2017 Women's World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

@walsha: Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men's World Championships in solidarity with the women.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Are you seriously blaming this all on the NWHL?

Sean
      I'm attributing it, at least in part, to the failure of the NWHL
      http://deadspin.com/where-does-the-n...ere-1791350348

yes, they deserve more financial support, but you can't get blood out of a turnip

"Those demands never panned out, because the players had no leverage. Players still don’t know the identity of all the investors, and Rylan wouldn’t specify to Deadspin what exactly the league miscalculated in terms of revenue, just that “it was harder to close deals than we had anticipated and harder to sell tickets.”"
      Last edited by pokechecker; 03-26-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCAlum
        I don't buy it. My daughter is not good enough to play Olympic level hockey, and as such will not be asked to be a "scab." But are the girls/women who play really scabs? There is no union, so no true picket line. What if you disagree with the argument of the players formerly on the National Team? If you disagree and agree to play, I don't see it as a scab situation.
        BTW, I think this is bad for everyone. There are no winners, only who loses less. Some women will eventually be made an example of at a later date. a 3rd or 4th liner, a 5th, 6th or 7th D. You know it is going to happen. I am not saying they should be, but I see it happening. Plenty of fault to go around and just a shame it has gone this far. Work it out people!
        How old is your daughter? If she plays maybe she can win gold by herself! You go girl!

I don't see any future coach making an example of any players. That goes against trying to win over Canada which is the top goal in these events. No coach is going to risk his/her reputation by losing because they chose to punish players that boycotted or supported the boycott. USA Hockey is the only loser here.
        Last edited by shelfit; 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          @walsha: Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men's World Championships in solidarity with the women.
          If this is true, wow. Simply wow.

And USA Hockey is boned. There is no way to spin themselves out of this.
          Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by BCAlum
            I don't buy it. My daughter is not good enough to play Olympic level hockey, and as such will not be asked to be a "scab." But are the girls/women who play really scabs? There is no union, so no true picket line. What if you disagree with the argument of the players formerly on the National Team? If you disagree and agree to play, I don't see it as a scab situation.
            If you want to play the semantics game (or are an English teacher LOL), you are correct.

But in the spirit of the word, using that word gets the point across.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              If you want to play the semantics game (or are an English teacher LOL), you are correct.

But in the spirit of the word, using that word gets the point across.
              Which is exactly why I used it.

Comment

That's too bad, I don't understand why some of these players have said no. Former D-III players are not going to ever play on the national team. They are probably not going to play in the NWHL as that is a temporary parking spot for national team players. And besides, they probably could not afford to as they are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt(unlike the national team former D-I players). Your future hockey career is the Saturday night beer league. So why not take a shot? Probably because of fear of what the elite might say about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolinepass View Post
                  That's too bad, I don't understand why some of these players have said no. Former D-III players are not going to ever play on the national team. They are probably not going to play in the NWHL as that is a temporary parking spot for national team players. And besides, they probably could not afford to as they are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt(unlike the national team former D-I players). Your future hockey career is the Saturday night beer league. So why not take a shot? Probably because of fear of what the elite might say about you.
                  Or, maybe, they think it's about more than themselves. Probably some in both camps, to be honest, and those of us on the outside have no way of knowing the relative proportions.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    According to NBC Sports, Hockey Night in Canada is reporting the same thing based on their discussions with American players.

This is getting very interesting...
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

All Abooaarrd!

Apparently the NBA, NFL, and MLB players' unions are all jumping on the support train...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...omen-1.4041978

Comment

Maybe the D3 players don't want to get stomped by canada? Although I find the social media ridicule about D3 players being asked laughable. High end D3 kids are better than or the same as bench level D1 kids in many cases.

I still dont know they have the leverage they need. Say the US men skip. So what? Does that make sportscenter? The over whwlming majority of sports fans in this country dont know the mens worlds exist, never mind womens worlds.

The support of the mens PAs is great to a point. They bargain for percentages and shares of huge revenue pools. Wheres that pool for womens hockey?

