Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Don't know about that but what was obvious was that Canada had all the momentum at the end of the second period but the US came out of the gate in the third and immediately turned that right around.
    I blame Laura Schuler.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
      All so true. Canada had some great chances in the second period, when they outplayed the U.S. But I thought the Americans had the advantage (and more/better scoring opportunities) in the 3rd, and even more so in the overtime. With the limited practice time they had leading up to the tournament, I was surprised that they seemed to have more stamina than the Canadians in the later stages of the game. They must have trained very hard on their own in the weeks before the games got underway.
      The USA is just a better team and the only reason the game went to OT was Szabados. USA team speed is very impressive. Good game. Canada have some big decisions to make in the coming months.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        The USA is just a better team and the only reason the game went to OT was Szabados.
        bingo

team USA is definitely the better team. The OT scorelines from the past couple championships don't do justice as to how much more skilled the USA are in puck possession and control. last year it was maschmeyer. this year was szabados. 2013 in ottawa was szabados (again).
        It is not a coincidence that team USA is consistently outshooting canada every single time they play.

I will take Mel's buddy to coach the team canada women over Laura Schuler next year. Did anybody notice, but i thought Laura Schuler was going to puke behind the bench. If Laura Schuler and coaches stay on, team canada women will have deserved to lose the olympics.

Comment

Pounder This Week: First says Lamoureux has won two NCAA championships (wrong), then states a player played for UMD instead of UM (wrong), then tonight during the medal ceremony when Sarah Potomak was receiving her medal, says Amy Potomak instead (wrong). Does she do any homework before these broadcasts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
            the team canada women (besides the rookies) don't even look as devastated or distraught anymore compared to the last 2 world championship losses. Losing is the new normal.
            I don't think that is a fair comment. MPP was clearly upset and emotional after the game. Having said that, I do agree that after a great second period, Canada really struggled with the speed of the Americans. The wide open flow in the OT was to the benefit of the faster US team. In the end a rookie mistake, taking a shot that gets blocked while you are the last D, is what cost them the winning goal.

On this day, I'd prefer to take the approach of congratulating the US team on the win, and say bravo to the Canadians for a well fought and entertaining game. !!!
            Last edited by OnMAA; 04-07-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I was surprised that they seemed to have more stamina than the Canadians in the later stages of the game. They must have trained very hard on their own in the weeks before the games got underway.
              I think it is more about general speed than stamina. Me thinks the US team has much more overall speed, and the neutral zone check the canucks played to try and neutralize that speed was not sustainable for them, leading to the breakdowns in the third and OT. Several players on the Canadian team really struggled with the speed and transition of the US team as the game went on. They got hemmed into their own zone for long periods. And while they played good team D and collapsed to protect the net, they failed to get the puck out on many occasions, leading to breakdowns and tired players. That tends to catch up to you as the game drags on.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 04-07-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                The USA is just a better team and the only reason the game went to OT was Szabados.
                For me it isn't that the Canada goaler was outstanding. Szabodos played well but great defense is team defense. I think Canada plays great team defense. If Canada holds USA scoring down I just don't think we should all be shouting how great the goaler played.

For example, on Carpenter's great chance for the USA in the third period the TSN team of Black and Pounder went all in with the idea that Szabados had made a great save. I thought that the D had squeezed down and left only a small path through on top of the crease, a path that Szabados was prepared to defend and which she very successfully did defend. Good save but I think the greater credit for that save goes to the other five Canadian players on the ice.
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  I don't think that is a fair comment. MPP was clearly upset and emotional after the game. Having said that, I do agree that after a great second period, Canada really struggled with the speed of the Americans. The wide open flow in the OT was to the benefit of the faster US team. In the end a rookie mistake, taking a shot that gest blocked while you are the last D, is what cost them the winning goal.
                  there was no wide open flow in OT. It was played 5 on 5, not 4 on 4. aside from rookies and poulin, the rest of the team did not look as distraught and devastated than when they lost 2 years ago. losing is the new normal now.

also, there are seriously no good women's hockey writers in Canada. Donna Spencer of the Canadian Press is very misleading (i think she thinks we just started watching women's hockey in sochi), that or usually she spews out things we already know, or gets things wrong, and bloggers are usually the same. There are no good women's hockey writers in Canada that tell it like it is. This is a problem. There are no real journalists in women's hockey in Canada. Maybe in Quebec but few and far between.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                    there was no wide open flow in OT. It was played 5 on 5, not 4 on 4. aside from rookies and poulin, the rest of the team did not look as distraught and devastated than when they lost 2 years ago. losing is the new normal now.

