X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Carousel

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      What a joke this AD is. Nothing personal against Vines but here's another hiring of a person with no experience in women's hockey. Another insult to the coaches and players of our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        What a joke this AD is. Nothing personal against Vines but here's another hiring of a person with no experience in women's hockey. Another insult to the coaches and players of our sport.
        Wonder how many of the players were asked their opinion? Oh yeah who cares what the women players think. Someone should really dig into this, I think there is more to this whole thing.

Well good luck women and Vines, change of pace and systems was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
          Wonder how many of the players were asked their opinion? Oh yeah who cares what the women players think. Someone should really dig into this, I think there is more to this whole thing.

Well good luck women and Vines, change of pace and systems was needed.
          He's RPI's third straight women's head coach who was a men's AC at RPI.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Did Cahill have experience in women's hockey? Did Burke? I bet if you surveyed the coaches out there, a vast minority of them didn't have experience in women's hockey before being hired. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it sounds like you are one bitter person when it comes to this stuff.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
              Did Cahill have experience in women's hockey? Did Burke? I bet if you surveyed the coaches out there, a vast minority of them didn't have experience in women's hockey before being hired. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it sounds like you are one bitter person when it comes to this stuff.
              Off the top of my head, didn't Derraugh at Cornell and Wells at SLU, both successful coaches, move from their respective men's program to the women's side?

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                Women's hockey in its modern incarnation has been around long enough that there are many very qualified coaches that have been dedicated to the sport for long enough to be considered for jobs like this before an AD "needs" to look at his men's hockey staff for "help," including the two assistants that are already part of the RPI women's hockey staff, especially for an interim position. So in this case you have 4 assistant coaches, 2 on the women's team and 2 on the men's team. How do you decide that a men's assistant is a better choice than a women's assistant?! It's a slap in the faces to both women's assistants right there at RPI as well as any other women's coaches elsewhere that might have wanted a crack at that job. The message sent here is men's hockey coaches are a "better" option and that's a big crock of you know what. Pardon me if I prefer to see coaches that are and have been committed to women's hockey be rewarded by getting to fill these jobs instead of the old school approach of turning to an assistant coach from the men's team to "save the day." If I was either of the RPI women's assistants I'd already be looking for a new job after being insulted like this.

Comment

Derraugh played for the Cornell men's team back in the 90s, but he was't a coach for the men's team. With that said, I don't recall seeing prior women's hockey coaching experience as part of his bio.

Comment

Women's hockey in its modern incarnation has been around long enough that there are many very qualified coaches that have been dedicated to the sport for long enough to be considered for jobs like this before an AD "needs" to look at his men's hockey staff for "help," including the two assistants that are already part of the RPI women's hockey staff, especially for an interim position. So in this case you have 4 assistant coaches, 2 on the women's team and 2 on the men's team. How do you decide that a men's assistant is a better choice than a women's assistant?! It's a slap in the faces to both women's assistants right there at RPI as well as any other women's coaches elsewhere that might have wanted a crack at that job. The message sent here is men's hockey coaches are a "better" option and that's a big crock of you know what. Pardon me if I prefer to see coaches that are and have been committed to women's hockey be rewarded by getting to fill these jobs instead of the old school approach of turning to an assistant coach from the men's team to "save the day." If I was either of the RPI women's assistants I'd already be looking for a new job after being insulted like this.
                    Let's say you're an AD. You fire a head coach that has been there for 14 years because of lack of success/progress. You are going to hire an interim coach. Would you appoint one of the assistant coaches that was hired by the head coach you just fired and presumably is aligned with his thinking/methodology? Probably not, even if just for the appearance. Also, Vine has a much more substantial coaching history. I don't agree with the whole firing timing and the interim approach, but if you're going to do it I wouldn't have picked an assistant to be the head coach.

