Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Carousel

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    The way hiring requirements are, especially at public universities, it could be they are required to do a national search before formally naming him the head coach.
    I hope that's the case. I'd like to see at least one full season out of Dean Jackson as head coach, instead of him having to just play cleanup with Brandwene's system like he did for the end of 2016-17. In any case, I hope Penn State learned something from having used the good ol' boy network to find a coach the first time, and does it right this time.

Comment

The way hiring requirements are, especially at public universities, it could be they are required to do a national search before formally naming him the head coach.
      Yes I'm almost 100% sure you are right about that. This is really a formality of paperwork to satisfy all necessary parties in order to officially hire Dean as the new head coach. Very interesting path for him to have been put on there but I'm sure he isn't complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Yes I'm almost 100% sure you are right about that. This is really a formality of paperwork to satisfy all necessary parties in order to officially hire Dean as the new head coach. Very interesting path for him to have been put on there but I'm sure he isn't complaining.
        Look at Jackson's replacement at Elmira and Tyng at Colby. Both rode the whole season on interim tags before being confirmed recently as permanent. Colby even went as far as posting the job to the AHCA job board a few weeks ago before announcing Tyng would remain as the permanent HC.

As for Jackson, I imagine he's having the time of his life, especially getting to play with a D1 budget and facilities...

Comment

Look at Jackson's replacement at Elmira and Tyng at Colby. Both rode the whole season on interim tags before being confirmed recently as permanent. Colby even went as far as posting the job to the AHCA job board a few weeks ago before announcing Tyng would remain as the permanent HC.

As for Jackson, I imagine he's having the time of his life, especially getting to play with a D1 budget and facilities...
          ....um, and salary too! No question that he's a lucky guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            Josh Brandwene has resigned from coaching, and a national search is underway for a new head coach. I have no idea why they don't let Dean Jackson take over the program.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...041917aaa.html
            Because there is a highly qualified staff available with plenty of D1 experience and success...UND
            Last edited by bc6696; 04-20-2017, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
              Because there is a highly qualified staff available with plenty of D1 experience and success...UND
              OMG, I'd take Dean Jackson over any of the coaches on that staff any day!

Comment

I don't know anything about ND's Brian Idalski and his coaching style, but I think Penn State is happy to have Dean Jackson's style behind the bench, and from the chatter at the games the players have really responded to Jackson, too. Penn State is probably just happy to officially have Brandwene's off-ice issues fade away with him now. I guess Penn State will run the required "search for a coach" process and then sign Jackson to a contract at the end of it all.

A pretty good news week for Penn State women's hockey - hosting the 2022 Frozen Four at Pegula Ice Arena, and a fresh start with a new head coach next season.

Comment

But why wouldnt a school with top 5 resources in all of college athletics not do a real search. top 5 pay, top 5 budget, easy auto bis every year assuming the CHA keeps 6 teams. The place ooooozes potential. Why settle for a d3 coach when you could easily steal a proven d1 coach? if he ends up the best option, hire him but in the meantime try to steal a great coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Case13 View Post
                    But why wouldnt a school with top 5 resources in all of college athletics not do a real search. top 5 pay, top 5 budget, easy auto bis every year assuming the CHA keeps 6 teams. The place ooooozes potential. Why settle for a d3 coach when you could easily steal a proven d1 coach? if he ends up the best option, hire him but in the meantime try to steal a great coach.
                    Jackson has a national championship to his credit and he's very likeable. Idalski is not as likeable of a person or coach and he's never really won anything. Winning is winning no matter if it's at the D1 or D3 level. Jackson wins this head to head contest hands down.

Comment

Jackson has a national championship to his credit and he's very likeable. Idalski is not as likeable of a person or coach and he's never really won anything. Winning is winning no matter if it's at the D1 or D3 level. Jackson wins this head to head contest hands down.
                      Wasn't comparing those two head to head at all.... I was thinking more why can't a school like Penn State go out and get a current D1 HC/Assoc/Asst that wins? There's a lot of names that come to mind and women's hockey isnt exactly a springboard to the nhl so if these coaches want whats best for their families, why not take the pay day? Big ten schools are going to have money they need to spend on female sports with the new tv deal. Title nine works great in that way!

Comment

Originally posted by Case13 View Post
                        Wasn't comparing those two head to head at all.... I was thinking more why can't a school like Penn State go out and get a current D1 HC/Assoc/Asst that wins? There's a lot of names that come to mind and women's hockey isnt exactly a springboard to the nhl so if these coaches want whats best for their families, why not take the pay day? Big ten schools are going to have money they need to spend on female sports with the new tv deal. Title nine works great in that way!
                        I'd ask you to name the other coaches you might be thinking about but it's a moot point. Penn State already made their decision in advance when they brought Jackson on board in the fall. They knew then that they planned to get rid of Brandwene and replace him with Jackson, so any speculation to any other coach is a waste of time. Jackson will be the next head coach and we all know it.

Comment

Penn State already made their decision in advance when they brought Jackson on board in the fall. They knew then that they planned to get rid of Brandwene...
                          I think this is exactly right, and Penn State did all the searching they were going to do when they hired Jackson.

I wonder if he plans on bringing in another assistant, so Lisa Marshall can focus on goalie coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                            I think this is exactly right, and Penn State did all the searching they were going to do when they hired Jackson.

I wonder if he plans on bringing in another assistant, so Lisa Marshall can focus on goalie coaching.
                            I'd say that's a given since the standard D1 coaching staff seems to be three full-time paid coaches. My guess is once he is announced as the new head coach a posting for a new assistant coach will quickly follow.

Comment

I'd say that's a given since the standard D1 coaching staff seems to be three full-time paid coaches. My guess is once he is announced as the new head coach a posting for a new assistant coach will quickly follow.
                              Does that thinking change any with Idalski available?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                                Does that thinking change any with Idalski available?
                                I'd rather get Peter Elander and his international recruiting reach.

Comment

Working...
                                X