Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Women's World Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Germany had fewer shots (8) than the U.S. had goals (11).
    We could have pulled the goalie for 60:00 and still won.

Shoot the Puck :)

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    It was awfully painful to watch. Not sure it helps in any way to prepare for Canada.
    More of a rest than Canada had.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    We could have pulled the goalie for 60:00 and still won.
    "We"?? Are you on the team?!

They could have played the whole game shorthanded and still won probably 5-0. It was awful hockey to watch so I just kept it on in the background while watching regular TV. Every time I turned around they had scored another goal. I felt sorry for Germany. They looked like a U14 team out there.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Germany had fewer shots (8) than the U.S. had goals (11).
    Even though my beloved Germans took it on the chin from my beloved Americans AGAIN, I do just love a good butt whipping like that, kinda like UW against Lindenwood years ago. Getting to do 11 sieve chants in one game is a big treat. I hope the US pours it on the Canadians like that.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

I wrote a (somewhat BC-focused) preview for tonight's game: http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/4...ime-tv-channel

"We"?? Are you on the team?!

They could have played the whole game shorthanded and still won probably 5-0. It was awful hockey to watch so I just kept it on in the background while watching regular TV. Every time I turned around they had scored another goal. I felt sorry for Germany. They looked like a U14 team out there.
    Sorry Kimosabe. We as in the United States of which, last I looked, I am a citizen thereof.

However, I understand and "they" would have been a more appropriate term.

But then what do I call the Canadians tonight??

Sorry Kimosabe. We as in the United States of which, last I looked, I am a citizen thereof.

The Devil?

"The bad guys", "The opposition", "The Canucks" are a few things that come to mind...that are polite enough to type here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Even though my beloved Germans took it on the chin from my beloved Americans AGAIN, I do just love a good butt whipping like that, kinda like UW against Lindenwood years ago. Getting to do 11 sieve chants in one game is a big treat. I hope the US pours it on the Canadians like that.
    do you also enjoy making fun of the handicapped? I don't think 11-0 is fun for anyone, not challenge for the winner, no chance for the loser and boring for the viewer. I'd rather watch a well contested game between equals. A sieve chant against ARD or Peters is a sign of respect, against someone being shelled it is an insult.

any normal person knew what you meant by "we", don't sweat it. I assume he was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    do you also enjoy making fun of the handicapped?
    Yikes that's a bit of a jump...

Nothing new for years in your last sentence. Don't ever see that changing, ever.
    In the past 10 years, the gap between the top two teams and the rest of the world appears to be growing, not shrinking. Without any evidence at all, I attribute this to the European teams treading water while the Americans and Canadians are getting better. It remains to be seen if the Americans are starting to put distance between themselves and the Canadians, but I believe Canada will respond appropriately, and future Canadian teams will feature enough speed to keep pace with the US.

However, any sport that continues to have such non-competitive quarterfinal and semifinal matches is going to have to justify continuing as an Olympic sport. The women's game is not really a world sport, but a regional one. I would love to be proven wrong, but that rarely occurs more than a dozen times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    In the past 10 years, the gap between the top two teams and the rest of the world appears to be growing, not shrinking.
    Hard to argue but I do think Finland exceeded expectations, having surprised Canada and giving the U.S. all they could handle, with the game very much still on the line until the empty netter in the final minute. But other than Finland I would agree that the other teams still don't have a realistic chance of upsetting the Americans or the Canadians. Sweden in particular has seemingly gone downhill since winning Silver in 2006.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

The semi finals were on TV (TSN) here and so will the Bronze Medal Game this afternoon. But no where to be found on TV here is the Gold Medal Game tonight. How does this make any sense? (Although it looks like it will be streamed on TSN 4 & 5).

Let's go RED!

do you also enjoy making fun of the handicapped? I don't think 11-0 is fun for anyone, not challenge for the winner, no chance for the loser and boring for the viewer. I'd rather watch a well contested game between equals. A sieve chant against ARD or Peters is a sign of respect, against someone being shelled it is an insult.
    All parties can gain something tangible from a butt kicking. The winner undoubtedly will have some players who probably don't get to contribute all the time get to contribute and they can gain some valuable playing time and confidence. The loser will have some players who learn from the experience and the the viewer such as me has a fun time watching. The opposing team's viewers can see some great play by the winner.

I like to play tennis. One summer I played weekly against a co-worker who was a lot better than me. I got crushed game after game but I still played. I had fun playing, trying to deal with this guy. If I won a game, I was pumped, though I lost 6-1 and he might have aced me 12 times. By the end of the summer instead of losing 6-0 or 6-1, I was only losing 6-3 or 6-4. I think the "Lindenwood" players feel/felt the same way I did, otherwise they would not play at all.

I have a daughter who IS mentally handicapped, she is my hockey buddy, and let me tell you, if we get to see UW score a bunch of goals, she's happier than me. She might say with an exclamation "8?!" and have the biggest grin on her face, you'd thin she won the ability to be "normal". She "loses" every day by our standards, but that big amazing win for the Badgers is a big win for her. I am thankful Maddy and I are in the position that we are associated with a team like UW that can give her some more reasons to be joyous and happy.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Yikes that's a bit of a jump...
    True, my bad. I really wanted to go with a big bully against a weak target but went the wrong way.

Having played on teams that won 11-0 and on teams that were totally outclassed I don't find either fun.

Having played on teams that won 11-0 and on teams that were totally outclassed I don't find either fun.
    My intramural hockey team lost 11-0 in the finals my senior year. It ended in a fight lol

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I wrote a (somewhat BC-focused) preview for tonight's game: http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/4...ime-tv-channel
    Corrected one sentence in your Bc centric article:

Bobby Orr (really), as she pioneered the programís three-zone, below-the-goal-line, bombís-away defensive style that has made Boston College the 2nd most dominant team in the east (behind Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Corrected one sentence in your Bc centric article:

Bobby Orr (really), as she pioneered the programís three-zone, below-the-goal-line, bombís-away defensive style that has made Boston College the 2nd most dominant team in the east (behind Clarkson)
    You missed the important qualifier that I put: CONSISTENTLY

6-0 Finland. Shots are 23-4. This needs a Downfall meme.

Thread Information