Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
    She averaged 1.5 goals per WCHA game last year.
    What if she stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and we gave her a mulligan on the Sconnie game?...

Whoa...Then she averages 3 goals per WHCA game!
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

being open minded, I have given some thought and now realize Eastfan1 and HockeyEast33 are correct.
      UND dropped hockey 'cuz they know the supply of MN players is going down the shidder, in fact hockey is dying across the midwest, and the entire conference will be lucky to win more than a couple of non-conference games a year

UND is ahead of the game, they are getting out early to avoid the embarrassment

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        being open minded, I have given some thought and now realize Eastfan1 and HockeyEast33 are correct.
        UND dropped hockey 'cuz they know the supply of MN players is going down the shidder, in fact hockey is dying across the midwest, and the entire conference will be lucky to win more than a couple of non-conference games a year

UND is ahead of the game, they are getting out early to avoid the embarrassment
        I agree. And ending the pipeline of mythical Minnesota players to Division One will be good for the game, I'm certain.
        And the health and growth of women's hockey is so obviously assured that gleefully anticipating the demise of mythical Minnesota high school hockey is perfectly justified.

Comment

I have nothing against club hockey. There are many parts of the country where it is the only model that makes any sense. You need a critical mass of players in one area for the HS model to work at all, because you can't travel hundreds of miles every other weekend to play several games. You have to be able to have two teams play on a Tuesday or Thursday evening and not miss much school before or after.

Still, I don't think HS sports are dying. Much as we love hockey, there is more pressure to make it big in sports like football and basketball. If high school athletics was going to die, it should die there first. I don't see any indication that it is.

The edge that HS sports have over club sports is more people care about who wins or loses. Club sports are built around developing individuals. That's fine. But it produces a situation where some of the best players for that age group can get together and play on a weekend, and hardly anyone cares. Even the 30 parents in the stands are mostly interested in how much their son or daughter gets to play and how he or she performs. For pure entertainment value, give me a HS section final between less-talented teams in a full building every time over watching Shattuck play Balmoral Hall or the Pacific Steelers take on NAHA. Similarly, I'd rather watch an NCAA game where the teams might have less talent but there is something tangible on the line rather than see the US and Canada play in Four Nations.

Others feel differently. I can understand that. But it doesn't make one model better than another. They are just trying to achieve different things for different groups of athletes.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
            The edge that HS sports have over club sports is more people care about who wins or loses. Club sports are built around developing individuals. That's fine. But it produces a situation where some of the best players for that age group can get together and play on a weekend, and hardly anyone cares. Even the 30 parents in the stands are mostly interested in how much their son or daughter gets to play and how he or she performs. For pure entertainment value, give me a HS section final between less-talented teams in a full building every time over watching Shattuck play Balmoral Hall or the Pacific Steelers take on NAHA. Similarly, I'd rather watch an NCAA game where the teams might have less talent but there is something tangible on the line rather than see the US and Canada play in Four Nations.

Others feel differently. I can understand that. But it doesn't make one model better than another. They are just trying to achieve different things for different groups of athletes.
            Is this the first time me and ARM ever agreed wholeheartedly on something?
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              No. We agreed that maroon & gold is >>> than red and white.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                That's right we do!

Comment

Wait...what? Is there somewhere below us that is freezing over?

Comment

ESPN, the NYT and AP all had folks in house for every US game. I did coverage for Sports Illustrated. The Detroit Free Press and USA Today used AP wire copy.
                    The NYT writer is based in Ann Arbor and is usually their auto writer. If they didn't already have someone local, I'm not sure they would have covered it, but I guess we won't know. The AP writer is out of Detroit. It appears ESPN flew Johnette Howard in.

Most folks only showed up for the US games, but it is definitely unusual for that many "big name" US outlets to send people
                    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Isn't it sad that some people are brainwashed into thinking the most deplorable things are good? I really feel bad for you 2.
                      I suspect your parents are to blame for the brainwashing. I do own 1 piece of clothing that is actually those putrid colors, a Mustang T shirt. A Mustang is the only thing I can think of that would make those colors tolerable.

Let's be real also, the rodent and eagle colors aren't the same. The eagle gold is really gold, whereas the rodent gold is a urine color. But it bothers me none to have you folks combine them into the same pallet, my distaste for both teams is rather high. At least I can go all summer with a smile thinking UW got the chance to dispatch BC and did so using one of the most cruel circumstances. And the 8 goal ***-whipping of the rodents make me smile too, I'll be watching that on dvr again this summer.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Let's be real also, the rodent and eagle colors aren't the same. The eagle gold is really gold, whereas the rodent gold is a urine color.
                        HA, BC fans actually hate our gold -- part of the problem is that every new piece of merchandise uses a different shade of it so we don't even know what our real color is.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I have nothing against club hockey. There are many parts of the country where it is the only model that makes any sense. You need a critical mass of players in one area for the HS model to work at all, because you can't travel hundreds of miles every other weekend to play several games. You have to be able to have two teams play on a Tuesday or Thursday evening and not miss much school before or after.

Still, I don't think HS sports are dying. Much as we love hockey, there is more pressure to make it big in sports like football and basketball. If high school athletics was going to die, it should die there first. I don't see any indication that it is.

Great post and comments. I never said that girls HS hockey is dying - quite the contrary it is growing and spreading and that is essential for the game to grow. And there is always a lot of emotion attached if you are really playing for your hometown. My assertion is that less and less the MN HS model will be the pathway to the National Team and that the various other routes (preps, clubs, factories, etc.) will be the path that produces the national team players just as it is in boys hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            MY assertion
                            Your ego just keeps showing up like a bad penny.

And by the way which is it? The "mythical", "dying", "old" MN girls high school hockey model propped up by "isolated", "out of touch" folks, you referred to in post #598 or the MN girls high school hockey model that is "growing and spreading and that is essential for the game to grow" you currently mention?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Isn't it sad that some people are brainwashed into thinking the most deplorable things are good? I really feel bad for you 2.
                              I suspect your parents are to blame for the brainwashing. I do own 1 piece of clothing that is actually those putrid colors, a Mustang T shirt. A Mustang is the only thing I can think of that would make those colors tolerable.

Let's be real also, the rodent and eagle colors aren't the same. The eagle gold is really gold, whereas the rodent gold is a urine color. But it bothers me none to have you folks combine them into the same pallet, my distaste for both teams is rather high. At least I can go all summer with a smile thinking UW got the chance to dispatch BC and did so using one of the most cruel circumstances. And the 8 goal ***-whipping of the rodents make me smile too, I'll be watching that on dvr again this summer.
                              When being real you should remember that your beloved Packers have essentially the same "urine" color to go with green.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                When being real you should remember that your beloved Packers have essentially the same "urine" color to go with green.
                                speaking of hideous colors .... Packer uniform

you'd think Timothy would love the gold color, It's really more like cheddar

HA, BC fans actually hate our gold -- part of the problem is that every new piece of merchandise uses a different shade of it so we don't even know what our real color is.
                                we've got the same problem with maroon, and after you wash them and every item is a different shade

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                                ... My assertion is that less and less the MN HS model will be the pathway to the National Team and that the various other routes (preps, clubs, factories, etc.) will be the path that produces the national team players just as it is in boys hockey.
                                what you don't seem to understand is that the girls who play HS also play on *elite* (sic) teams coached by *elite* coaches, at least the ones who are passionate about it and want to be the best they can be

elite= best of the best HS coaches, or former NHL, Olympic, D1 players, former All Americans, and sometimes just **** good coaches who were at best average players
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 04-13-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X