Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
    No offense, I don't know Vines at all and it's great he worked and received these awards BUT just how is this especially encouraging?

With Sachi already being part of the ADs staff it does reek of possible nepotism.

I still think there's more to the release being so late, it doesn't make sense. What, an AD never had two coaching vacancies at once?

I think it's a stretch to think that since Smith let go of Vines that gave McElroy the reason to let go of Burke. The record was more than enough reason on it's own. Hate to bring it up but SA and JB had similar records, AD fires SA because it's a men's program and not acceptable, but doesn't hold the women's coach to the same standard. Reminds me a bit of Union.
    Spot on. Agree 100%.

Comment

• Re: Coaching Carousel

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      Burke? You mean Vines, right?
      Sorry. You are correct of course.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
        I still think there's more to the release being so late, it doesn't make sense. What, an AD never had two coaching vacancies at once?
        Totally don't believe that the real reason they waited is that they could only do 1 national search at a time. I mean, it is even stupid for the AD to say something along those lines - makes him look like an idiot.

More likely, something like this:
        - School economics at RPI are not very good (debt is very low rated and they are struggling financially). This is a result (by majority opinion of alumni) of extremely poor fiscal management by the current administration and high investment in fringe areas (a massively expensive state of the art performing arts center at RPI??? Seriously??).
        - The school has seriously upgraded its investment in D3 programs - see the football stadium and other new facilities that have been built in the last ~10 years. My guess is that these are imposing a very large depreciation and maintenance expense on the school that they probably poorly planned for. Additionally, many of these programs have been successful and they realize they are more of a draw for the school then D1 women's hockey.
        - Severance packages, coach searches, and hiring coaches can be expensive. They probably have severe budget restrictions related to above and a salary cap on coach expenses. They needed to figure out how much the men's coaches were going to absorb of the available funding before they proceeded with the women's team. My guess is was a lot and more than they expected.
        - Burke is probably well paid given he has been the HC for 14 years and likely has gotten annual raises. Cutting him was a savings (and easily justified). They will use a low paid interim this season, solving a short term budget issue for next season.
        - They will do a national search next year in a different budget year when they can afford it. And they will go all U Maine on it to keep the costs down by underpaying the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
          No offense, I don't know Vines at all and it's great he worked and received these awards BUT just how is this especially encouraging?
          "Especially encouraging" is your wording...Not what I said. How is it not SOMEWHAT encouraging to know that when the guy talks the talk he has actually walked the walk with sportsmanship and was seen by his peers as inspirational? Seems like pretty good qualities to have in a leader.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Dartmouth hits a grand slam on the interim coach!!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211640490
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Dartmouth hits a grand slam on the interim coach!!
                http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211640490
                Well looks like someone really knows how to search and find what should be a really good interim coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
                  Well looks like someone really knows how to search and find what should be a really good interim coach.
                  A one year stint for a coach with little or no experience coaching women. Will be a learning experience for both coach and players.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    A one year stint for a coach with little or no experience coaching women. Will be a learning experience for both coach and players.
                    True to some extent, but he doesn't need to recruit, and frankly may give the team a different perspective that could have them playing better. Most parts of the game are COMPLETELY the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                      Two former Wildcats behind the bench at Dartmouth~
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                      X