2017 Women's World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    NHL -> USAH = $8.5 million. All of it goes to men.

Look at the tax return, either on Guidestar or on the USAH site. You can see where USAH spends our money.

http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/837015-financials
    $9.2 million according to those financial statements you pointed to. And that money goes to the USA Hockey Foundation portion of USA Hockey.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Pens4 View Post
      It’s sad that USA Hockey doesn’t see the opportunity in front of them. They have arguably the highest profile and most accomplished group of women hockey players in the history of the sport fighting to help you grow. USAH needs to change their labor dispute mindset to one of how they can utilize them to tap into the girls youth market.
      What is the downside of bringing them on as employees? Imagine going into the Olympic year with that group working to promote the growth of your girl’s membership. They are asking to play more games. You roll into the venue a couple days early and have the team members go out and run on or off ice promotional events in the surrounding communities. USAH has the women’s equivalent to Kane & Parise willing to make a commitment to help with their mandate to grow the sport.
      I understand why they don't want to make them actual employees. There are all sorts of issues relating to that. Many other sport organizations do not make their Olympic athletes employees.

Otherwise, I agree with what you say. And there are ways USA Hockey can adequately pay these athletes.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

“Efforts by U.S.A. Hockey to recruit adult recreation players [!!!] also failed.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/s...ef=todayspaper
        Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-28-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          This might get USA Hockey's attention:

16 U.S. Senators reprimand USA Hockey on treatment of USWNT
          https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/14...173715894.html
          Interesting that the very high majority of reactions to this article were not favorable to the Women's' team objective/complaints or the Senators involved.

Comment

So far I've been very impressed that players from D1 across to the ACHA teams have held firm, sacrificing what for many would be a personal opportunity of a lifetime for the good of the whole. I hope there aren't scab players who haven't come forward yet and this rejection from players far and wide get USAH to do the right thing by these women. I hope I'm not speaking to soon in thinking that the American working class can learn from this kind of solidarity....

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
              Interesting that the very high majority of reactions to this article were not favorable to the Women's' team objective/complaints or the Senators involved.
              NEVER read the comments section on any article related to a women's issue. It will be filled with the most misogynistic stuff you'll ever see
              "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                NEVER read the comments section on any article related to a women's issue. It will be filled with the most misogynistic stuff you'll ever see
                Never read the comments on a Yahoo article period

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                  lol............you think people have a vitriol button that gets pushed? I started to read some of the comments following the Mpls StartTribune article on this subject D2D referred us to recently........I would have been better of following your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    Never read the comments on a Yahoo article period
                    Good point! In fact a high percentage of Yahoo articles are garbage as well... usually a major bias promoting one particular angle

Comment

It would appear that Plattsburgh Sr. Erin Brand has joined the ranks of D3 players who have declined advances from USA Hockey.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        So far I've been very impressed that players from D1 across to the ACHA teams have held firm, sacrificing what for many would be a personal opportunity of a lifetime for the good of the whole. I hope there aren't scab players who haven't come forward yet and this rejection from players far and wide get USAH to do the right thing by these women. I hope I'm not speaking to soon in thinking that the American working class can learn from this kind of solidarity....
                        Ironically, I'm generally anti-union. But there are times when these movements serve a purpose and are needed. This is one of them.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                          The players obviously did a lot of prep work long before they made the announcement two weeks ago that they would be boycotting absent a renegotiated contract. It's all been well planned out, with enough thoroughness that this can't possibly have come as a surprise to USA Hockey. And yet, USAH has handled this incompetently in every way possible. They've stepped on rakes that didn't even exist.

The most telling element comes from the revelation that the players and USAH negotiators apparently had a tentative agreement on a deal last Monday, and yet the association came back Thursday with a different proposal, offering the players less than they had agreed to on Monday, as well as sending out the emails looking for replacement players. It's just inexcusable that the negotiators hadn't huddled with the board prior to those negotiations to discuss exactly what the boundaries were for a deal the board would accept. (Either that, or they did huddle and the negotiators exceeded their authority, which is also inexcusable.)

All that accomplished was demonstrating that there wasn't any point in the players continuing to talk to the USAH officials, since they clearly lacked the authority to strike a deal, along with destroying whatever trust remained. That's the moment this completely fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
                            Good point! In fact a high percentage of Yahoo articles are garbage as well... usually a major bias promoting one particular angle
                            Possibly true of Yahoo stories in general, but their hockey coverage, led by Greg Wyshynski, is pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              They don't have to. They can simply pay out stipends, very similar to the way USA Figure Skating does it.

As for sponsors footing the bill, sure that would work (that's a similar model to how USA Soccer supports their teams), but of course, you have to find the sponsors.
                              I guess my point is if there are market forces that bring the sponsors then awesome. And if not, well, the sport is a hobby and they can train when theyre not working like the rest of us. Ted Williams sold insurance when baseball had no revenue, etc.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                                I guess my point is if there are market forces that bring the sponsors then awesome. And if not, well, the sport is a hobby and they can train when theyre not working like the rest of us. Ted Williams sold insurance when baseball had no revenue, etc.
                                So, if I understand you correctly MLB was not making money when Ted Williams played and he played it as a hobby?

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X