reading the Amateur Sports Act of 1978, as amended in 1998.
    Kudos to the women from the NWT. I have sons and daughters. All played or still do play. I never put a financial stop on anyone of their development. I didn't set up a spreadsheet to project who could make the most money back for the family for dollars spent. They each received all the training which we could afford (no matter their gender)!!! I enjoy watching female hockey as much or more than male hockey (2 of my boys play pro in Europe).

None are married yet, but when it comes down to weddings, we will put as much into each wedding as the others. Or make it up in the will. haha

Many of my best employees are female and they work heavy equipment. So they are not holding highway signs. This is 2017, so those that have mommy issues or never had a sister should do some therapy, or read a little.

I find Pro hockey boring as H! Can't sit through a whole NHL game but have no problem watching good NCAA women's games. Went to a NHL game recently (Montreal/Avalanche) and the score got ran up quickly and after forking out $$$$'s was bored as crap. Women's hockey when played by the better teams is a gem. Best value for your dollar in my mind.

BTW, this is in agreement with the above comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      How much money does USA Hockey make from the USA Men's National team? Yet, they pay for these multi-millionaires to bring a friend with them and for business class travel and per diem expenses.

How much of your dues is paying for these expenses for multi-millionaires? Where's your outrage in that?

Or, do you like to spend your hard earned money on multi-millionaires getting free transportation, free friend transportation, etc.? You must, because I don't see you b*tch*ng about multi-millionaires getting freebies off of your dues...
      Winner
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        The mens U18 national team plays mens college teams, maybe the women could do the same although most of the teams are not up to Canada's level. It would be nice if the NC$$ would not count the games played against the national team in the total permitted for D-I teams as a way of promoting the game.
        The NCAA already does this. From the 2016-17 Division I Manual:

17.13.5.3 Annual Exemptions. The maximum number of ice hockey contests shall exclude the following:
        (Revised: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 9/6/00, 2/24/03, 1/14/08)
        (h) U.S. Olympic Team. One ice hockey contest each year against the U.S. Olympic ice hockey team during that team’s training for participation in the Winter Olympics; (Adopted: 1/16/93)
        (l) U.S. National Team. One game played against any team as selected and designated by the appropriate national governing body for ice hockey as a U.S. national team (e.g., “Under-21” U.S. national team);

So, they could play a game every season against every DI women's team, just like many men's teams play an annual game against the men's National U18 team. However, I think it would be unlikely to get many, if any, of the men's teams to play against the women's national team.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          The NCAA already does this. From the 2016-17 Division I Manual:

17.13.5.3 Annual Exemptions. The maximum number of ice hockey contests shall exclude the following:
          (Revised: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 9/6/00, 2/24/03, 1/14/08)
          (h) U.S. Olympic Team. One ice hockey contest each year against the U.S. Olympic ice hockey team during that team’s training for participation in the Winter Olympics; (Adopted: 1/16/93)
          (l) U.S. National Team. One game played against any team as selected and designated by the appropriate national governing body for ice hockey as a U.S. national team (e.g., “Under-21” U.S. national team);

So, they could play a game every season against every DI women's team, just like many men's teams play an annual game against the men's National U18 team. However, I think it would be unlikely to get many, if any, of the men's teams to play against the women's national team.

Sean
          Having seen the men's U18 team play in Plattsburgh several times, I personally would LOVE to see the women's U18 team do the same!
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            Having seen the men's U18 team play in Plattsburgh several times, I personally would LOVE to see the women's U18 team do the same!
            Except the men's U18 team is nationalized in Plymouth, MI while the women's U18 team is in high school.

What I'd like would be the USWNT play every NCAA D1 team on the road to Korea.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              I would love to have seen them against this year's team or the 15-16 Cardinals

Comment

Just got tickets to the Gold Medal game. Good seats still available apparently. I will be curious to see how big of a crowd there is. Obviously I am hoping for a US/Canada match. With the girls nationals that weekend not far from the World's I would expect some decent crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Except the men's U18 team is nationalized in Plymouth, MI while the women's U18 team is in high school.
                  The men's team that you're referencing is the National Team Development Program (NTDP) which actually has teams at both the U18 and U17 levels:
                  http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/

In the fall the U18's play exhibition games against D1 men's teams, and then go on to play a regular schedule in the USHL. Currently they are in 8th place in the USHL's Eastern Conference.
                  http://www.ushl.com/view/#/team-stats

The NTDP team(s) are not to be confused with the USA National U18 Team that's put together each year to play in the U18 World Championship (most - but not all - of the USA National U18 Team members are selected from the NTDP U18 team).

Finally, there is the USA National Junior Team which is basically a U20 all-star team mostly comprised of younger D1 players and various junior teams, including Canadian junior teams.
                  http://teamusa.usahockey.com/worldjuniors

A little confusing, but the confusion does point to the disparity that the men enjoy over the women from USA Hockey.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    In the fall the U18's play exhibition games against D1 men's teams, and then go on to play a regular schedule in the USHL. Currently they are in 8th place in the USHL's Eastern Conference.
                    http://www.ushl.com/view/#/team-stats
                    They also sometimes play games against D3 teams.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      They also sometimes play games against D3 teams.
                      Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I did go to the NTDP/Minnesota game last October, and when the Gophers beat them 9-0 it made me wonder if USA Hockey should keep the program going.
                      http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...7/16exhib.html
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I did go to the NTDP/Minnesota game last October, and when the Gophers beat them 9-0 it made me wonder if USA Hockey should keep the program going.
                        I was at that game as well. It gave me high hopes for the Gophers this year, but in reality the U18 team just wasn't very good. Quite the drop in talent from the 2005 team of Kessel, Stoa, Mueller, Jack and Erik Johnson and oh yeah, Nathan Gerbe. They did have a weird goalie though on the '05 team. Can't quite remember his name, but I think it rhymed with lazy and crazy.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          It's a USAH paid for recruiting trip.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            It's a USAH paid for recruiting trip.
                            Good point. The Gophers did get four players off that '05 team (Kessel, Stoa, Erik Johnson and the what's his name goalie ), but none this year that I know about.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-30-2017, 05:29 PM. Reason: The #1 draft pick guy

Comment

Did someone say Gerbe? What?
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                Did someone say Gerbe? What?
                                Yep. Good little hockey player. From Michigan, but played out east someplace, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X