also, there are seriously no good women's hockey writers in Canada. Donna Spencer of the Canadian Press is very misleading (i think she thinks we just started watching women's hockey in sochi), that or usually she spews out things we already know, or gets things wrong, and bloggers are usually the same. There are no good women's hockey writers in Canada that tell it like it is. This is a problem. There are no real journalists in women's hockey in Canada. Maybe in Quebec but few and far between.
                    Well then it sounds like you should step up and fill that void, except you're too freaking abrasive. Maybe you should coach Team Canada for the next Olympics. Laura will be too busy losing games at Dartmouth. Speed is everything in women's hockey. USA has figured that out. Canada needs to overhaul their scouting and invitational approach to creating the National Team. If they don't they seriously risk losing Gold next February.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      I think it is more about general speed than stamina. Me thinks the US team has much more overall speed, and the neutral zone check the canucks played to try and neutralize that speed was not sustainable for them, leading to the breakdowns in the third and OT. Several players on the Canadian team really struggled with the speed and transition of the US team as the game went on. They got hemmed into their own zone for long periods. And while they played good team D and collapsed to protect the net, they failed to get the puck out on many occasions, leading to breakdowns and tired players. That tends to catch up to you as the game drags on.
                      I understand what you're saying, that the U.S. has much more overall team speed than their Canadian counterparts, but I thought it was surprising - and was impressed - that the U.S. could not only maintain but actually increase and take more advantage of their team speed in the 3rd period, and in the overtime. When you're tired because you're not in tip-top shape, generally speaking your quickness, speed and decision-making all suffer. That was clearly not an issue for the Americans, despite their team preparation time being shortened due to the ongoing negotiations with USA Hockey. I would have guessed that the longer the game went, the more the advantage would have swung to Canada, which didn't have any of these issues in preparing for the tournament.
                      Last edited by D2D; 04-07-2017, 11:36 PM.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        With the limited practice time they had leading up to the tournament, I was surprised that they seemed to have more stamina than the Canadians in the later stages of the game. They must have trained very hard on their own in the weeks before the games got underway.
                        The U.S. used its depth far more than the Canadians did, both tonight and over the whole week. The Americans rolled all four lines and four pairs of defensemen from beginning to end. The Canadian fourth line seemed like an afterthought. Playing five games in just over seven days, that made a difference.
                        Last edited by Eeyore; 04-08-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                          hiirikoski is great,.
                          You really should have stopped your post right there. Hiirikoski was fabulous over the span of the tournament, and logged a ridiculous number of minutes. She wasn't as good in the semi, but a lot of that is down to the Finns playing an extra game and looking very tired the second time around against Canada. (Yes, that says something about the quality of the German play in the bronze medal game.) I can't speak to the rest of the all-tournament team, as I don't know who else was named, but it would have been a crime if she hadn't been on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            You missed the important qualifier that I put: CONSISTENTLY
                            You missed the most important qualifier that I put: DOMINANT. (2 NC$$ Titles).

Congrats to team USA
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

THIS THIS and THIS to all the plaudits! (Amazing what a group of "whining," "choking" women can accomplish, isn't it?)

For those who might have missed Coyne to Knight:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/s...sa-canada.html
                              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 04-08-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I still haven't looked up who made the actual all-tournament team, but I'll offer mine. A few caveats, first:

1) I saw every game involving a Group A team except Russia's quarterfinal loss to Germany, but I didn't see as many Group B games. I only saw Sweden play once (the quarterfinal loss to Finland) because of scheduling conflicts, and I only watched one period of the Swiss, because that ****ing bell was giving me a headache. Outside of Muller and Stalder for the Swiss, though, I don't see anyone even worthy of consideration from Group B, and they loses out due to the lower quality of competition. The Russians got outscored 21-7 and showed no heart any time adversity struck. So I feel justified in drawing only from the medal winners;

2) It's hard to pick players from the American team, because they really won with depth. They not only rolled through all of the skaters, all four lines were dangerous, especially once they flipped Pelkey and JLam between the second and fourth lines before the semi. I'm sure plenty of them played well enough to merit selection, but it was really hard to stand out in the way you generally need to to make this sort of team. Indeed, it's easier to pick out the two players I didn't think looked great: at the risk of aggravating the Tiger, Megan Keller didn't have a good tournament, and I've never been impressed with MLam as a defenseman. That's it. If I were to list Honorable Mentions, it'd be half of the American team;

3) On the other hand, while the Finnish team was solid all around, they were really carried by a small number of players. In any game, they had 1.5-2 lines that were a threat, depending upon whether Susanna Tapani was put on the first line with Karvinen or whether she was helping Petra Nieminen try to provide some depth. They also get some bonus points, because I don't know what they did to anger the officiating gods, but, up until the bronze medal game, they were the subject of a torrent of bull**** calls all week, and their penalty kill was outstanding.

So:

G - Either Shannon Szabados or Nicole Hensley: the former had a harder job, but the latter gave up 40% as many goals doing hers.
                                D - Jenni Hiirikoski: I went over this
                                D - Kacey Bellamy: She was very good at both ends all week, and then scored twice in the gold medal game
                                F - Jenn Wakefield: Tried to put Canada on her back, only to have parts of the team reject the offer
                                F - Michelle Karvinen: Didn't put up a lot of points, but she was everywhere on the ice and was the key person on that penalty kill
                                F - Either Hillary Knight or Susanna Tapani: I'd be fine with either one. Knight was probably the better player, but Tapani was a more important to her team

Comment

Working...
                                X