2017 Women's World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Would a team of college age players not boycotting be a shoe in for silver?

Say kids that are D1 conference all stars but have no shot at the Olympics?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      Would a team of college age players not boycotting be a shoe in for silver?

Say kids that are D1 conference all stars but have no shot at the Olympics?
      That's would be interesting to see. It puts those players in a very difficult position to either show support by not playing either, or take this once in a lifetime opportunity to show their stuff. I'd play if I was asked to fill in a spot on the "scab team."

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        That's would be interesting to see. It puts those players in a very difficult position to either show support by not playing either, or take this once in a lifetime opportunity to show their stuff. I'd play if I was asked to fill in a spot on the "scab team."
        If I was 18 and had a chance to be on the team in 2018, 2022 and behind I probably wouldnt. If I was college senior that was bascially hanging them up, I think I would jump at it.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

USA Hockey says they will field a team regardless:

http://www.excellesports.com/news/us...womens-strike/

Comment

What qualifies as a fair wage? ....And hows it compare to Canada? If I knew the Canadian girls facing the same issues on fan interest/low level low income pro leagues were getting significantly more support from hockey canada then as a USA fan Id be ****ed.

If its roughly even, much less so.
            I don't know what a fair wage is, but giving them $1000 a month while they prepare for the Olympics and next to nothing the rest of the time isn't a fair amount.
            The Canucks do receive a small amount in non-Olympic years, and it seems to me that explains why nearly all of the US players left the CWHL and went "pro" in the NWHL, to get monetary support they weren't getting from USA hockey

Comment

I am very curious as to where the $85k figure comes from and what sort of mathematical gymnastics they are doing to get to that number.

Also interesting that USA Hockey is taking all of the credit for the growth of Womens Hockey and its success on the international level over the past 20 years. I'm sure the college programs that have grown, and are now bringing in top talent from all over the world have nothing to do with that.

At least I don't have to worry about trying to squeeze a trip to Michigan in between the mens and womens Frozen Fours anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                I am very curious as to where the $85k figure comes from and what sort of mathematical gymnastics they are doing to get to that number.

Also interesting that USA Hockey is taking all of the credit for the growth of Womens Hockey and its success on the international level over the past 20 years. I'm sure the college programs that have grown, and are now bringing in top talent from all over the world have nothing to do with that.

At least I don't have to worry about trying to squeeze a trip to Michigan in between the mens and womens Frozen Fours anymore...
                Ya, USA Hockey's response is a joke and totally inaccurate when it comes to developing girls' and women's hockey. They are still a boys club no matter how much credit they try to take for growing female hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
                  USA Hockey says they will field a team regardless:

http://www.excellesports.com/news/us...womens-strike/
                  Man oh man oh man OH MAN.

This is ... problematic for the Olympics.
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    Man oh man oh man OH MAN.

This is ... problematic for the Olympics.
                    The #1 topic this weekend won't be the Women's NCAA championships, but this.

Heck, I'd pay $5 more per year in dues if the extra $ was dedicated to the USWNT.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I think this whole thing is just fantastic. The players are completely controlling the narrative, had their facts ready, and came out with a unified front (player pool & U18s included). They're just killing it. They look like superheros and USA Hockey has some serious egg on their face.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        I think this whole thing is just fantastic. The players are completely controlling the narrative, had their facts ready, and came out with a unified front (player pool & U18s included). They're just killing it. They look like superheros and USA Hockey has some serious egg on their face.
                        Well, that's one way to look at it especially after Hockey USA's disingenuous and highly political and predictable response.

Did anyone check out the Lam's and Duggan's response below the article...used "dishonest" and "misleading" to describe USA Hockey's response. These are strong words. None of these three have reputations as being wallflowers, which is not a bad thing but they need to understand that these types of institutions are very political and care only about themselves...they have no moral code that they live by except that which is immediately convenient in achieving their goals...if you can help them achieve their goals, their way, then everything is just groovy, but if not...well,....

Could it be that these players, as well intentioned as they may be, are setting themselves up for an ambush...as in "we'll show you young punks who's in charge" and it's a scabbin' we will go?...with presently rostered players' names never to see the light of day again on said roster...sort of like what Reagan did/or tried to do to the air traffic controllers in the early '80's...make them irrelevant....thereby eliminating any bargaining power or leverage that they may have had and in doing so, automatically, quickly and inexpensively solving your problem?

Of course, the political cover would go something like this "USA Hockey, after intense deliberations over the past several years has decided to take the Women's National program in a different direction owing to the disappointing lack of Gold Medal success at the Olympics in recent years and would like to thank the players who have contributed to USA Hockey's involvement in the women's game and wish them all the best in their future endeavours".

Short, sweet and to the point...the political point. After the guillotine has been employed, the basket is covered and quickly removed. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

USA Hockey's attitude might be that if they cave here that they will just be setting themselves up for a repeat performance sometime in the future. If so, preempting the mutiny now, as painful as it might be, will be seen as a pretty logical solution to the present and future problems.

In other words, might the presently rostered players be actually creating their own playing demise?

Better to stop playing for a whore, if that's what you believe that you are playing for, than to actually be one yourself. There is still the question of integrity, principles, self esteem and the rest of your life to deal with and in which to deal with those concepts. Better to deal with them at peace with yourself, meaning at one with those concepts than not.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

What qualifies as a fair wage? An AHL comparable salary? And hows it compare to Canada? If I knew the Canadian girls facing the same issues on fan interest/low level low income pro leagues were getting significantly more support from hockey canada then as a USA fan Id be ****ed.

If its roughly even, much less so.
                          Reading through the various articles, it looks like the members of Team Canada get $1,500 a month in stipends, which goes up to $4,000 a month once they are centralized. Team USA pays $1,000 a month after centralization, and nothing until then. So, I, too, would love to know where the $85,000 figure comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            Reading through the various articles, it looks like the members of Team Canada get $1,500 a month in stipends...
                            Roughly $1,182 in $US?
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Roughly $1,182 in $US?
                              That would be my guess, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Roughly $1,182 in $US?
                                US$1,128.4983 to be exact...not an extravagant lifestyle to be had on that. And the cost of living is higher in Canada for now, as it has been for, well, ever. So, the US stipend presently has greater purchasing power.
                                Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-15-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X