Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 145

Thread: Coaching Carousel

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Case13 View Post
    Wasn't comparing those two head to head at all.... I was thinking more why can't a school like Penn State go out and get a current D1 HC/Assoc/Asst that wins? There's a lot of names that come to mind and women's hockey isnt exactly a springboard to the nhl so if these coaches want whats best for their families, why not take the pay day? Big ten schools are going to have money they need to spend on female sports with the new tv deal. Title nine works great in that way!
    I'd ask you to name the other coaches you might be thinking about but it's a moot point. Penn State already made their decision in advance when they brought Jackson on board in the fall. They knew then that they planned to get rid of Brandwene and replace him with Jackson, so any speculation to any other coach is a waste of time. Jackson will be the next head coach and we all know it.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    333

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Penn State already made their decision in advance when they brought Jackson on board in the fall. They knew then that they planned to get rid of Brandwene...
    I think this is exactly right, and Penn State did all the searching they were going to do when they hired Jackson.

    I wonder if he plans on bringing in another assistant, so Lisa Marshall can focus on goalie coaching.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I think this is exactly right, and Penn State did all the searching they were going to do when they hired Jackson.

    I wonder if he plans on bringing in another assistant, so Lisa Marshall can focus on goalie coaching.
    I'd say that's a given since the standard D1 coaching staff seems to be three full-time paid coaches. My guess is once he is announced as the new head coach a posting for a new assistant coach will quickly follow.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    I'd say that's a given since the standard D1 coaching staff seems to be three full-time paid coaches. My guess is once he is announced as the new head coach a posting for a new assistant coach will quickly follow.
    Does that thinking change any with Idalski available?

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    333

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Does that thinking change any with Idalski available?
    I'd rather get Peter Elander and his international recruiting reach.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I'd rather get Peter Elander and his international recruiting reach.
    Or both!

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Does that thinking change any with Idalski available?
    Not in the least. The plan at Penn State is in stone. See my earlier posts for further comments and opinions on your question.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I'd rather get Peter Elander and his international recruiting reach.
    That's really a minor part of recruiting for D1 and not going to be as big of a difference maker as getting a proven coach with a very good reputation like Jackson.

  9. #49
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,189

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    State already made their decision in advance when they brought Jackson on board in the fall. They knew then that they planned to get rid of Brandwene and replace him with Jackson, so any speculation to any other coach is a waste of time.
    If that is truly what they did, then it would appear that the program likes to waste time. Why spend another six months with a head coach that you don't want if you'd rather have a newly-hired assistant? Just hire him to be the HC and don't throw away a season.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    If that is truly what they did, then it would appear that the program likes to waste time. Why spend another six months with a head coach that you don't want if you'd rather have a newly-hired assistant? Just hire him to be the HC and don't throw away a season.
    Don't ask me how they operate the way they do. If I had been in charge I wouldn't have hired an unqualified and inexperienced alum in the first place. Just watch though, Dean will be named.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,447

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Don't ask me how they operate the way they do. If I had been in charge I wouldn't have hired an unqualified and inexperienced alum in the first place. Just watch though, Dean will be named.
    Pure speculation, but:

    - They were still investigating complaints about Brandwene last off-season I believe and hadn't come to final conclusions but likely wanted to have a qualified backup depending on which way they decided to go (and most etablished D1 coaches aren't going to take a future potential position regardless of the salary if they get there).
    - Brandwene probably had a multi-year contract that ended this season and they didn't want to pay two head coaches.
    - Given the recent history at PS regarding coach treatment of players, they didn't want to create any sort of a potential uproar by dismissing a coach who was being complained in the middle of his contract - now it is just a nice, "decided to go elsewhere" situation that nobody except this forum noticed.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,267

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    @MikeMcMahonCHN: Providence women’s hockey coach, Bob Deraney, signs a contract extension. Terms not disclosed.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    333

