Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    One of the key issues mentioned the whole time was the lack of games. The women wanted to play more, especially during the off Olympic years when they only played nine games a year. So, I'm sure more games will be scheduled.

Which brings about another question -- against whom? The only national team that can compete with USA is Canada (and Sweden once in a rare moment). So, who do you schedule to give them a fight? College teams like the USA men used to do back before the Olympic men teams were made up of pros?

They could scrimmage some of the Minnesota boy high school teams like they did back in 06. The USA Olympic team lost to the average Warroad Boys High School team. I think 2-1??? I am not sure how they would do against some of the top boy teams in the state of hockey but could give them the competition they will need to get past team Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
      They could scrimmage some of the Minnesota boy high school teams like they did back in 06. The USA Olympic team lost to the average Warroad Boys High School team. I think 2-1??? I am not sure how they would do against some of the top boy teams in the state of hockey but could give them the competition they will need to get past team Canada.
      As most of you know the HC team, when centralized play all of the Midget AAA boys team (I think twice during the 9 month period). For the guys teams, this is not a meaningless game. If the guys team wins it, it is worth 2 points to their season and in the league. I've been to a few of these games and they are sold out usually. Off the start the games are more or less split (W/L), then in the middle of the season the HC team usually wins most, and then by the end of the 30+ games they split again as the boys teams usually figure out their systems and need the extra 2 points.

I give Mel Davidson a lot of credit for setting this up with Hockey Alberta (the HC team is centralized in Calgary, AB). This is a great opportunity for great competition, and a very good money maker for the Midget AAA teams. I think the boys team gets the gate which on average is 1000+ X $10 to $15/ticket. Draws a bunch of interest, makes money and prepares HC's team. As tough as the Lam's are, or Knight, the boys bring it and your battling against some 6' 3'+ guys every other night.

Good on HC and Mel D for setting this up. I think this is the best way to get the HC team ready. The proof is in the pudding.

Comment

One of the key issues mentioned the whole time was the lack of games. The women wanted to play more, especially during the off Olympic years when they only played nine games a year. So, I'm sure more games will be scheduled.

Which brings about another question -- against whom? The only national team that can compete with USA is Canada (and Sweden once in a rare moment). So, who do you schedule to give them a fight? College teams like the USA men used to do back before the Olympic men teams were made up of pros?
        Doesn't the Canadian Women's National Team skate in a men's league, at least in the year leading up to the Olympics? Seems to prepare them pretty well.
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Im not sure. I think it was 2009, I saw them play a team of Hockey East allstars st the Whit in New Hampshire. Something like that? Or an NWHL non-Olympic allstar team?

Basically whatever will put families in the seats. Make it $10 a head or $5 for youth/high school players. Small gates better than no gate.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
            I went to their scrimmage game vs. Hopkins that year, and it was a very entertaining and close game that went down to the wire. As I recall the women won 6-5 but were hanging on at the end. So games like that have to be good for them. Pagel arena was also completely sold out, so it was a very exciting atmosphere.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

As I said in the other thread. Congrats on standing strong to the women. I just can't wait to see how much my USA Hockey fee goes up and if they start taking away some of the grants and things they do at the lower level to offset the 100k salaries. I'm sure it won't be coming out of the pockets of the suit and ties at USA Hockey.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Im not sure. I think it was 2009, I saw them play a team of Hockey East allstars st the Whit in New Hampshire. Something like that? Or an NWHL non-Olympic allstar team?

Basically whatever will put families in the seats. Make it $10 a head or $5 for youth/high school players. Small gates better than no gate.
                The mens U18 national team plays mens college teams, maybe the women could do the same although most of the teams are not up to Canada's level. It would be nice if the NC$$ would not count the games played against the national team in the total permitted for D-I teams as a way of promoting the game.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  Doesn't the Canadian Women's National Team skate in a men's league, at least in the year leading up to the Olympics? Seems to prepare them pretty well.
                  Also might explain why they play like thugs

Comment

And Twolinepass still won't get it...

It is amazing how the entire women's hockey community stood firm.
                    I was simply stating that I was surprised that some of the contacted replacement players did not say yes. For 99.99% of them, their hockey career is over after their last college game so why not say yes? Don't read too much into what I said.

