2017 Women's World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Spoke with a few (2) players from the NWHL and they said that they will not go if asked. These 2 players would definitely be some of the ones considered. They both felt that it wouldn't be earned and that they would be shunned. So it will be very much a non starter to look at the top end 2nd tier NWHL girls.

So, do you think USA Hockey will look to the ones not in consideration at the NCAA level? If the U18's and others who are under future consideration all say no, where does USAH go to?

I know there are a handful or 2 of US players in the CWHL not including the Blades. Will they go to that pool? I'm sure Chu will side with the US National girls, will the rest?

Separate question. If this doesn't get resolved will the Lams look to HC since they have dual? Doubt it, but if they get rejected from USAH, then what for them. Would HC even consider them?

Based on what is on the USAH website, it looks like USAH is trying to get some public opinion on their side. Not sure if their #'s are correct for the players demands, but it looks defensive for the organization and I'm sure the players will come out with a response.

Looks like the sides are digging in though. Bur nothing has been in the news for the last 24 hours really, so maybe things are getting worked out.

Haven't yet cancelled my trip to Plymouth. Hoping not to have to.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksoncluck View Post
      Separate question. If this doesn't get resolved will the Lams look to HC since they have dual? Doubt it, but if they get rejected from USAH, then what for them. Would HC even consider them?

Haven't yet cancelled my trip to Plymouth. Hoping not to have to.
      My understanding of the international rules is once you have played for a national team you can't be on the roster of a different nations team. This came up with a dually that had already played & then got cut.

We already have the tickets paid for so unless we get a refund on them we will go just not watch any game USA is playing in. I wonder if we would have a legal cause to file a claim against USAH if they send the 3rd stringers.

Comment

Separate question. If this doesn't get resolved will the Lams look to HC since they have dual?
        I don't think that is allowed. Once a player competes internationally for one team, they aren't allowed to become a free agent and go elsewhere, even if they have dual citizenship, ancestral ties, or whatever allows people to go compete for a different country. That's why someone like goalie Alex Gulstene has to think carefully before deciding which country to represent.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
          Bottom line is Michigan and Michigan State should be embarrassed for not offering D1 Women's Hockey programs! Michigan is one of the Nations Hockey hotbeds! MN 5 D1 programs MI 0 Disgraceful
          FWIW, a few years ago, Michigan was looking to add sports. They made the decision to go with lacrosse, both men's and women's, rather than women's ice hockey. They found that adding those two teams was significantly less expensive than women's hockey alone. And Michigan is one of two schools (Ohio State is the other) that has a team in all 14 sports that are officially sponsored by the conference. Minnesota has no women's lacrosse or field hockey; Wisconsin has no lacrosse, field hockey or gymnastics.

So, I have a hard time seeing it as a disgrace that they don't have a women's ice hockey team. They made the choice to go in a different direction and actually offer more scholarship opportunities to female athletes than Minnesota or Wisconsin. They just made the decision that ice hockey wasn't where they were going to put their resources. Sure, my personal preference would have been women's ice hockey, but I try not to confuse my personal preferences with moral imperatives when they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            They just made the decision that ice hockey wasn't where they were going to put their resources.
            Which is fine (as long as they don't consider Michigan to be a hockey state or try to steal the name "Hockey Town" from a city that is truly devoted to hockey like Warroad is).
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Minnesota has no women's lacrosse or field hockey; Wisconsin has no lacrosse, field hockey or gymnastics.
              Wisconsin also does not have baseball.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Which is fine (as long as they don't consider Michigan to be a hockey state or try to steal the name "Hockey Town" from a city that is truly devoted to hockey like Warroad is).
                I have no idea what this comment has to do with the people at the University of Michigan who made the decision that offering more athletic scholarships for less money was the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Wisconsin also does not have baseball.
                  I was looking specifically at women's teams. On the men's side, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State are the only schools that have a team in all 14 conference sports. In addition to baseball, Wisconsin has no men's gymnastics or lacrosse; Minnesota has no men's lacrosse or soccer.