As much as usa hockey may have overplayed its hand, i fear social medias been an echo chamber on it too. Most of the sports/non hockey boards I read dont have threads on it. It may not be as "big" as it appears.
                        Last edited by BoSox3066; 03-27-2017, 12:15 AM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Maybe the D3 players don't want to get stomped by canada? Although I find the social media ridicule about D3 players being asked laughable. High end D3 kids are better than or the same as bench level D1 kids in many cases.

I still dont know they have the leverage they need. Say the US men skip. So what? Does that make sportscenter? The over whwlming majority of sports fans in this country dont know the mens worlds exist, never mind womens worlds.

The support of the mens PAs is great to a point. They bargain for percentages and shares of huge revenue pools. Wheres that pool for womens hockey?

As much as usa hockey may have overplayed its hand, i fear social medias been an echo chamber on it too. Most of the sports/non hockey boards I read dont have threads on it. It may not be as "big" as it appears.
                          What I fear is that if this thing doesn't get settled, the end result could be a huge setback for women's hockey in the U.S.
                          If, for whatever reason, USA hockey refuses to compromise by offering an acceptable proposal to the national team players, and should the standstill/lack of an agreement continue into the next year, is it possible that the USA would not be represented in next year's Olympics? The one event all the current national team players have been in training for (while mostly supporting themselves) the past three plus years? The way things seem to be headed now, all of the players on the USA National Team roster would not play, nor would most (or all?) of the alternates that USA Hockey has reportedly contacted and asked to play, in the upcoming Worlds tournament. But how likely would this non-participation from the world stage carry over to next year's Olympics, the one women's hockey event that hockey fans generally might pay attention to?
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Apparently Adrian College seniors and alumni played Switzerland in an exhibition game yesterday and lost 10-1. No report on which AC players particpated.
                            This has been on the Swiss team schedule for some time - so it does not appear to be something involving replacement players.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                              It's huge, and it has nothing to do with public opinion.

You don't compete in the World's, guess what happens? You get RELEGATED! Can you imagine Team USA getting relegated? All kinds if ramifications to that.

The World's also sets the Olympic field, with a caveat. If the NHL competes in the Olympics, they demand certain countries are in the tournament regardless of their relegation status. But if not, it's possible the Men USA team doesn't qualify for the Olympics (though, I think it's too late to have an effect for the upcoming Olympics).

Then, there is the whole boycott thing. After the 1980 and 1984 Olympic boycotts, the IOC put down stringent rules punishing countries for boycotting the Olympics.

I wonder what the IIHF has for such a thing? Would they ban the USA from other tournaments as punishment? Even the WJC which is in Buffalo next year?

Like I said earlier, this is getting very interesting. And so far, USA Hockey continues to not only lose face, but lose any positioning they have on this matter.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                Then, there is the whole boycott thing. After the 1980 and 1984 Olympic boycotts, the IOC put down stringent rules punishing countries for boycotting the Olympics.

I wonder what the IIHF has for such a thing? Would they ban the USA from other tournaments as punishment? Even the WJC which is in Buffalo next year?
                                Here are some excerpts from the IIHF Statutes and Bylaws. Some of it is typical open ended language.

28. Suspension of a Member National Association

Council may temporarily suspend a Member National Association after written notice if its members, clubs, teams, officials, etc.:
                                 have been deemed to have brought the sport into disrepute;
                                 have repeatedly failed in their responsibilities towards the IIHF; or
                                 have acted seriously contrary to the Statutes, Bylaws, Regulations or decisions of the IIHF.

The Member National Association and/or said bodies or persons will be informed about such suspension. Suspensions of Member National Associations will be submitted for ratification by the next Congress. However, if such decision is not ratified, the Member National Association shall not have any right of action against the IIHF.

A suspended Member National Association will have no vote at Congress and all teams and players registered with this Member National Association will not be allowed to participate in any international competitions and games during the period of the suspension.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X