Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Surprisingly not much mention of Knight tonight.

I only saw bits and pieces, but there was a shot and rebound, middle of the third period, where Knight flat-out whiffed on the putback that would have been a sure goal. VERY unlike her. Must be catching from other Badger forwards this month.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      Interesting, Blackbeard, that CBC Sports had to get their original recap (with its "full house," and the US "also" scoring in the second period) rewritten by someone who actually saw the game!
      Yeah, journalism is a dying profession...almost dead. The most highly sought after skill is the ability to cut and paste.

Comment

Interesting article from a couple of days ago...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/us...deal-1.4045933

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
          Does anyone know if the game was archived to watch online anywhere?

I figured it would still be up on NHL.com, but I don't see it there anywhere. I've had no luck looking on TSN's site thinking maybe a Canadian stream would be available either. Best I've been able to find is a highlight clip.
          According to my guide NHL Network will show an abbreviated version of the game at 2:00pm ET tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. USA vs. Russia immediately follows.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            I only saw bits and pieces, but there was a shot and rebound, middle of the third period, where Knight flat-out whiffed on the putback that would have been a sure goal. VERY unlike her. Must be catching from other Badger forwards this month.
            I noticed that play, too. There was another play that they credited Fortino with a great defensive play on TV, but I thought the puck just hopped over Knight's stick. I would think Knight will have a more productive game in the likely rematch.
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-31-2017, 11:49 PM. Reason: Two plays
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

USA kicked azz.

Thought the BC players looked excellent. Carp was dishing sauce all over the place. Flanagan absolutely belongs on this roster.

I'm happy.
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                And congrats to Gigi Marvin on rejoining the team and scoring her first goal since 2013.

(they are still playing her Old Dutch commercial in these parts, https://youtu.be/ndS6HSvL5LU)
                I always liked Gigi marvin. I did not mind her scoring the goal. At least it was not duggan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Good game. I blame Team USA.

Canada needs to spring Spooner with a few feet to work...such a phenomenal wrist shot (as she showed in the first period) and ultra dangerous on a breakaway.

Canada hasn't scored in over 7 periods at the worlds! Credit the US with a lot of that...constantly took away space and time from Canada in the US zone tonight. Superior speed will allow you to do that.

Canada's defense was starting to make mistakes in the third and taking too long to make decisions although.
                  Rougeau needs to be better. I am surprised by her today.

Sorry but fortino and number 38 are the only reliable defenceman that canada has.

Comment

I was actually surprised by USA's dominating speed and energy tonight ,,, They seemed like a group that just got paid for being the ROCKSTARS they are!! Must feel good to for the first time in your life that you can earn a possible living off being the best women's hockey players in the world!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                      I always liked Gigi marvin. I did not mind her scoring the goal. At least it was not duggan.
                      so why are you a Duggan hater?? I do not know much about her but if she is the captain of this great group of women I give her respect.. I do know she was instrumental on getting the new deal done to improve the lives of Women's national hockey team players for the next 4 years,, She personally called 100+ players to form solidarity!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        You are in a very bad place my friend. Erase the bad thoughts about UW hockey, there's so much to be proud of. On Wisconsin and Forever Forward!
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          The NCAA already does this. From the 2016-17 Division I Manual:

17.13.5.3 Annual Exemptions. The maximum number of ice hockey contests shall exclude the following:
                          (Revised: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 9/6/00, 2/24/03, 1/14/08)
                          (h) U.S. Olympic Team. One ice hockey contest each year against the U.S. Olympic ice hockey team during that team’s training for participation in the Winter Olympics; (Adopted: 1/16/93)
                          (l) U.S. National Team. One game played against any team as selected and designated by the appropriate national governing body for ice hockey as a U.S. national team (e.g., “Under-21” U.S. national team);

So, they could play a game every season against every DI women's team, just like many men's teams play an annual game against the men's National U18 team. However, I think it would be unlikely to get many, if any, of the men's teams to play against the women's national team.

Sean
                          Did not know that, thanks. It sure would be fun to see the at the HoF instead of MSU or SCSU. Though the Gophers would get killed

Comment

No, nothing really new here . . . just for junkies:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/s...ef=todayspaper

But this is good: “We have so much respect for each other that you literally want to throw them into the glass whenever you play them.” (Knight)

I should add, what is new is that these women's games are actually getting this kind of coverage.
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 04-01-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

The Germany/Czech Republic game was not very exciting. By the third period, I was wondering whether Crazy Dave and I could start a fight by chanting, "Remember the Sudetenland!"

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                Did not know that, thanks. It sure would be fun to see the at the HoF instead of MSU or SCSU. Though the Gophers would get killed
                                Back in 2010, Team USA did play at least a few games against college teams. They beat up on Wisconsin 9-0, but Minnesota only lost 8-5 (and the Gophers and Team USA were tied after 2). I don't remember if they played against anyone else tuning up for those Olympics.

I don't know why Team USA didn't play any college teams in 2014 (or maybe they did, and I just don't remember), but both Minnesota and Wisconsin played Team Japan to kick off their 2013-14 seasons.

Hopefully we'll see some of those games again next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X