X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    France never will.

Being from WI naturally I am of German heritage, I have this strange urge for Germany to beat the US. I do fly a German flag on the old flagpole once and awhile, cheer for German F1 drivers and my Eishockey Bundesliga jersey is one of my prized possessions. Deutschland über alles!
    Your peeps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNfQQ6paYg
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Being from WI naturally I am of German heritage, I have this strange urge for Germany to beat the US. I do fly a German flag on the old flagpole once and awhile, cheer for German F1 drivers and my Eishockey Bundesliga jersey is one of my prized possessions. Deutschland über alles!
      I know we've spoken in the past about shooting your state into the sun. Why have we not done this yet?
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        I know we've spoken in the past about shooting your state into the sun. Why have we not done this yet?
        Cheese and beer??
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
          Not to pick on semantics... Michigan has 7 D1 programs (Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech). Oh yeah, ZERO women's teams. I digress...
          Forgot about Ferris State, was thinking they're in Ohio. If they had a women's program I would have known better!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Um, not quite........I think we ought to leave this German/Russian/French thing just fade away. Years ago I was accused of being a racist because I asked if Harvard had a chink in their amour and I don't want to go through all that again.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              You just can't take a state from the middle and shoot it into the sun, it will screw up the water-tables. Now states on the east coast are another story.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                At the U18 girls level Minnesota has historically produced "more than their fair share" of the teams' rosters, but this has been the case for quite a few years now, predating the Gopher's Associate Coach being named as the program's head coach. And they do have a true national tryout process with several stages, so top players from all states get an opportunity to show their talents. And, unlike the NDTP boy's program, the girls U18 is not year-around as the players continue to play with their local high school/club teams, outside of the few select tournaments that the U18's participate in.
                Couple of comments:
                - The U18 Head Coach does not pick the team (although he/she has input) - it is picked by a group of evaluators
                - The evaluators were originally more heavily weighted with Eastern folks and there was an Eastern bias (although there were still plenty of MN players).
                - Now the evaluators are primarily Western folks and there is now a Western bias - to the point that one or two years ago there wasn't a single Eastern kid on the U18 roster.

Natural for evaluators to be pre-disposed to prefer players they can more closely relate to. The process should be designed to prevent an over-bias. This process is clearly flawed because it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Cheese and beer??
                  Vermont cheese is better anyway.

/ducks
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    Vermont cheese is better anyway.

/ducks
                    It is subjective for sure but there is this...

http://www.worldchampioncheese.org/

With this quote...

"Among U.S. states, Wisconsin dominated with 38 gold medals. New York took nine golds, California won
                    eight, and New Jersey earned six. Cheesemakers in New Mexico and Vermont earned five gold medals,
                    each."
                    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 04-05-2017, 01:55 PM.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

France never will.

In 2014 we watched Germany defeat Argentina 1-0 in the World Cup Final at The Glockenspiel in St Paul while eating German sausages from Deutschland Meats in Lindstrom and drinking tap Hacker-Pschorr Munchenener Golds. The place was packed and they even came around and painted the German flag on our chubby facial cheeks. The only thing that would have been better is if the Gophers had defeated Clarkson that year. I'm rooting for the USA over Germany by the way, but the Paulaner Octoberfest is on ice. That would be Oktoberfest, not Octoberfest.
                      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-05-2017, 03:25 PM. Reason: Who looks at the bottle?
                      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        It is subjective for sure but there is this...

http://www.worldchampioncheese.org/

With this quote...

"Among U.S. states, Wisconsin dominated with 38 gold medals. New York took nine golds, California won
                        eight, and New Jersey earned six. Cheesemakers in New Mexico and Vermont earned five gold medals,
                        each."
                        there's a reason they are called cheeseheads

I believe there are something like 3500 different labels of cheese produced in WI, over 600 types, and about 125 cheese factories
                        If you attend a game at Labahn, be sure to visit the Babcock creamery on campus and get some ice cream, they have cheese too, produced on campus
                        gotta admit, WI does cheese, ice cream, and beer right

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                          Couple of comments:
                          - The U18 Head Coach does not pick the team (although he/she has input) - it is picked by a group of evaluators
                          - The evaluators were originally more heavily weighted with Eastern folks and there was an Eastern bias (although there were still plenty of MN players).
                          - Now the evaluators are primarily Western folks and there is now a Western bias - to the point that one or two years ago there wasn't a single Eastern kid on the U18 roster.

Natural for evaluators to be pre-disposed to prefer players they can more closely relate to. The process should be designed to prevent an over-bias. This process is clearly flawed because it doesn't.
                          Thanks for information about the process. I was obviously in the dark about the evaluators'/coaches' input to team composition. I'm not at all trying to accuse anyone of anything nefarious. It just seems to me that the geographic composition of the 18U women's team has changed quite a bit in recent years. I get the argument that MN has the most/best players, but again, if memory serves the geographic composition has seemed to change more dramatically than the quality of play in MN versus the East. To prove the point, of course, I'd need data on the 18U women's team composition and the number of female participants in each region to show a statistically significant change. It just seems to me like the numerator has been changing faster than the denominator.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            there's a reason they are called cheeseheads

I believe there are something like 3500 different labels of cheese produced in WI, over 600 types, and about 125 cheese factories
                            If you attend a game at Labahn, be sure to visit the Babcock creamery on campus and get some ice cream, they have cheese too, produced on campus
                            gotta admit, WI does cheese, ice cream, and beer right
                            Babcock used to make their own yogurt, too. I don't know when they stopped (or why) but when I was a freshman way back in 1975, my dorm was nearby, and I used to regularly get a yogurt and eat it while walking to class.

(There is also "Bucky's Butchery", about a block away from Babcock Hall: open to the public only on Friday mornings, you can get freshly 'prepared' meats from the Ag School kids 'practicing' their skills. And somewhere on campus - also in Babcock Hall? - there are now thriving microbrewery classes.)

Comment

NHL absence from the Olympics? Ho-hum.

U.S. Women’s Soccer reaching a settlement? Good for them.

IIHF non-USA semis getting press?! Exposure, no? That’s what it’s all about.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/s...pionship.html?

"The Finns consider the victory [in the first game against Canada] the greatest accomplishment in the team’s history.
                              'I personally tried for thirteen years, and it finally happened,' Raty said."
                              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 04-05-2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Scenes from the relegation game. How did they get here?
                                The CR goalie and one of their forwards lost their sticks there is a delayed penalty so Swiss are skating 6 on 5. The move the puck well and get 3 sog but no goal.
                                Last edited by ne7minder; 04-06-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X