Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    Note that Finland is not a part of Scandanavia. I think you mean Team Nordic.
    According to Wikitravels and other sites, Finland is part of Scandanavia. Scandanavia = Nordic......Wow my life has boiled down to debating northern European countries and an having an enlarged liver. That UW loss sure didn't do much to make that any smaller by the way. Try and find a hardware store open on a Sunday in St. Louis in a nice neighborhood....
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
      Minnesota doesn't send any teams at any level if you exclude Shattuck. They chose not to send any of their Minn Elite teams. Last year they went only because Nationals were in Minn. Not sure if that is the height of arrogance or wise money management. I lean towards the former as the National championships are the National championships despite all the issues.
      MN is sending a U14 team to nationals this year. The District 6 Lakers.. Grace Zumwinkel's younger sister is on team. They are not listed on Myhockey Rankings but they are on U14 Nationals schedule. Not sure if the team has the top talent of the age or just a group that was up for attending.

Comment

From Webster:

Definition of Scandinavia

1. peninsula in northern Europe occupied by Norway and Sweden

2. Denmark, Norway, and Sweden
        Note: Some people also consider Iceland, the Faeroe Islands, and Finland to be part of Scandinavia.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          All four teams in Group A advance to the medal rounds. Top two teams get a bye to the semifinals, the bottom two play in the quarters against the top two teams from Group B.

The bottom two teams in Group B are eliminated.
          This is nothing new. It's been that way for a few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Wouldn't that only increase the number of lopsided games? Team Jamaica anyone?
            It would be make for more interesting matchups if they REDUCED the number of teams to perhaps four:
            Team USA
            Team Canada
            Team Nordic
            Team ROW (Rest of World; i.e. Swiss, Czechs, Russia, Japan, Italy, Jamaica, etc.)
            We don't need another iteration of the World Cup.....I like the idea of nationalistic pride being at steak, and people from that nation having something to root for that they can relate to. I meant who felt really really compelled to root for team North America in the recent World Cup ?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              With Canada now 0-2, what has to happen (besides beating Russia on Monday) for them to make the semifinal round and retain hope for a medal?
              I suspect there are two ways for Canada to get into the Medal Round:
              - Option 1: Canada Beats Russia in Regulation and USA beats Finland in Regulation. Result: Three way tie for 2nd between Finland/Russia/Canada. Canada could win the tie breaker ?. The record between tied teams is equal, 1 win and 1 loss each. I do not know the deal the next tie breaker, but likely a form of goal differential or plus minus either overall of just in games between the tied teams.
              - Option 2: Canada finishes 3th or 4th (either via above tie breaker, or on points). They can then win their quarter final to advance to the semi. If they finish in the 4 slot they would end up vs the USA in the Semi.

Long story short, it could be in the best interest of the USA team to NOT win outright over Finland. That would ensure Canada ends in the 3 spot if they beat Russia, so that the USA avoids a USA-Canada match-up in the semi. They will now for sure by the time they play and the CAN-RUS matchup is in the afternoon.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 04-03-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                I am going to throw a truth bomb.

ever since 2014, team canada women have not transitioned well at all since the retirement of leaders Wickenheiser, Ouellette, etc. Especially ouellette.
                Me thinks the struggles compared to the USA started well before the 2014 Olympics. The reality is that since the dominant performance in Turin in 2006, Canada has only won two worlds championships, in 2007 and in 2012. The USA has won 6 of the last 7 worlds since 2007. What is "hiding" this domination is that Canada managed to win the two Olympic golds in during that time period. The win is 2010 was driven partly by a partisan home crowd, and the emergence of a certain MPP on the scene. The win in 2014, yes while build partly on character, was in my opinion a combination of some luck, a turn of events that changed the momentum late in the game and smart coaching by a veteran NHL caliber coach.

The US has in general been the more speedy team during the last 10 years. That is partly due to the focus on that element in the US development program. You actually see the same trend amongst the men, where the US seems to be blessed with speed, compared to their counterparts.

The other factor in the women's games is grass roots growth. Numbers are still growing in the USA, but the numbers have been virtually flat in Canada for quite some time now.

Not sure what the right answer is, but in recent years, all I see is the USA team speed being too much for the Canadians on many occasions.

And yes the tourney is not over yet, (Remember 2012 when Canada reversed a round robin trashing on the hands of the US to a 3-2 win in the Final in Burlington), but in general the trend has been a faster US team winning more often than not over Canada.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 04-03-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  I suspect there are two ways for Canada to get into the Medal Round:
                  - Option 1: Canada Beats Russia in Regulation and USA beats Finland in Regulation. Result: Three way tie for 2nd between Finland/Russia/Canada. Canada could win the tie breaker ?. The record between tied teams is equal, 1 win and 1 loss each. I do not know the deal the next tie breaker, but likely a form of goal differential or plus minus either overall of just in games between the tied teams.
                  - Option 2: Canada finishes 3th or 4th (either via above tie breaker, or on points). They can then win their quarter final to advance to the semi. If they finish in the 4 slot they would end up vs the USA in the Semi.

Long story short, it could be in the best interest of the USA team to NOT win outright over Finland. That would ensure Canada ends in the 3 spot if they beat Russia, so that the USA avoids a USA-Canada match-up in the semi. They will now for sure by the time they play and the CAN-RUS matchup is in the afternoon.
                  Canada scores 3 goals in a little more than 2 minutes in the 1st period to grab a 3-0 lead.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Now 4-0 Canada at the end of one. Scoring summaries here:

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Te...ary?gameid=227
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Canadians looked sloppy until the first goal and I was starting to wonder who was available to talk suicide hotline operators off the ledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        The Canadians looked sloppy until the first goal and I was starting to wonder who was available to talk suicide hotline operators off the ledge.
                        Did they look as bad as, oh I don't know, Dartmouth?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          USA here (Rigsby, Decker, Duggan, Knight, but no Pankowski):
                          http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...-national-team

Canada here (Turnbull, Clarke, and Mikkelson, but no Desbiens and no Nurse)
                          https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Te...ers?teamid=179

(On the UW web site, Clarke said something about working out this week with Nurse that led me to think Nurse was going to be playing as well, but I guess not.)
                          Any clue why ARD is not here? I think they could have used her.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Canada can look on the bright side....at least Schuler won't be the Olympic coach next year judging by these results so far. One would think they'll have fresh blood...probably a guy who has never coached girls or women before but he'll be a buddy of Mel's who will have played in the NHL although I thought Schuler was one of her pets too and that's how she got this assignment. Can you say, "Time for fresh faces all the way to the top"?!
                            lol!

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Did they look as bad as, oh I don't know, Dartmouth?
                            too funny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Interesting to see Pannek and Stecklein have transferred to UMD.
                              They're just girls, nobody at USAH cares enough and besides all those schools out there are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                Did you have access to the games online? If so, where?

Comment

Working...
                                X