• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Kevin Allen
    @ByKevinAllen
    Done deal. US women have a new contract and will play in World championships. Story coming
    Great news!
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

USAH release:

http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        We can't thank everyone who supported us enough but the terms of the agreement are none of your business.
        Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-28-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

now those Senators can go back to ignoring Women's hockey

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          We can't thank everyone who supported us enough but the terms of the agreement are none of your business.
          that's a disappointment, I was hoping to see if they received child care expenses and their SO travel costs paid for like they asked
          I'm pretty sure the men don't get that paid for
          Last edited by pokechecker; 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
            So, what kind of physical and emotional shape are these players going to be in this weekend? Are we to look for blowouts, one way or the other?
            Their first game is against Canada. I don't see USA winning that one at all. Heck, some of the players aren't even traveling till tomorrow. I believe the other teams have already arrived in Plymouth and been practicing.

However, I see no reason they won't work their way back to the gold medal game, and by then, anything can happen.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              They are still going to need second jobs.
              I take that back. They are not going to need a second job. They got a sweet deal, and can certainly make being a national team hockey player their sole job.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I have a feeling they're going to get a standing ovation when they take the ice Friday night against Canada. They might ride that emotional high to a victory.

Comment

E$PN article with some financial details.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_...-avoid-boycott
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    I take that back. They are not going to need a second job. They got a sweet deal, and can certainly make being a national team hockey player their sole job.
                    Yeah its a lot of money. Assuming this is a middle ground I wonder what their initial ask was. I think the 70k in the below espn link is more than some ahl players.

I wonder if theyll be adding more 4 nations type events or touring exhibitions. Its a lot to pay out for what ammounts to, what, 10 games a year?
                    Last edited by BoSox3066; 03-28-2017, 10:00 PM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

"The pressure to reach a resolution mounted more Monday, when 17 U.S. senators released a letter they sent to Ogrean and the federation criticizing the treatment of the women's team and stressing that USA Hockey is legally required by the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act to "provide equitable support and encouragement for participation."

So, if this is a legal requirement how did Hockey USA get away with it for so long? And, was this possibly used as leverage by the players in the negotiations?

And, if the details of the agreement were none of our business, where did the details come from?...as in, who spilled the beans?...so quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                        So, if this is a legal requirement how did Hockey USA get away with it for so long?
                        No one sued them. As I've said, they likely didn't have a case with regards to direct wages, as USA Hockey doesn't pay the men anything; the issue of unequal travel arrangements probably wouldn't be sufficient to produce a lawsuit on its own. No one with standing on the issue of unequal support for boys and girls development filed suit, and it's likely that fear of retribution was at least one hindering element.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          No one sued them...and it's likely that fear of retribution was at least one hindering element.
                          Yeah, I don't doubt that last part. We've discussed the topic before with respect to the power that a coach wields over those receiving scholarships...this is similar, don't bite the hand that is feeding you.

If you scroll down to the article beneath the announcement of the agreement there is another "alleged" prime example of this involving Bela Karolyi.

Anyway, good on the US women for standing up to these criminals.

Comment

Sooooo proud of all the players that said No to USA hockey to scab for the best women's hockey players in the country! Great support by the WNHL and the entire USA hockey player pool down to the U18's, to the D3 studs and the Beer League/Rec players that respected the sport and their hockey sisters enough to understand this movement was bigger than them!

Without that kind of solidarity no way this situation has the same great result
                            What a great day for women's hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                              I wonder if theyll be adding more 4 nations type events or touring exhibitions. Its a lot to pay out for what ammounts to, what, 10 games a year?
                              One of the key issues mentioned the whole time was the lack of games. The women wanted to play more, especially during the off Olympic years when they only played nine games a year. So, I'm sure more games will be scheduled.

Which brings about another question -- against whom? The only national team that can compete with USA is Canada (and Sweden once in a rare moment). So, who do you schedule to give them a fight? College teams like the USA men used to do back before the Olympic men teams were made up of pros?
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
                                Sooooo proud of all the players that said No to USA hockey to scab for the best women's hockey players in the country! Great support by the WNHL and the entire USA hockey player pool down to the U18's, to the D3 studs and the Beer League/Rec players that respected the sport and their hockey sisters enough to understand this movement was bigger than them!

Without that kind of solidarity no way this situation has the same great result
                                What a great day for women's hockey!
                                And Twolinepass still won't get it...

It is amazing how the entire women's hockey community stood firm.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X