Weirdly, Burke is still listed as the head coach on the website and Vine is not listed as a men's assistant, so I have to believe that he was cut loose by the new men's coach prior to this. So he is also probably pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      Far more resources, including, I suspect, those devoted to the coach's salary.
                      There is NOTHING at RPI that would make it a more attractive position than Penn State - school, location, facilities, hockey history, team, scholarships, administrative support, ease of admission, .... NOTHING! Penn State is even comparable in engineering/technical education (which didn't use to be the case).

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        Let's say you're an AD. You fire a head coach that has been there for 14 years because of lack of success/progress. You are going to hire an interim coach. Would you appoint one of the assistant coaches that was hired by the head coach you just fired and presumably is aligned with his thinking/methodology? Probably not, even if just for the appearance. Also, Vine has a much more substantial coaching history. I don't agree with the whole firing timing and the interim approach, but if you're going to do it I wouldn't have picked an assistant to be the head coach.

Weirdly, Burke is still listed as the head coach on the website and Vine is not listed as a men's assistant, so I have to believe that he was cut loose by the new men's coach prior to this. So he is also probably pretty cheap.
                        Burke was indeed cut by Dave Smith and replaced recently by Dan Jewell. Vines also probably wants to remain in Troy since his wife Sachi Ena Vines is the Athletic Department's Director of Marketing & Promotions. http://www.rpiathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=174
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Burke was indeed cut by Dave Smith and replaced recently by Dan Jewell. Vines also probably wants to remain in Troy since his wife Sachi Ena Vines is the Athletic Department's Director of Marketing & Promotions. http://www.rpiathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=174
                          Burke? You mean Vines, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            You mean Vines was cut by Smith.

"Vines also probably wants to remain in Troy since his wife Sachi Ena Vines is the Athletic Department's Director of Marketing & Promotions."

Ah, so there's your answer to the there's more going on here than meets the eye question. Vines owes his new job to his wife. Pretty simple.

It makes me wonder, if Smith had kept Vines would Burke still have his job?! I'm willing to bet he would. The AD obviously valued keeping Vines and his wife more than keeping Burke. It explains the timing of Burke's release and the quick announcement of Vine's appointment as interim. This was all mapped out long before Saturday's announcement of Burke's firing. Ruthless AD. Does Burke now have grounds for a lawsuit???
                            Last edited by shelfit; 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I don't know enough about the coaching situation at RPI to comment one way or another on the previous discussion. However, in reading his Bio I would think this would be somewhat encouraging to fans of the RPI women's program.

"As a student-athlete with the Pioneers, Vines captained the team in the 2001-02 season when they won the WCHA regular season championship, the playoff championship and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament. He was the recipient of the Sportsmanship Award — the third of his career — as well as the Most Inspirational Player Award and the Strength & Conditioning Athlete of the Year for all DU student-athletes."
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                I don't know enough about the coaching situation at RPI to comment one way or another on the previous discussion. However, in reading his Bio I would think this would be somewhat encouraging to fans of the RPI women's program.

"As a student-athlete with the Pioneers, Vines captained the team in the 2001-02 season when they won the WCHA regular season championship, the playoff championship and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament. He was the recipient of the Sportsmanship Award — the third of his career — as well as the Most Inspirational Player Award and the Strength & Conditioning Athlete of the Year for all DU student-athletes."
                                No offense, I don't know Vines at all and it's great he worked and received these awards BUT just how is this especially encouraging?

With Sachi already being part of the ADs staff it does reek of possible nepotism.

I still think there's more to the release being so late, it doesn't make sense. What, an AD never had two coaching vacancies at once?

I think it's a stretch to think that since Smith let go of Vines that gave McElroy the reason to let go of Burke. The record was more than enough reason on it's own. Hate to bring it up but SA and JB had similar records, AD fires SA because it's a men's program and not acceptable, but doesn't hold the women's coach to the same standard. Reminds me a bit of Union, and Title IX.
                                Last edited by Northbynorthwest; 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X