I am happy for the national team players. They stuck it to the establishment. They get to do something they like to do and that they are very good at. And now they get paid a fair wage for all their efforts and don't have to produce any revenue like most of us 9 to 5ers. It is the perfect gig. But some times that revenue business catches up to you as we unfortunately heard from ND today.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      As I said in the other thread. Congrats on standing strong to the women. I just can't wait to see how much my USA Hockey fee goes up and if they start taking away some of the grants and things they do at the lower level to offset the 100k salaries. I'm sure it won't be coming out of the pockets of the suit and ties at USA Hockey.
                      Agreed. I think I know who will be footing the bill. That will be you and me. Cant wait to see those USA Hockey dues go up. And don't be fooled by the "we are doing this for future generations of female hockey players" mantra. This is about a miniscule percentage of female players who are tired of making ends meet and want to make hockey a full time vocation, even though there is no paying market to support said career. Therefore, the good hockey paying public is left to foot the bill once again. So when Earl and Sally from Edina sign up their kids to play youth hockey they better be ready to fork over more dough to UncleSam Hockey to get their kids on the ice. And if Earl or Sally want to coach said kids, they will also be paying more in dues. But the good news is Megan Duggan can train year around now without a pesky little thing like a job getting in the way and Hilary Knight can take a "friend" with her to Europe or Korea or wherever else the US team might be headed.
                      Last edited by wpiguy; 03-29-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                        Agreed. I think I know who will be footing the bill. That will be you and me. Cant wait to see those USA Hockey dues go up. And don't be fooled by the "we are doing this for future generations of female hockey players" mantra. This is about a miniscule percentage of female players who are tired of making ends meet and want to make hockey a full time vocation, even though there is no paying market to support said career. Therefore, the good hockey paying public is left to foot the bill once again. So when Earl and Sally from Edina sign up their kids to play youth hockey they better be ready to fork over more dough to UncleSam Hockey to get their kids on the ice. And if Earl or Sally want to coach said kids, they will also be paying more in dues. But the good news is Megan Duggan can train year around now without a pesky little thing like a job getting in the way and Hilary Knight can take a "friend" with her to Europe or Korea or wherever else the US team might be headed.
                        Wow, how do you really feel?! A nasty little attitude comes shooting out of your post, and you personalized it directly using two players in particular. What a nice guy you are. I guess the "wpi" in your handle must stand for "woefully p*ssed ignoramus."

Comment

If USA Hockey didn't want players traveling to tournaments with a friend (or even a "friend"), they always had the option of not paying for their men's players to do so. If they don't, their legal obligation is to allow the women to do so as well. So long as it's USA Hockey paying, it doesn't matter how many paying customers those players may or may not have in an entirely different league. I advise reading the Amateur Sports Act of 1978, as amended in 1998.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            Also might explain why they play like thugs
                            Ouch!
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Twolinepass View Post
                              I was simply stating that I was surprised that some of the contacted replacement players did not say yes. For 99.99% of them, their hockey career is over after their last college game so why not say yes? Don't read too much into what I said.
                              Okay. :-)

I am happy for the national team players. They stuck it to the establishment. They get to do something they like to do and that they are very good at. And now they get paid a fair wage for all their efforts and don't have to produce any revenue like most of us 9 to 5ers. It is the perfect gig. But some times that revenue business catches up to you as we unfortunately heard from ND today.
                              Many sports don't really produce revenue. They are supported by sponsor money. And how much revenue does college sports really produce? Hint, hardly any once you get past the major programs. Yet, our tuition money and tax dollars support the majority of those programs.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                                How much money does USA Hockey make from the USA Men's National team? Yet, they pay for these multi-millionaires to bring a friend with them and for business class travel and per diem expenses.

How much of your dues is paying for these expenses for multi-millionaires? Where's your outrage in that?

Or, do you like to spend your hard earned money on multi-millionaires getting free transportation, free friend transportation, etc.? You must, because I don't see you b*tch*ng about multi-millionaires getting freebies off of your dues...
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X