Thread: 2017 Women's World Championships

2017 Women's World Championships

There was no joy in Orono.

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Just wondering because I havent seen numbers anywhere

1) What are they getting now?

2) What do they want instead?

3) How do both compare to Canada?

I understand theyre making an emotional appeal and the PR prople think numbers put the audience to sleep but Id personally be more inclined to support them if I knew more facts.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    And the gold medal goes to.....Canada.

I'm going to assume the USA Hockey men's program gets significantly better treatment and support?

Agree with BoSox, I'd like to see the numbers.

TSN (figures) has some numbers. It stinks

http://www.tsn.ca/us-women-s-hockey-...ycott-1.697033

Let's go RED!

Irregardless of the numbers, why would the women NOT get treated the same financially as the men? Maybe they should get more than the men since the men all make NHL money and the Olympic money to them is chump change.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Irregardless of the numbers, why would the women NOT get treated the same financially as the men? Maybe they should get more than the men since the men all make NHL money and the Olympic money to them is chump change.
    Tim

Outside of a select few, how many in the sports world care? If you asked Jack in Detroit to name 4 members of the last women's Olympic team, I'd bet he'd be hard pressed. 4 from the men's team? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Tim

Outside of a select few, how many in the sports world care? If you asked Jack in Detroit to name 4 members of the last women's Olympic team, I'd bet he'd be hard pressed. 4 from the men's team? Probably.
    USA Hockey promotes the men's U18 team right here in Detroit with a full time team and league play. USA Hockey spent millions on an arena here to support primarily the men's program. Promote and support the women's program like that and many more in the area and beyond would know the names of these equally hard working women. It's time USA Hockey started treating the women equally to the men...especially since the women actually win!

If they only identified as males

Quote Originally Posted by bc6696 View Post
    USA Hockey promotes the men's U18 team right here in Detroit with a full time team and league play. USA Hockey spent millions on an arena here to support primarily the men's program. Promote and support the women's program like that and many more in the area and beyond would know the names of these equally hard working women. It's time USA Hockey started treating the women equally to the men...especially since the women actually win!
    USA Hockey owns and operates an arena in the Detroit area. That same arena houses the Compuware Youth Hockey Organization as well as the US Men's NTDP U17 and U18 teams. Due to a MAHA ruling, there will no longer be a Girls program within Compuware. That means there are no girls teams playing out of the arena owned and operated by USA Hockey. How is that right?!?!?!

It's time USA Hockey started treating the women equally to the men...especially since the women actually win!
    But on the biggest stage the men are up 2-1 in Olympic Gold. Of course, that 1920 start date for the men and 1998 for the women might explain that.

What qualifies as a fair wage? An AHL comparable salary? And hows it compare to Canada? If I knew the Canadian girls facing the same issues on fan interest/low level low income pro leagues were getting significantly more support from hockey canada then as a USA fan Id be ****ed.

If its roughly even, much less so.

Quote Originally Posted by DDad16 View Post
    USA Hockey owns and operates an arena in the Detroit area. That same arena houses the Compuware Youth Hockey Organization as well as the US Men's NTDP U17 and U18 teams. Due to a MAHA ruling, there will no longer be a Girls program within Compuware. That means there are no girls teams playing out of the arena owned and operated by USA Hockey. How is that right?!?!?!
    Detroit? Isn't that in Michigan, home to so many D1 women's hockey teams?

USA Hockey's response to Women's boycott
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6-0Aw8V4AASw7c.jpg

If I am reading that right the women get up to $85,000 if they win. How does that effect a women's NCAA eligibility?

And if the women chose not to play does USA Hockey go to the lower level girls to ask them to play? A tough decision for those girls. The the chance to play with the USA jersey on but be hated by the Olymipans forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    If I am reading that right the women get up to $85,000 if they win. How does that effect a women's NCAA eligibility?
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    And if the women chose not to play does USA Hockey go to the lower level girls to ask them to play? A tough decision for those girls. The chance to play with the USA jersey on but be hated by the Olymipans forever.
    That's what I was thinking...it's what their response seemed to imply (if not caving in to some of the players' "demands") which made it sound like scabbing might be required in order to field a team.

Would a team of college age players not boycotting be a shoe in for silver?

Say kids that are D1 conference all stars but have no shot at the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Would a team of college age players not boycotting be a shoe in for silver?

Say kids that are D1 conference all stars but have no shot at the Olympics?
    That's would be interesting to see. It puts those players in a very difficult position to either show support by not playing either, or take this once in a lifetime opportunity to show their stuff. I'd play if I was asked to fill in a spot on the "scab team."

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    That's would be interesting to see. It puts those players in a very difficult position to either show support by not playing either, or take this once in a lifetime opportunity to show their stuff. I'd play if I was asked to fill in a spot on the "scab team."
    If I was 18 and had a chance to be on the team in 2018, 2022 and behind I probably wouldnt. If I was college senior that was bascially hanging them up, I think I would jump at it.

USA Hockey says they will field a team regardless:

http://www.excellesports.com/news/us...womens-strike/

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    What qualifies as a fair wage? ....And hows it compare to Canada? If I knew the Canadian girls facing the same issues on fan interest/low level low income pro leagues were getting significantly more support from hockey canada then as a USA fan Id be ****ed.

If its roughly even, much less so.
    I don't know what a fair wage is, but giving them $1000 a month while they prepare for the Olympics and next to nothing the rest of the time isn't a fair amount.
    The Canucks do receive a small amount in non-Olympic years, and it seems to me that explains why nearly all of the US players left the CWHL and went "pro" in the NWHL, to get monetary support they weren't getting from USA hockey

Thread Information