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    ...now it is just a nice, "decided to go elsewhere" situation that nobody except this forum noticed.
    I don't think anybody bought that "family medical leave" story. Anyone I spoke to at games had the same reaction - it was nothing but Penn State's way of making bad news fade away quietly, because firing Brandwene would have required an explanation, and that would've come with some dirt. Those same people I spoke to didn't really care why he was leaving, either, as long as he left. In any case, fans are ready for the Dean Jackson era and a fresh start.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,447

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I don't think anybody bought that "family medical leave" story. Anyone I spoke to at games had the same reaction - it was nothing but Penn State's way of making bad news fade away quietly, because firing Brandwene would have required an explanation, and that would've come with some dirt. Those same people I spoke to didn't really care why he was leaving, either, as long as he left. In any case, fans are ready for the Dean Jackson era and a fresh start.
    Agreed. Penn State did a good job of managing the Brandwene mess from a publicity standpoint by not allowing it to become another negative coach behavior story. And they did that while still managing to replace the coach. Good for everyone (except the girls who had to play for him I guess).

  15. #55
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by Case13 View Post
    But why wouldnt a school with top 5 resources in all of college athletics not do a real search. top 5 pay, top 5 budget, easy auto bis every year assuming the CHA keeps 6 teams. The place ooooozes potential. Why settle for a d3 coach when you could easily steal a proven d1 coach? if he ends up the best option, hire him but in the meantime try to steal a great coach.
    Not quite. I've been researching and compiling the NCAA financial reports for every public school sponsoring DI hockey for men or women and the EADA reports for all the private schools. Of the 39 schools which have or had DI women's hockey between 2009 and 2016 I have some numbers for 36 (missing UMD, SCSU and MSUM) and Penn State's 4 year average total expenses come in at 7th. The game day operating expenses were 6th overall and 7th per capita. As for coaching expenses, Penn State does not release head coach or assistant coaches total compensation, but total coaches compensation can be inferred. PSU's 4 year average was 3rd of 10 schools that I have the information for, while year-by-year the coaches compensation for 2016 were 4th of ten.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Not quite. I've been researching and compiling the NCAA financial reports for every public school sponsoring DI hockey for men or women and the EADA reports for all the private schools. Of the 39 schools which have or had DI women's hockey between 2009 and 2016 I have some numbers for 36 (missing UMD, SCSU and MSUM) and Penn State's 4 year average total expenses come in at 7th. The game day operating expenses were 6th overall and 7th per capita. As for coaching expenses, Penn State does not release head coach or assistant coaches total compensation, but total coaches compensation can be inferred. PSU's 4 year average was 3rd of 10 schools that I have the information for, while year-by-year the coaches compensation for 2016 were 4th of ten.

    Sean
    All of which means nothing to the rest of us. Thanks for the detailed explanation with no detailed numbers to go with the explanation. You're fired.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    333

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation with no detailed numbers to go with the explanation. You're fired.
    You're supposed to offer him a clean quiet exit, like...oh, say, a family medical leave or something like that.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Not quite. I've been researching and compiling the NCAA financial reports for every public school sponsoring DI hockey for men or women and the EADA reports for all the private schools. Of the 39 schools which have or had DI women's hockey between 2009 and 2016 I have some numbers for 36 (missing UMD, SCSU and MSUM) and Penn State's 4 year average total expenses come in at 7th. The game day operating expenses were 6th overall and 7th per capita. As for coaching expenses, Penn State does not release head coach or assistant coaches total compensation, but total coaches compensation can be inferred. PSU's 4 year average was 3rd of 10 schools that I have the information for, while year-by-year the coaches compensation for 2016 were 4th of ten.

    Sean
    So what is the going rate for a D1 vs a D3 coach these days? Everyone seems to imply that Dean Jackson is going to be rolling in the dough! I get the extra budgets and comforts of running a D1 program, but what's the difference that actually goes into his jeans?

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,447

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    So what is the going rate for a D1 vs a D3 coach these days? Everyone seems to imply that Dean Jackson is going to be rolling in the dough! I get the extra budgets and comforts of running a D1 program, but what's the difference that actually goes into his jeans?
    Hugely varying, but probably on the order of $30-50K incremental between average D3 and average D1. But some D3 head coaches aren't even full time employees with benefits (see Salem State for instance). And D1 U Maine pays their head coach like $50-60K I think. So it's really all over the map.

