UVM Off-Season Thread 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM Off-Season Thread 2017

Started thinking about nonconference opponents last night. I'm not sure about agreements or anything, so this is just brainstorming.

Dartmouth and SLU obviously locks. Probably an NCHC and B1G opponent as well, and another ECAC opponent.

What about the Catamount Cup? Are they bringing that back?

Who do you want to see?

EDIT - Looks like we're travelling to Quinnipiac next year: https://***********/ChipMalafronte/s...62330987499524
    Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM.
    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
      Funny thing watching Lowell tonight I was thinking they must be stealing talented MA kids from BU/Bc/UNH so i checked their roster. All rental kids from Canada and outside MA, Truly surprised they have sold out so thoroughly but it works. Love to see the grades and graduation rates from these teams. Not to say UVM is much better but just another example of how college sports has gone off the rails on its initial intent.
      Educated yourself and look where the UVM players are from also. DOPE!
      Last edited by steven22; 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
        Yup, only one Vermonter this year (Forgione), and none in the near future since we missed out on Finkelstein and Samuelsen.

Even the women's team only had one Vermonter this year (Madi Litchfield), and she's graduating.

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
          I stated we were no better dip****. 1 Vermonter would be equivelent to probably 8 Mass kids based on population pool btw.

Comment

I stated we were no better dip****. 1 Vermonter would be equivelent to probably 8 Mass kids based on population pool btw.
            Also Vermont is not a "hockey" state that Mass likes to claim. You would think the State schools whose primary mission is to benefit the state of MA would make an effort. VT, that is a "ski" state, at least has 1/4 of the ski team from VT (7 of 29).

My overall summation was a momentary cynicism of all things college sports and what it has become not so much a dig at Lowell. Lowell just triggered it...:--)

Comment

Actually did the math and it would be 11-1.

Comment

Puskarich got his first pro point on Friday night, an assist

Comment

You would think the State schools whose primary mission is to benefit the state of MA would make an effort.
                  Not sure how you can say they aren't making an effort. The fact is they are trying to recruit kids from MA, but those kids are choosing to go elsewhere. Development of Massachusetts hockey players is not the goal of the hockey program. It is to put a good product on the ice, and develop players and people. Your view here seems antiquated, we live in a global society.
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                    Not sure how you can say they aren't making an effort. The fact is they are trying to recruit kids from MA, but those kids are choosing to go elsewhere. Development of Massachusetts hockey players is not the goal of the hockey program. It is to put a good product on the ice, and develop players and people. Your view here seems antiquated, we live in a global society.
                    Let's be honest, anyone from Mass already knows how terrible Lowell, Massachusetts is so UML is never going to recruit well in the state.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

[QUOTE= It is to put a good product on the ice, and develop players and people. Your view here seems antiquated, we live in a global society.[/QUOTE]

Like I said there was a momentary lapse of reason. I agree to some degree but I am not sure my tax dollars should be subsidizing a 3 year scholarship for Canadian kids to come here for 3 years after which a few might make the NHL and the other 95% will sign with one of the minor professional hockey/European leagues. They aren't here to integrate and provide cultural diversity for the school. And outside of Nick's funny comment below, Lowell has put a solid product on the ice for 5-8 years so some of those Mass/Northeast kids who wouldn't have gone in the past due to it not being a premiere program now would be more tempted to go to Lowell. I would like to see the NCAA mandate that foreign athletes can only be offered a 50% scholarship. If they are here to be STUDENT athletes then they will be willing to pay half and like all students could request need based student aid for the remainder if they are low income. I am not sure how you would enforce it with the "Non-Scholarship" schools....

That is enough on this stupid topic....let's get back to reality of our NC$$ system.

Comment

I agree to some degree but I am not sure my tax dollars should be subsidizing a 3 year scholarship for Canadian kids to come here for 3 years after which a few might make the NHL and the other 95% will sign with one of the minor professional hockey/European leagues. They aren't here to integrate and provide cultural diversity for the school. And outside of Nick's funny comment below, Lowell has put a solid product on the ice for 5-8 years so some of those Mass/Northeast kids who wouldn't have gone in the past due to it not being a premiere program now would be more tempted to go to Lowell. I would like to see the NCAA mandate that foreign athletes can only be offered a 50% scholarship. If they are here to be STUDENT athletes then they will be willing to pay half and like all students could request need based student aid for the remainder if they are low income. I am not sure how you would enforce it with the "Non-Scholarship" schools....

That is enough on this stupid topic....let's get back to reality of our NC$$ system.
                        Looking past the jingoism, you realize for most schools hockey is a revenue sport right? That means your taxes arent going to athletic scholarships for hockey...
                        BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Let's be honest, anyone from Mass already knows how terrible Lowell, Massachusetts is so UML is never going to recruit well in the state.
                          You'll hear no argument from me, the quality of kids in Mass Lowell would want to recruit have better offers location wise. And many times in terms of ranking of education. Fortunately they make the decisions not us.
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

UVM carries a much larger roster than most other teams so they have less scholarship $$ to offer to their recruits. It seems that every year they bring in more recruits than there are "openings".

Comment

Originally posted by Nosmo King View Post
                              UVM carries a much larger roster than most other teams so they have less scholarship $$ to offer to their recruits. It seems that every year they bring in more recruits than there are "openings".
                              Especially up front. We ended the season with 19 Fs and 8 D

Comment

Fun fact: Rob Hamilton's 10 goals this year was the first double-digit output by a UVM defender since [s]Matt Winnicki scored 15 in 83/84[/s].

EDIT: EliteProspects had Winnicki listed wrong, it's been brought to my attention he's a forward. Looks like that is the first double digit output by a defender since Louis Côté in the 70s.
                                Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 03-23-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X