Comment

I have no idea what this comment has to do with the people at the University of Michigan who made the decision that offering more athletic scholarships for less money was the way to go.
                    I think he was making reference to the fact that Michigan used to be one of the big hockey states of the country. And universities in Michigan choosing to emphasize other sports at the expense of hockey is one of the reasons that is less and less the case.

Regardless of how admirable their decision to offer more scholarships for less money. Maybe if us Minnesotans can catch up to Michigan morally we can drop women's hockey and add lacrosse, too!

Comment

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

There is a lot of information being reported on this that isn't reflected in the thread, so I thought I'd dust off the ol' account and provide some links.

If you're on Twitter, some solid accounts are @MsJenNeale_PD, @hannah_bevis1, @k_cimini, and @itsmeglinehan, among many.

A very good timeline on the negotiations and an excellent primer on the issues can be found here, where it specifies dates of three in-person visits with USAH to discuss the players' concerns.

USA Hockey is hockey's national governing body under the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act that is required by law to support both male and female programs equitably. Currently spending $3.5 million per year to subsidize boys who may never find a place on the national team, compared to $0 annually (except Olympic years) to support women who are actively playing on the national team and winning medals doesn't seem equitable. Girls pay the same dues as boys, do they not?

I will always root for Canada when they play the USA, but I am in awe of the strength of these women for standing up to USAH, and for empowering those who come after them.

As for the Lams, I'm sure they have ZERO interest in playing for Canada - even if it were a possibility which it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Amen!

Comment

Separate question. If this doesn't get resolved will the Lams look to HC since they have dual? Doubt it, but if they get rejected from USAH, then what for them.
                          A job comes to mind. I believe they earned a degree! That being said I do hope these players get what they want. I have said for many years that USA Hockey has spent to much money on the boy's NTDP and the girls/ women's program have been 2nd fiddle. True that Title 9 doesn't come into play here but doesn't USA Hockey have any morals or values? And yes I know that USA Hockey is just a big insurance company.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                            Amen!
                            People should keep in mind that the whole "Hockeytown" thing, while stupid, is also 100% the brainchild of the Detroit Red Wings marketing department. No one else is responsible for it, and when I'm back in SE Michigan, I don't really hear anyone else use it. On the rare occasions I do, it isn't aimed at the rest of the country; it's aimed at the Detroit Pistons for playing 30 miles outside the city.

Beyond that, I'm not sure when it became university administrators' job to support an area in its quest to be a hockey hotbed. There is the noun equivalent of passive voice abuse going on here. Who is the "they" in ARM's comment? If it is a "disgrace" that UM and MSU don't have women's ice hockey teams, who, exactly, is it that should feel shame? The decision to add lacrosse rather than women's ice hockey was made by individuals within the University of Michigan athletic department, and they made it because they thought that was the way to best serve the university's interests. That's their job.

For whatever reasons, girls ice hockey has never really caught on in Michigan. I don't think that the local universities not having teams has made much difference in that; I rather think that the cause/effect goes the other way. One of the reasons they added lacrosse is that it has been taking off as a youth sport in the area.

Comment

For whatever reasons, girls ice hockey has never really caught on in Michigan.
                              I've always thought that if a state or city calls the sport "ice hockey" it's not a real hockey state or city.

Ice Hockey = Hockey
                              Field Hockey = Field Hockey
                              Adapted Floor Hockey = Adapted Floor Hockey

(I did notice yesterday there's an "Ice Hockey" sign in the Family Arena )
                              Last edited by D2D; 03-18-2017, 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                I've always thought that if a state or city calls the sport "ice hockey" it's not a real hockey state or city.

Ice Hockey = Hockey
                                Field Hockey = Field Hockey
                                Adopted Floor Hockey = Adopted Floor Hockey

(I did notice yesterday there's an "Ice Hockey" sign in the Family Arena )
                                Isn't it adapted floor hockey?

BTW, nobody's talking about the NHL contribution to USA Hockey that supports the Plymouth program. That's the $3.5 million.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X