  20. #60
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    All of which means nothing to the rest of us. Thanks for the detailed explanation with no detailed numbers to go with the explanation. You're fired.
    Here are the average total expenses for all 39 DI programs between 2009-16. The number in parenthesis is the number of years averaged:
    Wisconsin (6) $4,657,511
    Syracuse University (7) $2,039,380
    Boston University (7) $1,986,244
    Minnesota (7) $1,725,951
    Quinnipiac (7) $1,702,663
    Northeastern (7) $1,650,699
    Penn State (4) $1,625,439
    New Hampshire (7) $1,612,720
    Minnesota-Duluth (7) $1,574,007
    Providence (7) $1,570,646
    Rensselaer (7) $1,563,505
    Ohio State (7) $1,559,670
    Clarkson (7) $1,507,890
    St. Lawrence (7) $1,445,256
    Boston College (7) $1,440,327
    North Dakota (7) $1,396,645
    Colgate (7) $1,381,199
    Mercyhurst (7) $1,335,967
    Vermont (7) $1,292,867
    Connectticut (6) $1,286,821
    Merrimack (7) $1,270,381
    Bemidji State (1) $1,261,239
    Niagara (3) $1,112,251
    Robert Morris (7) $1,039,815
    St. Clous State (7) $972,549
    Maine (7) $857,794
    Minnesota State (7) $837,486
    Wayne State (2) $754,576
    Dartmouth (7) $693,991
    Cornell (7) $670,086
    Harvard (7) $626,158
    Lindenwood (5) $592,763
    Yale (7) $586,375
    Holy Cross (7) $538,558
    Brown (7) $528,105
    Princeton (7) $524,302
    RIT (7) $440,290
    Sacred Heart (7) $408,762
    Union College (7) $392,908

    Here are the expenses for 2016:
    Wisconsin $2,947,794
    Minnesota $2,368,675
    Syracuse University $2,229,744
    North Dakota $2,132,160
    Ohio State $2,067,516
    Penn State $1,964,107
    Quinnipiac $1,963,711
    Boston University $1,920,447
    Providence $1,883,943
    Northeastern $1,859,094
    Boston College $1,803,141
    Clarkson $1,730,918
    Connectticut $1,684,595
    St. Lawrence $1,642,123
    Rensselaer $1,623,794
    New Hampshire $1,622,109
    Colgate $1,587,479
    Mercyhurst $1,515,156
    Minnesota-Duluth $1,473,693
    Vermont $1,422,875
    Merrimack $1,270,381
    Robert Morris $1,203,848
    St. Clous State $1,176,905
    Dartmouth $1,039,449
    Minnesota State $924,476
    Maine $897,610
    Cornell $752,749
    Yale $718,140
    Harvard $717,871
    Lindenwood $697,847
    Princeton $650,861
    RIT $638,356
    Brown $548,480
    Union College $511,460
    Holy Cross $478,020
    Sacred Heart $351,518

    Here are the average game day operating expenses (travel, equipment & uniforms, and game day expenses only):
    Wisconsin (6) $611,749
    Syracuse University (7) $444,837
    Boston University (7) $408,335
    Minnesota (7) $361,157
    Quinnipiac (7) $349,018
    Northeastern (7) $311,674
    Penn State (4) $307,441
    New Hampshire (7) $258,856
    Minnesota-Duluth (7) $258,107
    Providence (7) $240,692
    Rensselaer (7) $226,083
    Ohio State (7) $209,705
    Clarkson (7) $190,057
    St. Lawrence (7) $188,106
    Boston College (7) $186,777
    North Dakota (7) $176,900
    Colgate (7) $175,809
    Mercyhurst (7) $175,043
    Vermont (7) $170,926
    Connectticut (6) $170,687
    Merrimack (7) $169,459
    Bemidji State (1) $167,211
    Niagara (3) $163,801
    Robert Morris (7) $161,064
    St. Clous State (7) $161,061
    Maine (7) $158,046
    Minnesota State (7) $152,241
    Wayne State (2) $151,857
    Dartmouth (7) $151,819
    Cornell (7) $150,981
    Harvard (7) $146,417
    Lindenwood (5) $139,104
    Yale (7) $137,019
    Holy Cross (7) $135,596
    Brown (7) $121,718
    Princeton (7) $118,666
    RIT (7) $108,470
    Sacred Heart (7) $106,156
    Union College (7) $74,861

