2017 Women's World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Hard for me and most others to comment because I don't know enough about the situation like the majority of Americans. That makes their stance pretty difficult, not because they aren't right but because most people don't even know if they're right.

Comment

USA Hockey gives women deadline on threatened boycott

USA Hockey has reached out by email to all 23 members of the U.S. women's national team and given them a deadline of 5 p.m. ET Thursday to individually confirm whether they intend to play in the IIHF World Championships that begin March 31 in Plymouth, Michigan, according to federation spokesman Dave Fischer.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...atened-boycott

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

USA Hockey has reached out by email to all 23 members of the U.S. women's national team and given them a deadline of 5 p.m. ET Thursday to individually confirm whether they intend to play in the IIHF World Championships that begin March 31 in Plymouth, Michigan, according to federation spokesman Dave Fischer.

The gloves have been dropped...
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

A little of the divide and conquer routine.

On the surface it's the right and logical thing to do, so they will earn points with the public/media, but under the hood they know full well that some players might cave and, if so, the players' house of cards comes tumbling down.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            The gloves have been dropped...
            Gophers have Kelly Pannek and Lee Stecklein that get to be distracted by this in St Louis.

Who from Wisconsin and BC are there? Is it just Pankowski and Keller?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              A little of the divide and conquer routine.

On the surface it's the right and logical thing to do, so they will earn points with the public/media, but under the hood they know full well that some players might cave and, if so, the players' house of cards comes tumbling down.
              I have nowhere near a good grasp of this. But I guess I hope all 23 players stand together.

Comment

I think the boys have an NDP to get more Americans in the NHL and to get growth in college hockey. Is there a similar path for women? The mens NDP tours and plays mens colleges and feeds off exhibition games season ticket holders have to buy. Is that going to work on the womens side?

Lots of interesting arguments about centealized training in the soccer world, I'm not even sure it'd be a good thing for the game

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Gophers have Kelly Pannek and Lee Stecklein that get to be distracted by this in St Louis.

Who from Wisconsin and BC are there? Is it just Pankowski and Keller?
                  Pankowski is not on the roster, at least yet. BC also has Kali Flanagan. So two each from Minnesota and B.C.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...-national-team

Hopefully this gets resolved before they hit the ice in St. Charles.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Some more detail here, and following the article already 261 comments.

US women's hockey players threaten boycott over wages
                    http://www.startribune.com/us-women-...BYyYoJB9E3rmeH
                    Wow. I got through about 15 comments & had to stop before I lashed out at the next person to come near me. Why all the vitriol? My goodness that made me bitter! 250 of the 261 have probably never watched the women play and 200 of those probably have not seen the men. They are just bitter , angry people THAT I NOW HATE. I am so glad they took a break from the lame bouncyball tourney to rip on women's hockey. Now who's bitter? AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!
                    Last edited by captain beefheart; 03-16-2017, 02:26 PM.
                    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      I think the boys have an NDP to get more Americans in the NHL and to get growth in college hockey. Is there a similar path for women? The mens NDP tours and plays mens colleges and feeds off exhibition games season ticket holders have to buy. Is that going to work on the womens side?

Lots of interesting arguments about centealized training in the soccer world, I'm not even sure it'd be a good thing for the game
                      You may be right but why should the USA Hockey be paying for that? Why are they subsidizing boys in order that they can earn million dollar professional contracts? If they are subsidizing anyone, shouldn't they subsidize girls who's highest level/ultimate goal is probably the Olympics (outside of the NWHL)?

Comment

I feel awful about this. Big supporter of HC team, but this is bad overall, many steps backwards if it doesn't get worked out. We have 4 flights and game tics for the week at World's but am waiting till 5 pm ET and then make a decision. I understand what the US players are asking for and I support. Terrible!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                          Wow. I got through about 15 comments & had to stop before I lashed out at the next person to come near me. Why all the vitriol? My goodness that made me bitter! 250 of the 261 have probably never watched the women play and 200 of those probably have not seen the men. They are just bitter , angry people THAT I NOW HATE. I am so glad they took a break from the lame bouncyball tourney to rip on women's hockey. Now who's bitter? AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!
                          There is a swarm of trolls who live to belittle women. small pen is syndrome I assume. They show up on any thread that is supportive of women, particularly strong women.

Comment

Well, it's past 5 pm. Do you know where your Women's National Team is?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Well, it's past 5 pm. Do you know where your Women's National Team is?
                              Wondering same. In revisiting the article posted above I see they added a video interview with Hillary Knight, but it was taped about 4 hours before the 5:00pm deadline.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Craig Custance‏-Senior writer for ESPN, ESPN NHL Insider.
                                ‪@CraigCustance‬ 4h
                                4 hours ago
                                USWNT captain Meghan Duggan has made about 100 calls today to entire pool of women players in the national program. They're all united.
                                4 replies
                                370 retweets
                                598 likes

All the players on the US roster have posted tweets about the boycott except Nicole Hensley and Kali Flanagan. Although Kali Flanagan has posted no recent tweets at all. I was curious if they were all public about it so I went through the roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X