    Here are the 2016 game day operating expenses:
    Wisconsin $638,598
    Ohio State $564,222
    North Dakota $551,623
    Minnesota $427,562
    Minnesota-Duluth $347,722
    Penn State $320,547
    St. Clous State $307,848
    Minnesota State $292,113
    Dartmouth $239,335
    Mercyhurst $225,493
    RIT $222,861
    Yale $216,965
    Boston University $201,862
    Clarkson $201,349
    Colgate $199,737
    Connectticut $199,074
    Rensselaer $195,881
    Syracuse University $194,433
    Boston College $192,754
    Lindenwood $192,271
    Robert Morris $190,755
    Princeton $186,128
    Union College $183,771
    Vermont $178,221
    Harvard $176,535
    Providence $171,906
    Cornell $171,456
    New Hampshire $167,718
    Brown $158,094
    St. Lawrence $156,807
    Northeastern $146,260
    Sacred Heart $126,128
    Merrimack $121,718
    Maine $114,540
    Holy Cross $102,796
    Quinnipiac $68,805

    Here are the average per capita game day operating expenses:
    Wisconsin (6) $25,593
    Bemidji State (1) $17,109
    Ohio State (7) $16,263
    Minnesota (7) $15,600
    North Dakota (7) $13,865
    Minnesota-Duluth (7) $13,746
    St. Clous State (7) $12,937
    Boston University (7) $10,204
    Minnesota State (7) $10,026
    Penn State (4) $9,722
    Mercyhurst (7) $9,494
    Rensselaer (7) $9,353
    Wayne State (2) $8,957
    Dartmouth (7) $8,556
    Clarkson (7) $8,205
    Connectticut (6) $7,980
    Syracuse University (7) $7,915
    Vermont (7) $7,738
    Colgate (7) $7,687
    Lindenwood (5) $7,640
    Princeton (7) $7,585
    RIT (7) $7,325
    Boston College (7) $7,301
    Cornell (7) $7,292
    New Hampshire (7) $7,027
    Brown (7) $6,944
    Union College (7) $6,719
    Harvard (7) $6,553
    Yale (7) $6,452
    Northeastern (7) $6,274
    St. Lawrence (7) $5,880
    Providence (7) $5,807
    Merrimack (7) $5,796
    Robert Morris (7) $5,642
    Niagara (3) $5,360
    Maine (7) $4,791
    Quinnipiac (7) $4,115
    Sacred Heart (7) $3,844
    Holy Cross (7) $3,009

    Here are the 2016 per capita game day operating expenses:
    Wisconsin $27,765
    North Dakota $22,065
    Ohio State $20,897
    Minnesota $17,102
    Minnesota-Duluth $15,806
    St. Clous State $12,827
    Penn State $11,872
    Minnesota State $11,685
    Dartmouth $10,879
    Clarkson $9,588
    RIT $9,286
    Syracuse University $9,259
    Lindenwood $9,156
    Colgate $9,079
    Yale $9,040
    Rensselaer $8,904
    Boston University $8,777
    Union College $8,751
    Robert Morris $8,671
    Vermont $8,487
    Princeton $8,460
    Mercyhurst $8,352
    Connectticut $8,295
    Boston College $8,031
    Brown $7,528
    Cornell $7,455
    Harvard $7,356
    New Hampshire $6,988
    Providence $6,612
    St. Lawrence $6,534
    Northeastern $5,850
    Merrimack $5,796
    Maine $4,242
    Sacred Heart $4,204
    Holy Cross $4,112
    Quinnipiac $2,867

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •